• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

Here’s the morning take from CTP. Haven’t seen any real breakthroughs with overnight or 6z guidance. Still in the same camps with the GFS op most generous with frozen. Euro/Euro EPS/Canadian seem fairly close having the snow swath further northwest. GEFS sort of in the middle (6z did step back some snow means in the central vs 0z) but still showing a more robust transition. They all show transition for most/all with varying amounts of ice/wintry mix. I still tend to think the GFS has the right idea progressing the front and cold air, which the Euro had that idea a couple days ago. That may not ultimately be enough to get good snows into the Central/Sus Valley, but it would ramp up the mix/icing potential. GFS and also the NAM (which doesn’t cover the whole event yet) have pretty mean looking swaths of sleet accumulations while the Euro has very thin sleet zone but a good bit of freezing rain. Tons of stuff to consider here in addition to where these swaths might end up. 

Also to keep an eye on, short range stuff like the NAM are starting to pick up on ZR to kick the event off Wed night in central/eastern PA. Given how cold it has been, I’d bet on that scenario especially in areas with snowpack. Some spots could actually have a ZR/Rain/more ZR/mix/snow type of itinerary with this event. 

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...
Strong divergence along the right-entrance region of a powerful
upper jet (~170kts centered over the northern Great Lakes) will
combine with low-to-mid level frontogenesis and increasing
moisture/anomalous PWs to support a prolonged period of mixed
precip spreading west to east across CPA during this period.
While POPs are easily 100%, it`s the particular details that
will matter the most and will ultimately determine storm total
snow and ice amounts. Given the detail uncertainty at this
range, we followed NBM ptype probs closely and utilized blend of
WPC/NBM SLRs to derive snow and ice amounts. The result
signaled potential for heavy mixed wintry precip across the
northern tier with rain to ice/snow transition likely farther to
the southeast as the front traverses the CWA. Max snow 6" or
more is fcst in Warren and McKean Counties trending to <1" to
the I-81 corridor. Zone of max icing potential appears to be
between PA/NY border and I-99/I-80 corridor with swath of fzra
accums 0.01-0.25". How much sleet occurs within pytpe transition
will certainly impact the snow/fzra accums. Prob snow/ice
graphics and WPC WSO product supports issuance of winter storm
watch in Warren and McKean Counties at this time, with
additional winter headlines likely to be issued in the next 24
to 36 hours. Winter wx impacts should commence in the northern
tier late Wednesday night and shift to the south through
Thursday night/AM Friday. Mean QPF amounts are in the 1-1.5"
range with the longest duration of plain rain in the lower
Susquehanna Valley. With the moderate to heavy QPF and warming
trend peaking on Thursday with maxT +5-10F above normal across
south central PA, there is the possibility for some localized
ice jams that could lead to minor flooding. Something else to be
aware of for this upcoming, longer-duration multi-precipitation
type winter wx event. Temps fall from north to south Thursday
afternoon through Friday with some freeze up issues possible.
There could be a period of wintry mix in the lower Susq Valley
as precip comes to an end/shifts to the east early Friday.
Locations impacted by snow and ice will have temperatures remain
below freezing through the weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Why does this upcoming event remind me of the V-day storm of 2007 ?

I had the same thought. My car got embedded in six inches of sleet in Palmyra that year and my landlord sent his moron sons (who were all here on questionable legality) to unearth the car using 2x4s and my rear tire sent the 2x4 directly into this idiots ankle. 

I think we all learned something that day. They learned that when it comes to dislodging  Dodge Stratus from ice, 2x4s are as useful as tits on a nun, and I learned that there's probably some kind of airplane that sits at the hospital when undocumented folks break their feet. 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting to watch unfold. Not enthused for my area at all. GFS took a couple of steps back at 0z and 6z for the southern tier. North and west of Harrisburg there's more to like.

My post is specific to snowfall.

Would like to see some other models trend toward a more snowy look as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

I had the same thought. My car got embedded in six inches of sleet in Palmyra that year and my landlord sent his moron sons (who were all here on questionable legality) to unearth the car using 2x4s and my rear tire sent the 2x4 directly into this idiots ankle. 

I think we all learned something that day. They learned that when it comes to dislodging  Dodge Stratus from ice, 2x4s are as useful as tits on a nun, and I learned that there's probably some kind of airplane that sits at the hospital when undocumented folks break their feet. 

You were never in Palmyra! HAHA! 

I dropped to 12 last night.  Harrisburg finished January with a mean temp departure of -2.7 (Williamsport was -4.4).  Precip was a smidge below normal and snowfall was about a half inch ahead for the month but lags by 3.9 inches for the season.  I don't think those of us on the southern tier will be seeing any meaningful snowfall from the upcoming event.  GFS has liked the follow-up wave on Sunday but doesn't have much support, if any, and I saw WPC wants no part of it.  Onward.

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I dropped to 12 last night.  Harrisburg finished January with a mean temp departure of -2.7 (Williamsport was -4.4).  Precip was a smidge below normal and snowfall was about a half inch ahead for the month but lags by 3.9 inches for the season.  I don't think those of us on the southern tier will be seeing any meaningful snowfall from the upcoming event.  GFS has liked the follow-up wave on Sunday but doesn't have much support, if any, and I saw WPC wants no part of it.  Onward.

Sadly I agree. South of the turnpike might get icy, but remain fairly brown for the foreseeable future. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sadly I agree. South of the turnpike might get icy, but remain fairly brown for the foreseeable future. 

And the little snow left is going to get hammered today with the near 40 for the south.   Has been nice (like last year) to have at least a couple weeks with snow on the ground. 

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And the little snow left is going to get hammered today with the near 40 for the south.   Has been nice (like last year) to have at least a couple weeks with snow on the ground. 

My "little snow" are a few small piles in shady areas. I lost actual snow cover some time ago. But there's been something white on the ground for weeks. :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, anotherman said:

The NAM (at range) looks very similar to the GFS.  I know we all lean on climo but I have a feeling this one will be colder than any of us realize.

Oh, and I tried to be specific earlier this morning about this - in NO way am I downplaying a significant winter weather event. I am less enthused about actual snow. I could see real issues with ice, however. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Oh, and I tried to be specific earlier this morning about this - in NO way am I downplaying a significant winter weather event. I am less enthused about actual snow. I could see real issues with ice, however. 

I agree, with the first storm.  The second storm could give us snow.

• Like 1