Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll say this again, I am dumbfounded how that s/w dives south with a ridge folding behind it, yet turns the corner like one of those zero degree turn Troy-built lawnmowers. WTF.

So, maybe that’s not exactly the way it will play out. If(the model) doesn’t make sense…something might be amiss? 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Northern stream shortwave is way stronger this run...so that is going to wipe out any advantage I think in the northeast. Strong northern stream just send this due north from what we know in past runs.

Too much whack-a-mole with this system.

Yeah that's been the 12z trend with the northern stream. However, isn't that the result of a combination of two shortwaves that are currently still twirling about in the middle of the pacific?

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Northern stream shortwave is way stronger this run...so that is going to wipe out any advantage I think in the northeast. Strong northern stream just send this due north from what we know in past runs.

Too much whack-a-mole with this system.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Definitely going to be east of the 0z run.

:whistle:

Just now, JC-CT said:

Yeah that's been the 12z trend with the northern stream. However, isn't that the result of a combination of two shortwaves that are currently still twirling about in the middle of the pacific?

Yeah the northern shortwave is the last one to come on shore, so hopefully the northeast height trend is real and the northern stream shortwave trend is spurious....but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll say this again, I am dumbfounded how that s/w dives south with a ridge folding behind it, yet turns the corner like one of those zero degree turn Troy-built lawnmowers. WTF.

I think one realistic hope on this system is that the southern stream ends up more progressive as we get closer....that's actually a real thing that happens on model guidance a decent amount. I don't have much hope for the northern stream to help us coming in weaker, but a more progressive southern stream seems plausible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Funny you mentioned this dude... I have been scratching my head over this ever since it started doing that about 10 minutes after we made this f'n thread. 

The models insistence with that behavior, jesus... it's like there's some sort of atmospheric magnet with neutron star Gaussian pull, anchored over Utica NY.  This storm could be on Mars, the models would find a way to put it west of Albany. 

• Haha 2

I think one realistic hope on this system is that the southern stream ends up more progressive as we get closer....that's actually a real thing that happens on model guidance a decent amount. I don't have much hope for the northern stream to help us coming in weaker, but a more progressive southern stream seems plausible.

Yeah...that's where I've been leaning. Create as much space from the trailing northern streamer that you can before it dives in and they interact. It's going to hook northward eventually...gotta gain as much longitude as we can before it does.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny you mentioned this dude... I have been scratching my head over this ever since it started doing that about 10 minutes after we made this f'n thread. 

The models insistence with that behavior, jesus... it's like there's some sort of atmospheric magnet with neutron star Gaussian pull, anchored over Utica NY.  This storm could be on Mars, the models would find a way to put it west of Albany. 

I was thinking that too regarding the srn vort...but sometimes the convection pumps the heights up too. I guess we can hope it's more progressive.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...that's where I've been leaning. Create as much space from the trailing northern streamer that you can before it dives in and they interact. It's going to hook northward eventually...gotta gain as much longitude as we can before it does.

Yep....how many times over the years (even in biggies like Feb 2013) did the models over-phase the streams? We've seen plenty of times where the southern ends up a little faster and the phase happens later than originally modeled. Doesn't mean it will happen this time, but it's a more realistic scenario than hoping for the northern stream to come in weaker....in my experience, the northern stream will probably come in stronger when sampled.

• Like 3

Yep....how many times over the years (even in biggies like Feb 2013) did the models over-phase the streams? We've seen plenty of times where the southern ends up a little faster and the phase happens later than originally modeled. Doesn't mean it will happen this time, but it's a more realistic scenario than hoping for the northern stream to come in weaker....in my experience, the northern stream will probably come in stronger when sampled.

I agree wholesale with this.

• Weenie 1