Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

1 hour ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Correct.  Memorial Day Weekend was extremely cold and dreary.  Set two record low highs.  On May 29th we topped out at 52, smashing the previous record of 57 from 1990.  The next day we reached 56, breaking the record of 58 from 1953.  

I didn't get out of the mid 40's on both those days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anotherman said:

I think the best thing to do right now is to step back from the model watching and come back after the New Year. I’m just assuming this is a dud winter so any sort of positive change will be a nice surprise. A real nice surprise….

giphy.gif

And post about other weather stuff, abnormalities and such, as needed without disdain from the crowd.  Weather...it's the gift that keeps on giving all through out the year.

• Like 2

11:30 am, 45 degrees here with no wind/breeze; feels very mild out. I’m grateful for the sections of somewhat patchy cloud cover that allow some occasional sunlight through. 

Edited to say, I think my mindset is similar to most of the regular contributors here in that if it’s going to be in the 40s anyway, I’d rather it be pleasant than miserable. Any day that I can comfortably be out for a long leisurely walk with the dog is a good day. :) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Voyager said:

One of them is going to verify. Winter can't be a total shut out...can it? 

I count four occasions where Harrisburg received a total seasonal snowfall of under 10 inches -- 1937-38, 1949-50, 1994-95, and 2019-20.  The one two years ago was the worst in history, as we all know too well, with just 5.1". 

20 minutes ago, paweather said:

2019-2020 was just awful

I actually got 8.2" that year but yeah, putrid.  Interestingly enough, Harrisburg's first year of record keeping in 1888-1889 may have had a shot at being under 10" as well, but they didn't start tracking until January of 1889 so we don't know what fell in Nov or Dec of 1888.  However, only 8.0" was recorded in Jan thru March of 1889, so if Nov/Dec would have come in at under 2" we'd be in business.  Doubtful but who knows.  The following season of 1889-1890 was also lackluster, with only 10.3".  I'll leave it up to you to decide if the snow measurement techniques were up to snuff back then ha.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I actually got 8.2" that year but yeah, putrid.  Interestingly enough, Harrisburg's first year of record keeping in 1888-1889 may have had a shot at being under 10" as well, but they didn't start tracking until January of 1889 so we don't know what fell in Nov or Dec of 1888.  However, only 8.0" was recorded in Jan thru March of 1889, so if Nov/Dec would have come in at under 2" we'd be in business.  Doubtful but who knows.  The following season of 1889-1890 was also lackluster, with only 10.3".  I'll leave it up to you to decide if the snow measurement techniques were up to snuff back then ha.

Well there you have it. The first two years of the period of record were among the least snowy, and the last two years of the period of record have been the warmest. Both are just coincidences, right?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

The warning level snow line with that system isn’t far from I-80, so there’s that.

Looks like both it and the GFS are moving away from the mega cutter idea from yesterday. That look from mid next week on looks much better than yesterday. Hopefully it is catching on to something?