• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RAP has been getting better each run it seems. Still out of its wheelhouse, but it'll be interesting to see if this carries over the 18z model suite for the big boys.

I like what I see on the spc meso analysis. Maybe it's weenie goggles, but it seems like every hour, short term guidance is putting too much emphasis on the lead convection. Plus, I see some very small evidence of circulation out there on the radar/satellite, but not nearly what I would have expected based on guidance from this morning. Subtle, obviously.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I could see some angry posts to start if the HRRR is right. Initial band is well NW and many in ern CT into RI and ern MA patiently wait. That probably will happen. Those areas will slam an hour or two later.

I see that on a few models. I had the same thought - probably a few premature bust calls overnight

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I could see some angry posts to start if the HRRR is right. Initial band is well NW and many in ern CT into RI and ern MA patiently wait. That probably will happen. Those areas will slam an hour or two later.

It's chasing that offshore convection instead of consolidating the low as the RAP is showing.

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The HRRR is ripping supercells over the Gulf Stream. Definitely the reason for the double low and generally unimpressive QPF. Totally disrupts to warm conveyorbelt processes. Meh.

download (6).png

tons of dry air in the Atlantic where there located right now guessing that changes 

Yeah it's really like the RAP just doesn't grid those convective issues at all, so it ends up with 990 mb low and actual Nor'easter look. 

I dunno how to resolve that difference from those models that do incorporate plausible effects ( limiting as they may be...) wrt to convection out there. 

Part of me wants to say the flat open wave nature to the total S/W space, with flat-like lead S/W ridging out ahead, would tend to support convective clusters robbing potential vorticity from center. 

now cast it I suppose... I mean, we'll probably know at about 1 am this next morning if the models were too sensy to the convective parameterization by observing sat and gunk.

This is definitely an odd look. Can certainly see the EPS struggling with chasing the convection. I actually think even with a really wide spread in those little Ls there's probably not nearly as much spread in the sensible wx impact here. Could certainly see competing lows and a more strung out kind of appearance  but the super out to sea solutions are still going to have a weaker low closer to the coast and plenty of snow in SNE.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-ne-mslp_with_low_locs-1556800 (1).png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1