Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022

cleetussnow

9 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

New City Rockland County checking in and everything here is white including the streets I had to go out and clean off the wifes car and threw down salt for her so she could get to work = somebody has to do it for her :D,,,now I am back in bed with a cup of hot tea

I went from haverstraw to pearl river about an hour ago.. side streets have some snow main roads are wet and just fine 

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I have noticed the eps following the gefs this whole winter with the MJO. I wonder if this is the case here again or a legit warmup will be on the way.

All the models have been too fast with the forcing changes going back to December. The convection has been stalling in place acting more like a standing wave. So the pattern change they were forecasting near the solstice got pushed back to January. Then they were too fast to weaken the January +PNA which is now continuing into February. The other thing is that the MJO has been competing with forcing in other locations. This month we have split forcing in the IO and WPAC at the same time. So we aren’t getting the typical MJO forcing response. That being said, the late February forecast will probably come down to whether we keep the split forcing or it consolidates more near the Maritime Continent. 

Split forcing pattern in IO and WPAC

F55F4CEC-A38E-4724-A249-B4D1913DEA31.thumb.png.6b754c44f56fd36190deb3b783010048.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This mornings snow has been surprising long lived. I figured maybe some flakes to start while it was still cold before it started transitioning but it has now been snowing for hours. While it was up to about a half inch it melted off most hard surfaces even though it has not stopped snowing the whole time, sun angle ;) , and it stopped accumulating elsewhere but isn't melting off the pre-existing icepack and has put a nice coating on exposed surfaces. It appears to be letting up now, the sky has brightened and the temp popped to 33 a few minutes ago, maybe we avoid the wet stuff up here? 

33/32/SE 0-1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The EPS is identical to the GEPS at day 15. The GEFS is on its own. The main difference between the GEPS and GEFS is the tropical convection. The GEFS is slower moving the forcing east from the IO than the GEPS. So the GEPS and EPS have more of a -PNA in late February with the convection closer to the Maritime Continent. 

8103DD17-9D15-4E31-8E17-C21B6FBBBF74.thumb.png.b33500797f9d4e866af16a12508b2363.png

The CFS weeklies are also identical to the GEPS and EPS, the tropical convective forcing change and the -AAM drop supports this. You also have a record breaking strong SPV which is coupling going into late month.  This time, the change is almost certainly real and this isn’t a week or 2 change, as depicted it is going to have staying power going into the beginning of March

All the more reason I hope we can squeak a decent storm in mid month. At least something fun to track regardless of the actual outcome. 

The excitement of tracking tornado season as I’ve always done every spring prior to joining this forum is always tempered by the human toll of such events. Winter storms, though potentially damaging in their own way, are just a lot more uniquely “fun.”

Still can’t believe NJ had an EF3 tornado this past year; that was absolutely nuts. Looked reminiscent of a southern multi vortex tornado. 

13 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Those RMM charts don't tell the whole story. Careful with those. 

It does imo because the euro charts are lingering in 2/3 longer now. Which is a nod to the American guidance. Even the olr maps are slower with the progression then the euro 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It does imo because the euro charts are lingering in 2/3 longer now. Which is a nod to the American guidance. Even the olr maps are slower with the progression then the euro 

Yeah I see what you mean. I actually think the gefs has done fairly well this year in the tropics. Euro guidance can get overamped sometimes late. I've seen it happen a couple times this season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Yeah I see what you mean. I actually think the gefs has done fairly well this year in the tropics. Euro guidance can get overamped sometimes late. I've seen it happen a couple times this season. 

Yes, the euro has been to quick with the mjo. Perfect example was when snowman kept saying rna for the end of January/two weeks of cold…..

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Greg g said:

Any update on the 12z suite regarding the valentine day threat??

Last night's Euro hit us with some snow, but today's 12z run is out to sea. GFS and GGEM are too far to the south and east as well. Obviously still plenty of time for it to trend closer. At least there is a potential storm, and it's not bad having the models too far south and east at this early point.

• Haha 1