Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Good stuff Nut.  I believe I've mentioned this to you before but I have a buddy with a cabin up that way that must be close to you, also in Gaines.  He's a few miles south of Route 6 and doesn't sit quite as high as you (~1,900') but he is on the north side of the mountain and boy oh boy you ain't kidding about it being a different world up there.  I specifically remember a time we went up for a late March bachelor party and there was nary a hint of snow on the entire drive but as soon as we rounded the bend on the top of the mountain the north face was completely covered.  His yard still had damn near a foot in it.  Then it proceeded to snow almost non-stop for three days, just glorious.  We had a keg plopped in the snow.  What a weekend and what a place ha.

Hey man.  Hope all's well.  Yeah I think we did chat about your friends place.  Glad to hear that you get to enjoy what the northwoods gives us "up on top".  

When kids were young, I snowmobiled may times into late March "up on top" when rest of the state was knee deep into spring.  I've got plenty of good memories from it.  

That keg in the snow sounds like a great weekend for sure.  Hope you get to do that soon.  Clock's ticking.  

58 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The 0z Euro and now 6z don't look as good at h5 as 18z did last evening unfortunately.  With the Euro ensembles never really buying into the 2nd wave strongly it's hard to dismiss . Still time but the 0z Gfs might have been a outlier for sure . Hopefully 12z turns it around. 

spacing will be the challenge for #2 and not enough time to dig/bomb out.  Best shot is hoping the boundary comes north, but as most do, we've also seen SLP's slide south...way south....so dunno yet.  Glad to see something to track though.  

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Hey man.  Hope all's well.  Yeah I think we did chat about your friends place.  Glad to hear that you get to enjoy what the northwoods gives us "up on top".  

When kids were young, I snowmobiled may times into late March "up on top" when rest of the state was knee deep into spring.  I've got plenty of good memories from it.  

That keg in the snow sounds like a great weekend for sure.  Hope you get to do that soon.  Clock's ticking.  

I think we may have been discussing the Pine Creek Inn??  I have to get there some time.  It's just that we never travel west of Galeton on Route 6.  Damn I miss the Galeton 4th of July fireworks too, best I've ever seen.  We used to go up every summer for those (hang at the Wonder Bar afterwards ha) but it's been a minute ugh.  As for doing anything like that soon, unlikely, as I have a 20-month old with another on the way in April.  I'll be sitting on the sidelines for a bit when it comes to most of that stuff but I'll be back in the saddle one day and when I am, look out!

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The Keewenaw peninsula in UP of Michigan...hundreds of inches of snow AND cold temps to keep it there.

No doubt.  I believe the Keweenaw is considered the snowiest non-mountainous place in the world, but could be wrong about that.  They can get lake-effect from damn near any direction.  Any of you know of John Dee?  Weather guy who lives up there and tracks everything, has cams, writes blogs, etc.  It's just an incredible environment up there.  Here is his site:

https://johndee.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If we get a decent one (especially both Western and Eastern PA simultaneously) we will probably quickly forget the pain of the pattern change that never came....but until then, we indeed have to keep searching for nuggets. 

Yes, I agree.

As I pointed out yesterday, MDT is only around 4 inches below normal snow at this point.

If that Euro storm materializes later next week, we would suddenly be above normal snow, with 2 and a half months left to legitimately score good snow.

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

No doubt.  I believe the Keweenaw is considered the snowiest non-mountainous place in the world, but could be wrong about that.  They can get lake-effect from damn near any direction.  Any of you know of John Dee?  Weather guy who lives up there and tracks everything, has cams, writes blogs, etc.  It's just an incredible environment up there.  Here is his site:

https://johndee.com/

Yeah, when I was in Michigan I followed him. I LOVED our trips to the UP when I was a Michigander. My wife hated the UP...way too rural for her. Me? I would move there in a heartbeat. Much of it doesn't get nearly the same snowfall as the Keewenaw though. The ridges around Marquette do really well for somebody who would still want to be closer to civilization. One of our forum guys, @weatherbo, actually moved there from the state of Indiana and shares pictures of his paradise.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol…

It’s not even New Year’s Eve….

If we get to Groundhog Day still in the single digits…then I’ll worry.

Our forum is starting to look/sound more like one to the south of us.....ya know, the one everyone lol's at.  Just sayin..........

30 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I think we may have been discussing the Pine Creek Inn??  I have to get there some time.  It's just that we never travel west of Galeton on Route 6.  Damn I miss the Galeton 4th of July fireworks too, best I've ever seen.  We used to go up every summer for those (hang at the Wonder Bar afterwards ha) but it's been a minute ugh.  As for doing anything like that soon, unlikely, as I have a 20-month old with another on the way in April.  I'll be sitting on the sidelines for a bit when it comes to most of that stuff but I'll be back in the saddle one day and when I am, look out!

oh ok.  Pine creek in is a decent place.  Been there a couple times this year and tried to eat there Tuesday.  Doing the best they can in this continued shit show.  

BTW, old OX Yoke Inn.....gone....poof....bulldozed.  Someone mowed the restaurant/cottages down and is putting in high end cabins (i'm told).  

That place had a ton of history....makes me sad.  

• Sad 1

Just now, paweather said:

Why I don't think so there can be disappointment and criticize from time to time, but it is not ongoing. IMO

I respectfully disagree, but I'm not here to fight about it either.  The underlying tone is surely there pal.   take a step back and look....you'll see. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

I respectfully disagree, but I'm not here to fight about it either.  The underlying tone is surely there pal.   take a step back and look....you'll see. 

I respectfully disagree as well. We are not always canceling winter and being like the MA forum that is plain nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

As our climo slowly becomes more like theirs, that’s bound to happen.

But we bye and large still do much better than they do, and will likely for the foreseeable future, so no, I disagree.  Last year was great, but our instant gratification society has little to no memory, and we willl complain much more readily than we used to.  Some stat guys/gals can surely post dud winters of the last 100 years if they wanted to remind us that this may not be "the new norm" snowwise.  Not ever year is a winner.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paweather said:

I respectfully disagree as well. We are not always canceling winter and being like the MA forum that is plain nonsense. 

I think my post about single digit snowfall was probably over the line as far as “canceling winter” posts go. Yes, it’s probably too early to worry about that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

After a few snow lovers and talented hobbyists left... I no longer go there, but like it or not....similarities exist.  i just don't have the pain tollerance that PSUHoffman does.  God love him (if he still posts there much).  Its also a societal thing, and not just weather....

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

After a few snow lovers and talented hobbyists left... I no longer go there, but like it or not....similarities exist.  i just don't have the pain tollerance that PSUHoffman does.  God love him (if he still posts there much).  Its also a societal thing, and not just weather....

Agree. PSUhoffman has so much tolerance for sure

24 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

But we bye and large still do much better than they do, and will likely for the foreseeable future, so no, I disagree.  Last year was great, but our instant gratification society has little to no memory, and we willl complain much more readily than we used to.  Some stat guys/gals can surely post dud winters of the last 100 years if they wanted to remind us that this may not be "the new norm" snowwise.  Not ever year is a winner.  

You mean like this Harrisburg seasonal snow map since 1980 from CTP.

Lots of good & lots of bad….

I might need to post this as a daily reminder for some people…

2D8ACC4D-3DE8-4D66-BF3A-279794C244A2.png

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yes, this is true.

Several good quality posters left the Mid Atlantic & New York thread over the last few years. I think they were overwhelmed by the negativity and got tired of fighting it.

@psuhoffman is posting much less than other years. @Bob Chill is mostly gone. Those 2 were the main reason that I joined this place. I lurked for years and read their detailed comments everyday. I learned a ton from those guys.

The New England thread is sadly following in their footsteps this season. The good quality posters are being overwhelmed with all of the negative & mostly ridiculous posters that add no value to the discussion.

The New York thread is mostly unreadable. I feel bad for @MJO812 . He looks for snow chances, but gets trashed everyday for trying to be positive & look for snow.

Sadly, this is the way of the world on social media and the way of society in general. Everything is the here & now with instant gratification. There is little regard for history or knowledge.

15 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

You mean like this Harrisburg seasonal snow map since 1980 from CTP.

Lots of good & lots of bad….

I might need to post this as a daily reminder for some people…

2D8ACC4D-3DE8-4D66-BF3A-279794C244A2.png

But it’s not just PA. Places in very different regions of the country whose weather doesn’t correlate to ours whatsoever (Denver and Chicago for example) obliterated records for latest first measurable snow. If it were just an isolated occurrence for one region of the country, I wouldn’t be as concerned.

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It's funny, I have  buddy moving up to Bethel, AK so I've been keeping tabs on things up that way and they actually had a brutally cold November.  Anchorage was like 8 degrees below normal and Bethel was a whopping 18 below average!  December has been more of a mixed bag with Anchorage running a few degrees below and Bethel like 8 degrees above, and other locations are all over the place.  But November was something else up there, just locked in extreme deep cold.  Bethel's average temp for the month of November was .7!  Think about that, .7 as an avg., in November no less haha!  I believe it was their second coldest of all time.

Changing topics but thought some might find this interesting in regards to Sierra snowfall:

With four days left to go in the month, Tahoe has already broken the record for December snowfall set 50 years ago.

On Monday, December snow totals at the UC Berkeley Central Sierra Snow Lab reached 193.7 inches, blowing a 1970 record of 179 inches out of the water.

The lab, located at Donner Pass, has received roughly 39 inches of snow in the past 24 hours and could break the 200-inch mark today.

Mentioned several days ago that my wife and I were planning a trip to the Sierra (Mammoth) in 2024 - well, make that spring of 2023! Due to kids getting married, having kids, etc, we moved our family trip to the Everglades from 2023 to 2024, and that sets us up nicely to head out west in just 17 months. Yosemite and the Sierra...here we come! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I think my post about single digit snowfall was probably over the line as far as “canceling winter” posts go. Yes, it’s probably too early to worry about that.

On December 28th.....yeah just a tad.

If you follow/understand enough (and i think you do), yes there are still enough signs that nothing should be written off....yet.  Now in 6 weeks....you can have at it....If that happens....I'll be long gone by then anyway, so it wont matter one bit to me. 

Anyone in this sport for enough time knows that warm/losing is the correct bet 70-80% of the time anyway...and that's no new norm and hasn't changed much at all (if one views purely snow (not warmth) records.  We go into winter knowing that, and don't need reminded every 6hrs.  That's where instant gratification society and weather (snow), just don't mix at all.

FWIW, it's not my board...and I wont act like it is.  You do you....but if anyone thinks the undertones don't have an effect.....you're kidding yourselves. 

Just look at the forum to the south....most/many good ones left for a reason....and that wasn't my doing.  Carry on....

• Like 2