• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get it, but huge shifts aren't necessary to pork a lot of us. Down there, the storm has granted you weenie immunity, so I get why you breathe easier (pretending you care)

I wish I were seeing the 24-36" models were spitting out.  12" is my floor for storms that really peak my interest and this one looks pretty locked in for that.  Now I'd like to get a little greedy and see if 20" is back in play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

probably should have done it this way

AqXhCab.gif

GFS does not fully phase the northern energy.  Looks like it is acting as a little kicker east.  Euro till a couple cycles ago had this fully phasing and closing off upper low much further south than GFS.  Has trended toward a later close off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I wish I were seeing the 24-36" models were spitting out.  12" is my floor for storms that really peak my interest and this one looks pretty locked in for that.  Now I'd like to get a little greedy and see if 20" is back in play.

It seemed to me like we were knocking on that door again...then the 00z euro wobbled east a tic, which was fine....but I didn't like 06z doing it again. I hope this isn't a trend of chasing that convective crap. I would love to see 12z and just a tic back west....lets just change the frequency of this "noise".

4 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

GFS does not fully phase the northern energy.  Looks like it is acting as a little kicker east.  Euro till a couple cycles ago had this fully phasing and closing off upper low much further south than GFS.  Has trended toward a later close off.

These are the changes I have been preaching about over the past several days....models always view phases with beer googles until you get to like legit 12 hours out, and sometimes never really view it correctly. Exceedingly rare to phase as proficiently as modeled....this is why I kept selling the early capture crap and saying it would tick NE. Folks kept telling me the earlier capture made sense synoptically, and I was just  like ..."wait for it".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

These are the changes I have been preaching about over the past several days....models always view phases with beer googles until you get to like legit 12 hours out, and sometimes never really view it correctly. Exceedingly rare to phase as proficiently as modeled....this is why I kept selling the early capture crap and saying it would tick NE. Folks kept telling me the earlier capture made sense synoptically, and I was just  like ..."wait for it".

If a post could ever be pinned, this would be the one. 

• Like 2

Yup.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah good to see the 06z suite bump west. There is still some uncertainty on the capture location and stall length, etc. That will determine whether this is a historic storm or just a really big storm that doesn’t make it into top 10 status. Western crowd too is still pretty sensitive to 25 mile wobbles. 

Also depends on what metric we're focused upon when making that distinction in post-storm-mortem.   Obviously to this group/social mediasphere of contributors, there's bit of a focus-bias wrt to snow.  But like you say, capture and location, lenth of time, and at what time along the gestation of the event, are problematic for much more than snow.  Grid concerns, tidal flooding, and even straight up wind damage ( more coast and SE zones), add to that 'historic' framework.  

I'm just trying to be more broadly inclusive.  The tide Saturday night should be astro lower, but still high, without a storm... Tough arithmetic, when sig wave hgt guidance has routine 30 footers, what ...10 miles off Harbor entries...  I would not want to be a master or super of any marina from PWM to NJ Saturday night, with a 968 mb low temporarily stalled, or even retro ... That's the other thing, if the capture/stall stuff gets more proficient, it may actually manifest as a loop, send additional momentum that way.  

We could end up with CF problem that ranks, with significant grid problems SE of ASH-ORH (~), and only 15" ...  It's still probably arguable as a historic event.  Also, these pressure depths being put out... if this really gets down 963 or whatever...  I can't find a Nor'easter type coastal of this nature, that deep.  

Lol, watch this break records and be forgettable.  

Unless the phase is over Albany, those are like death and taxes....lock those bitches in...fitted phase like a glove.

• Haha 2