Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

10 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I guess we will stir-up a hornets nest within the forum on wanting warmer weather. I'm with you on seasonable cold but not this 10-20 below normal stuff. I like some snow too but these minor events and frigid conditions that seem to last a long time, not so much. 

Yes. Minor events are annoying. I'd much rather get an 8-10 storm over two weeks worth of 1-2 inch events. The roads are an absolute salt mess right now. The wife and I went out to dinner last night, and Penndot spread so much salt that the dry road was whiter than where snow had blown and drifted across. I couldn't even see the lane markings. Being that it was night when we came home, if it weren't for some wet margin areas, I wouldn't know what was dry salt and what was snow.

• Like 2

10.8 degrees this morning was the best I could do.  Still have a good 2-2.5" of white ice-pack.  Today marks day 15 of continuous snow cover, which is nearly the entire second half of January.  I haven't checked the MDT monthly departure yet but I'm willing to bet they're at least -2 degrees.  It seems like it's been so long since we've had a below January.  The polar vortex winter ('14-'15?) would have created a below January I'm sure.  Temp is up to 17.1 degrees on its way to the upper 20's.

37 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

10.8 degrees this morning was the best I could do.  Still have a good 2-2.5" of white ice-pack.  Today marks day 15 of continuous snow cover, which is nearly the entire second half of January.  I haven't checked the MDT monthly departure yet but I'm willing to bet they're at least -2 degrees.  It seems like it's been so long since we've had a below January.  The polar vortex winter ('14-'15?) would have created a below January I'm sure.  Temp is up to 17.1 degrees on its way to the upper 20's.

image.jpeg.84fb25d7fab328ff507a8ccd70bb8302.jpegCouldn’t even crack the top 40.   

16 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, plenty of cold this month.

This doesn’t even mention the number of frigid overnight lows.

It’s a below normal month in the middle of Winter that some people thought is now impossible because of….

It has had a cold feel this month but nothing record breaking.   I’m not sure we could survive another cold winter like 94.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

It has had a cold feel this month but nothing record breaking.   I’m not sure we could survive another cold winter like 94.   

Using average means to sort, we are already warmer than 7 other January's since 2000 (with two days to go.)    Looks like we will end up with the 9th coldest out of the 23 years starting 2000. 

GFS doesn't look very good to me throughout the entire run. Frontal boundary gets hung up and actually retreats allowing waves to run west of us. Low in the great lakes isn't helping. The whole pattern is losing it's wintry look (on the GFS) over the past 48 hours. Also looks like this morning's Euro regressed as well. 

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

image.jpeg.84fb25d7fab328ff507a8ccd70bb8302.jpegCouldn’t even crack the top 40.   

Well we know today and tomorrow will be more than 2 degrees below normal.  That just might push us up close to 40th (lol).  After checking the MDT data we are 2.3 degrees below normal (average).  I would think we could make it to -2.5 or -2.6.  Just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The last 3 GFS runs have trended more wintry for Friday. It appears to heading in the general direction of the Euro for a change…

Here is 12z, 6z and 0z for the same Friday time stamp,

F514CBB9-A330-402F-834C-AC623DE4813E.png

E1AAC291-3737-4410-965A-40FF859A8822.png

50AC753B-CE7F-40DD-A845-B3FF282E202C.png

The 12z GFS has a good looking High position sitting in southern Quebec.

The 12z also shows moisture stretching all the way back into southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

12z UKMET is still a hit as well for Friday…

@losetoa6 do you have a PA centered map for the Ukie?

I saw this map posted by our friends to the south.

In Most of our CTP events, we score better snow when I-95 is mixing…

7372B8FC-2F93-4ED1-8AEE-ABDF482DE91B.png

49 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Ralph's frontal wave spectacular on the UKMET

crazyukjan30.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Unfortunately the Euro took a step back at 12z for CTP.

The Highs are still in a good position.

It will come down to the push of cold air and the strength and timing of the wave.

Lots of time to resolve.

BC8B3852-9B6C-4501-A185-85C2C3A966B5.png

D6C54BC0-3193-4BBE-B6F3-28069E3E4657.png

The Ukie also took a notable step back from 0z. Oz had the axis of heaviest snow over the southern border counties. Best snows at 12z moved north 75 miles. 

While we're on the subject of the Euro, unfortunately it took a rocket-step back.  I think the Ukie is playing catch up and is off by 12 hours.

Here's last night's 0Z snow map:

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

And here is today's 12Z...

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

And, here is the freezing rain from 0Z...

zr_acc.us_ne.png

and here is today's 12Z...

zr_acc.us_ne.png

and finally, here are the total qpf's (nearly 100% of this occurs from the Thur/Fri event)...

qpf_acc.us_ne.png

and here is today's 12z...

qpf_acc.us_ne.png