• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

I see the moniker given to past Ground Hogs day events that were quite significant as GHD I, II for the southern area of this sub forum. In what years did they happen?

2: Regardless of the waving tail effect of the model runs, this looks to be one of those events. I don't see any major back down of QPF in whatever form. So would you like me to change the title now to GHD III?

Hit the like button for 2

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brian D said:

I see the moniker given to past Ground Hogs day events that were quite significant as GHD I, II for the southern area of this sub forum. In what years did they happen?

2: Regardless of the waving tail effect of the model runs, this looks to be one of those events. I don't see any major back down of QPF in whatever form. So would you like me to change the title now to GHD III?

GHD I and II were very much centered around northern Illinois and Chicago.

7 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Hit the like button for 2

GHD 1 was 2011, GHD 2 was 2015.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian D said:

Just thinking, but Chicago isn't the only dog in hunt around here. GHD moniker doesn't need to be just be there thing, right guys?

I really don't think GHD is a Chicago thing. Especially GHD II, which is particularly remembered for its spread-the-wealth nature.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Mad props to the GFS if its end up being right with how this storm evolves.  It put the EURO to shame with the 1/17 storm and it's attempting to do likewise here.

Im currently liking where we sit in GTHA. With regards to how the last event went I wonder if EC issues special weather statement tomorrow and watch Tuesday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mississaugasnow said:

Im currently liking where we sit in GTHA. With regards to how the last event went I wonder if EC issues special weather statement tomorrow and watch Tuesday. 

Definitely possible tomorrow given the snow will start across the SW late Tuesday.  I think with their baby the GGEM not playing ball we're going to get the cautious approach from EC.

• Like 2

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
4 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Just thinking, but Chicago isn't the only dog in hunt around here. GHD moniker doesn't need to be just be their thing, right guys? 

Those were not just Chicago storms. They were subforum storms in the same general region, just Chicago did excellent in both. This would absolutely fit to have a moniker of GHDII.  I believe Chicago got 20" in 1 and 18" into. Detroit got 10" in GHDI and almost 17" in GHDII.

FEB 1/2, 2011

FEB 1/2, 2015

FEB 2/3, 2022

1 minute ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Definitely possible tomorrow given the snow will start across the SW late Tuesday.  I think with their baby the GGEM not playing ball we're going to get the cautious approach from EC.

Too early for accumulations but it would be pretty crazy to have two big time snowstorms in the same year. Not unheard of, but would push the winter grade to an A for me. I actually missed the storm two weeks ago so this could be the biggest storm of the year for me. 

• Like 1

I really don't think GHD is a Chicago thing. Especially GHD II, which is particularly remembered for its spread-the-wealth nature.
GHD I also nailed southern WI though, while GHD II was largely a miss south which this one will be too barring a dramatic 11th hour NW trend which as others have mentioned seems to no longer be a thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, snowstormcanuck said:

GHD I & II were fails at YYZ.  Third time's a charm.

the 2011 one stung the most. I was a student at Laurier then and the school pre emptively cancelled class and everyone was hyped. A mediocre 4-8" fell instead of the 12+ forecasted. That dry slot crushed the dreams of many haha 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Those were not just Chicago storms. They were subforum storms in the same general region, just Chicago did excellent in both. This would absolutely fit to have a moniker of GHDII.  I believe Chicago got 20" in 1 and 18" into. Detroit got 10" in GHDI and almost 17" in GHDII.

FEB 1/2, 2011

FEB 1/2, 2015

FEB 2/3, 2022

You're close.  Official totals at Chicago ORD were 21.2" in 2011 and 19.3" in 2015.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked this topic