Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

43 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT recorded 1.0 of snow yesterday.

This brings the seasonal total to 1.1 inches of snow.

The normal average snow through yesterday is 4.7 inches, so MDT is only currently 3.6 below normal snow.

So 23% of normal snowfall. Maintaining that pace for the rest of winter would put MDT at 6.8”.

32/31 here with dense fog.  Visibilities well under 1/4 mile at my locale.  CTP's SWS talks about this....

...AREAS OF FREEZING FOG THROUGH MID MORNING...

Areas of fog have developed across portions of central
Pennsylvania this morning, most notably across the Susquehanna
Valley. Temperatures largely in the low to mid 30s have led to
some instances of freezing fog. Motorists should allow extra time
to reach their destination this morning.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's like the models are us, trying to hope away the SER, and the results are reality.  Though the above is not results yet. 

True. Just a knee-jerk reaction from someone who’s frustrated that we just went through a winter only two years ago that produced similar results under a completely different base state.

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT recorded 1.0 of snow yesterday.

This brings the seasonal total to 1.1 inches of snow.

The normal average snow through yesterday is 4.7 inches, so MDT is only currently 3.6 below normal snow.

Oh my word. Normal to date is less than 5 inches? I love the LSV, but this was one reason I left: needed more winter.

10 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

@Cashtown_Coop, or @MAG5035, or to anyone else who melts down their snowfall to obtain a liquid equivalent:  I just went outside and brought in my clear-vue gauge to melt down today's 1.9" of snowfall.  I was pretty surprised at what I saw.  I received 0.40" of liquid from 1.9" of snow which equates to a ratio of just 4.75 : 1 !!  Typically you only see these low ratios with a lot of sleet.  I know my snow this morning was wet but I didn't think it was THAT wet.  I am very anxious to see what others near my area got for their liquid equivalent and ratio.  Thanks in advance.  

PS>>>My temp is now down to 32.2 degrees.  Oh so tantalizingly close for a bit of freezing rain.

I'll do you one better, I recorded .3" snow off of .19" liquid for a SLR of just 1.58 haha.  This is almost assuredly the lowest ratio I have ever recorded for what I believe to be an all-snow event.  The reason for me is pretty straight forward though, simply that my temp didn't drop below 35 for the duration of the event so the snow had a hard time accumulating.  Didn't get the rates needed to overcome a marginal boundary layer.  Still pretty amazing to see a ratio that low though.  I guess it makes sense in that the people just to my east saw a trace to nothing and the people just to my west got over an inch, so this was the transition zone to paltry totals.

Also, just to back up your measurement, someone on Cocorahs who resides near Carlisle reported 1.8" of snow off of .32" liquid, so in the same ballpark as you.  Weird little event we had on our hands.  This fog just won't quit down here in the valleys today.  At peak I was under 1/8 mile visibility. 

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'll do you one better, I recorded .3" snow off of .19" liquid for a SLR of just 1.58 haha.  This is almost assuredly the lowest ratio I have ever recorded for what I believe to be an all-snow event.  The reason for me is pretty straight forward though, simply that my temp didn't drop below 35 for the duration of the event so the snow had a hard time accumulating.  Didn't get the rates needed to overcome a marginal boundary layer.  Still pretty amazing to see a ratio that low though.  I guess it makes sense in that the people just to my east saw a trace to nothing and the people just to my west got over an inch, so this was the transition zone to paltry totals.

Also, just to back up your measurement, someone on Cocorahs who resides near Carlisle reported 1.8" of snow off of .32" liquid, so in the same ballpark as you.  Weird little event we had on our hands.  This fog just won't quit down here in the valleys today.  At peak I was under 1/8 mile visibility. 

Not too bad here. Sun was out for a few minutes earlier.

34 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks you for this info.  It is nice to have supporting obs!  Your ratio is crazy...yet makes sense.  I had 99.9% snow for the event yesterday.  Just a very little bit of sleet just before it stopped completely.  Temp was 31.1 an hour ago with a fair amount of fog, but not as dense as you reported.  It's lifting now and the temp is up to 32.7.

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Thanks you for this info.  It is nice to have supporting obs!  Your ratio is crazy...yet makes sense.  I had 99.9% snow for the event yesterday.  Just a very little bit of sleet just before it stopped completely.  Temp was 31.1 an hour ago with a fair amount of fog, but not as dense as you reported.  It's lifting now and the temp is up to 32.7.

For me I had .30” precip and 1.3” snow at Cashtown site.   5.5 miles south from a cocarahs gauge at work I had .38” precip.  

46 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Not too bad here. Sun was out for a few minutes earlier.

I'm still under fog here but visibilities finally climbing towards 1/2 mile.  Not a hint of sun thus far.

49 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I did record .11" of rain last evening.

Hmmmmmm was there an overnight shower or something that perhaps I was unaware of and could be skewing my SLR ratio?  Remember I use a manual cylinder gauge, not an automated one, so I can't always verify timing of precip without looking at other sources.