• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

LSX calling for widespread 6 in plus across most of their forecast area and likely starting out as an icy mix of freezing rain/sleet. Potential for double digit amounts if some models are to be believed especially north of I-44. Interesting that this is going to play out on the anniversary of the 1982 surprise "blizzard" that paralyzed St Louis and surrounding areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ILSNOW said:

12z GEFS

image.png.e9edab129c2750e2258cb6e2aaf988ec.png

Interesting that the GEFS have a 6” mean all the way up to Kenosha. In this situation, though, the mean can be a bit deceptive. In other words, mean doesn’t equal “expected”. I’m guessing the vast majority of members show 0-2”, with a small # showing a wrapped up storm with 18”+…all leading to a mean of 6” in the end. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Interesting that the GEFS have a 6” mean all the way up to Kenosha. In this situation, though, the mean can be a bit deceptive. In other words, mean doesn’t equal “expected”. I’m guessing the vast majority of members show 0-2”, with a small # showing a wrapped up storm with 18”+…all leading to a mean of 6” in the end. 

Large % of members have more than 2" as there's a lake signal.  But your point is a good one.  Always check the individual members.

3 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

What plays into an operational run that can make it so different than it's ensemble's mean??  Always appreciate the vast amount of knowledge on this board, and the willingness to share and educate.  

It's a case of 1 vs many.  A modeler could explain this better but basically the ensemble members have tweaks made to them, which leads to varying solutions.  Sometimes the operational run of a model will look like many of its ensembles but sometimes not.

• Like 1

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic