• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

13 minutes ago, Mitchel Volk said:

1973 was an incredible ice storm for NYC, 1994 Staten Island had one

Yeah I was living out on LI for the ‘94 one, but I don’t recall seeing any footage of ice accretion in NYC. I’d imagine it must be pretty tough to get that in a major urban center like Manhattan. Was it unusually cold at the surface in ‘73?

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Interiors turn to cash in

It's a nice thought. But I have a bad feeling if this trends south on other guidance it will end up BOS cashing in again... especially with an extended period of easterly flow Ocean enhancement, while we get rain to freezing rain.

Regardless of who cashes in snow-wise, it would be great if this trends towards a primarily wintry event for our region. That would be a big win when the overall synoptics could easily favor a warm solution.

7 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Yeah I was living out on LI for the ‘94 one, but I don’t recall seeing any footage of ice accretion in NYC. I’d imagine it must be pretty tough to get that in a major urban center like Manhattan. Was it unusually cold at the surface in ‘73?

Yes my parents return to Oceanside LI where I grew up with 2 inches of ice in the car and Oceanside had just rain.  In 1994 NYC had snow and sleet.  But when I did field work and went to Staten Island everythwas glazed in about .5” of ice, it was beautiful 

4 hours ago, Mitchel Volk said:

Yes my parents return to Oceanside LI where I grew up with 2 inches of ice in the car and Oceanside had just rain.  In 1994 NYC had snow and sleet.  But when I did field work and went to Staten Island everythwas glazed in about .5” of ice, it was beautiful 

I remember an ice storm  in the early 70s in Oceanside where I could sit down outside our front door and slide all the way down the driveway into the street. The poor dog couldn't stay still to poop without sliding and falling over. Where did you live in town?

• Haha 1

The GFS is a huge outlier, not even going to bother talking about the UKMET, which is a really horrible model and its “snow” maps are severely overdone and totally inaccurate, it’s not snow, it’s showing sleet as snow. That aside, the ICON, CMC, Euro, EPS, RGEM, NAM all do not have this as a snow event. All their outputs show zero snow in the metro area and have it completely as a sleet and freezing rain event mainly north and west of NYC 

• Weenie 7

13 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

This is the wrong trend direction Nam. Go the other way. 

FineWeeklyAdeliepenguin-size_restricted.

The NAM has wild swings after HR 48 (as we saw big time last weekend). Wouldn't look at it until tomorrow 12Z plus its always overamped after hour 60. Stick to EURO/CMC/GFS blend and look at trends today

3 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

The NAM has wild swings after HR 48 (as we saw big time last weekend). Wouldn't look at it until tomorrow 12Z plus its always overamped after hour 60. Stick to EURO/CMC/GFS blend and look at trends today

Well yeah, not taking it to the bank. Just posting it. I'm more interested to see if the gfs holds onto it's idea with this. And which way the euro leans at 12z more than any other guidance right now. 

Reminder...if one is going to use precip maps in a mixed event like this could be, IMO, one has to use three maps to get a sense of what's actually going to happen, as per below for the 6Z GFS (or use the accumulated precip types maps at the bottom of this post, at least for the GFS/NAM).  

• For pure snowfall, use the Pivotal snowfall map
  • For pure freezing rain accretion, use the Pivotal freezing rain map (understanding that that is converting all rain falling at <32F as accreting freezing rain, which is a wost case)
  • For sleet, take the Tidbits "snowfall" map (which includes sleet as 10:1 snow), and kind of manually subtract out the pure snowfall from Pivotal and then divide that resulting "snowfall" (sleet) by 3 to get the sleet accumulation (given the roughly 3:1 frozen/liquid ratio for sleet vs. 10:1 for snow).  Actual sleet maps would be nice, since clearly that TT "snowfall" map is mostly sleet at a much lower ratio.   

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

zr_acc.us_ma.png

gfs_asnow_neus_17.png

Alternatively, for the GFS/NAM, at least, I know there are these precip type accumulation maps from cool.wx, below, which are nice, but not zoomed enough for me.  I know these offer the ability to get very detailed precip type accumulations for specific stations, like Newark and Central Park, but I can't seem to figure out how to get these from the site any more.  Anyone else use these?  

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getptype.cgi?region=ne&model=gfs&run=06&fhr=29&field=acctype

rhPRyc3.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic