Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Ok so since its the Euros we should take with a grain of salt, no?

Not necessarily every storms  different, and every model will behave differently. So if 1 model does really good this storm and maybe several others in a row,  you tend to trust that more, that and consistency.  

I'm a lurker here and not as well versed in meteorology as most of you, but it's still striking, the mental acrobatics I see from some people in order to convince themselves of a far rosier nor'easter scenario than what's likely. General weather pattern, Teleconnections, statistics and history, previous and recent model performance especially in the context of other models' output, are ignored and some people end up with their hopes dashed.

For instance, last night I saw someone here post a detailed wishcast Which called for 24-36" for NYC/NENJ AND 24-48" LI. I understand the urge to fantasize but it's good temper your expectations.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wthrmn654 said:

Not necessarily every storms  different, and every model will behave differently. So if 1 model does really good this storm and maybe several others in a row,  you tend to trust that more, that and consistency.  

The area doesn’t need a huge change to get a decent snow event unlike this last storm where we were largely out of it by this point.  New York City with this event at this range is about where Raleigh or Salisbury was with the last storm.  They were shown to get a big event 5-6 out then they were west or fringed.  Ultimately they never got the shift they needed but they were in it til 48 hours out     

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaysoner said:

I'm a lurker here and not as well versed in meteorology as most of you, but it's still striking, the mental acrobatics I see from some people doing in order to convince themselves of a far rosier nor'easter scenario than what's likely. General weather pattern, Teleconnections, statistics and history, previous and recent model performance especially in the context of other models' output, are ignored and some people end up with their hopes dashed.

For instance, last night I saw someone here post a detailed wishcast Which called for 24-36" for NYC/NENJ AND 24-48" LI. I understand the urge to fantasize but it's good temper your expectations.

You clearly haven't lurked long enough if you don't know Roger Smith by now.  Good guy but he doesn't know the word "conservative". 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jaysoner said:

I'm a lurker here and not as well versed in meteorology as most of you, but it's still striking, the mental acrobatics I see from some people doing in order to convince themselves of a far rosier nor'easter scenario than what's likely. General weather pattern, Teleconnections, statistics and history, previous and recent model performance especially in the context of other models' output, are ignored and some people end up with their hopes dashed.

Have some fun. This should be fun and miserable at the same time producing its own sort of masochistic pleasure. This place is like 50 Shades of Weather, and I'm here for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, jaysoner said:

Its how we weenies act when we see qpf bombs on maps in middle of winter... welcome and get use to it...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Probably not because winds will be really strong.  Especially nearer the coast

What you said about the Kuchera

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The Kuchera ratios aren't happening except for maybe well inland. That's showing maybe 15-1 ratios for the coast. MAYBE we can do 12-1 here. The winds are going to break the dendrites apart. That said the Euro run was very encouraging that at least this isn't dead. And the other models really aren't far off from something a lot better. We just need the upper lows to close off 6 hrs or so sooner. And we need some kind of help from the southern stream.

Upton is loltastic with the snow ranges from nothing to 21" for me. But I guess that really is the 10 and 90% threshold at this point. 

Yeah, I should have posted the 10:1 maps also and then said to average. A bit distracted earlier though. 

1 hour ago, tek1972 said:

Mostly agree. Thursday would have been fine.
Also, I'm actually rooting for no snow emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Welcome to emergency management issues (was actually trying to reply to what you said @Volcanic Winter)

47 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Jfc. A bunch of tucked in bombs.  Wtf is going on. 

I told you - it's coming 

23 minutes ago, MANDA said:

The EURO 500 MB mean is just a hair away from something spectacular even for the west of I95er's.

Hope we can get some backup from GFS and CMC over the next several hours.

Exactly. Someone else understands me!

18 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The area doesn’t need a huge change to get a decent snow event unlike this last storm where we were largely out of it by this point.  New York City with this event at this range is about where Raleigh or Salisbury was with the last storm.  They were shown to get a big event 5-6 out then they were west or fringed.  Ultimately they never got the shift they needed but they were in it til 48 hours out     

Not at all. H5 is a hairs breath away from something truly spectacular. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

What you said about the Kuchera

Yeah, I should have posted the 10:1 maps also and then said to average. A bit distracted earlier though. 

Welcome to emergency management issues (was actually trying to reply to what you said @Volcanic Winter)

I told you - it's coming 

Exactly. Someone else understands me!

Not at all. H5 is a hairs breath away from something truly spectacular. 

If the Euro fails this bad this close in it should just be tossed from there on. It’s bent a little to the other models but has shown at least a warning event for NYC for 6-7 runs straight. And the ensembles coming west again shows it really must be seeing something to give it a chance. 

• Like 3

Just now, jm1220 said:

If the Euro fails this bad this close in it should just be tossed from there on. It’s bent a little to the other models but has shown at least a warning event for NYC for 6-7 runs straight. And the ensembles coming west again shows it really must be seeing something to give it a chance. 

Honestly, I'm really about all in on this. The H5 is so close to something spectacular on just about every model.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Honestly, I'm really about all in on this. The H5 is so close to something spectacular on just about every model.  

I can see how it gets there for sure but I’m hesitant due to all the disagreement. The Euro’s been nothing special this winter so far but it’s been better than the GFS. It’s still a fragile setup that can go to crap as we’re seeing on other guidance. But I really hope you’re right because the potential is through the roof (maybe up to the roof) if it does come together. 

• Like 3