• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

Any favorite pattern change lol is over before it even begins according to these guys. 

joXa86c1_normal.jpg

I generally agree. While the GEFS has been overzealous in the medium range of late trying to bring back the GOA ridge, the lower freq evolution of the troposphere & stratosphere suggest a prototypical late winter Nina +NAM/-PNA state returns by the end of Jan-early Feb
Quote Tweet

AYYwqqnl_mini.jpg

Dr Simon Lee

@SimonLeeWx
· 5h
With the N Pacific ridge migrating poleward, GEFS spies the onset of the Alaskan Ridge regime for early-mid January -- bringing colder weather more widely to the US & ending a potentially record-setting Arctic Low regime. However: the Arctic Low regime then comes straight back... twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/sta…
Show this thread

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It just seems common sense to me that an NAO block in conjunction with a record RNA pulse could do that, anyway....I mean, we have always had certain patterns more prone to compression. And what we do know is 1) HC didn't seem to constructively interfere with ENSO last year 2) It doesn't seem to be deconstructively interfering this year.

Just some casual observations.

Well... compounding factors...  There's no one-size-fits-all index controlling the number of inches we're not getting, but are taking  LOL

But I completely jive with the bold, sure.  Any -NAO biased over the western limb of the domain space .. yup, that can overwhelm by compressing the heights south through the Lakes and Mid Atlantic.  That will speed up the flow.

Remove that and the flow is still fast, though.  It has been... regardless of solar, ENSO, PDO ... dogs and cats living together.

• Like 1

For what it's worth the GEF based telecon spread is cold UNfavorable from the AO/NAO, and given that they share domain space, and appear to be moving in tandem, might be a strengthening argument that they are coupled into the same forcing.

That would materialize as a negative height anomaly tending to encompass/ lap over both. My guess is between the NE Canada.

However, the PNA ...as others have surmised by graphics, is concertedly entering a modal change from -2 SD with some members even modestly positive by as near as D10.  Note, we don't need to have the mode diametric before restoring events begin taking place,...

If by indirection, this might be cross-guidance "nodding" ... ( at least ) wrt to some of the Euro products. 

I'm also not sure the EPO won't pop negative either, given to the EAMT relay way out there. It seems that could happen at any time in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty large jump south on the ICON too. It was one of the more wound up solutions at 12z. 

The GFS, NAM and ICON all made substantial shifts south.  This is a bit more interesting.

The ICON though, I've never seen a model do such a shift in 6 hours.

12z first, 18z second image.

icon-all-neng-total_snow_10to1-1265200.thumb.png.38cd005c0d446ab2656d89e9bee12a3e.png

467983289_icon-all-neng-total_snow_10to1-1265200(1).thumb.png.2e15b17094fec2068651dccfc92d4238.png

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The GFS, NAM and ICON all made substantial shifts south.  This is a bit more interesting.

icon-all-neng-total_snow_10to1-1265200.thumb.png.38cd005c0d446ab2656d89e9bee12a3e.png

467983289_icon-all-neng-total_snow_10to1-1265200(1).thumb.png.2e15b17094fec2068651dccfc92d4238.png

Well, it’s a pretty shitty model. I mean, the UKMET routinely takes lows off the FL coast to Portugal just six hours after riding into the GOM. And that’s the second best model according to the mets. LOL

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah... it shows the sensitivity - it seems endemic to fast flows to do this.  It's almost as though a more standard flow rate is more resistant to change

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Well, it’s a pretty shitty model. I mean, the UKMET routinely takes lows off the FL coast to Portugal just six hours after riding into the GOM. And that’s the second best model according to the mets. LOL

Yeah I have no idea on the ICON scores but the NAM and GFS shifts were noticeable too.  Might be able to score a net gain out of the cutter.

gfs-deterministic-neng-total_snow_10to1-1265200.thumb.png.6407fe476f4f9f05c632f74b572fd60b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Not according to some stats. Maybe it nails 500 heights over the Galápagos Islands, but the surface results here leave something to be desired. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

im at the point where I don’t believe anything.  I want to see actual ground truth on the ground.

The long range stuff is fun, but it's not worth getting emotional over. The skill still just isn't there yet...especially when it comes to sensible weather. I salute those that do these forecasts and outlooks so we can keep pushing the science forward, but if it isn't inside 5 days I really don't care.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not according to some stats. Maybe it nails 500 heights over the Galápagos Islands, but the surface results here leave something to be desired. 

The UKMET is best near outer space. I heard the ISS uses it to dodge extreme upper-atmospheric lightning. Second best model near vacuum.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well ... we can't think of the Earth system as having a silver bullet factor - like the HC is causing all this, or the La Nina is causing all that...

The climate system is an on-going cocktail of influences... some more at times, given the favorable setting to act.     That's A

B, the compression has been an issue across all winters now going back a decade, the majority of times, and that was regardless of ENSO state. 

Agreed, but in terms of this winter, I suspect it might be more ENSO.  Question:  Would the HC influence in general, be less of a factor for SoCal?  That region of the Pac perhaps does not have the warm water that is found in the Caribbean, etc., meaning they have a less aggressive HC circulation?  I ask that because this winter's trough is sooo deep in that region.

57 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Agreed, but in terms of this winter, I suspect it might be more ENSO.  Question:  Would the HC influence in general, be less of a factor for SoCal?  That region of the Pac perhaps does not have the warm water that is found in the Caribbean, etc., meaning they have a less aggressive HC circulation?  I ask that because this winter's trough is sooo deep in that region.

I suspect depth of -PNA trough has more to do with the superposition of the longer term La Niña occurring with a normal intraseasonal pattern forcing from Asia through the Date Line 

Those would be in a powerfully constructive interference in tandem …

The HC expansion is a whole scale base line state of increased(ing) hgts within the deep subtropical latitudes. It doesn’t modulates patterns in the same way as it’s evenly distributed as lower latitude canvas over which these other intermediate (pattern) and longer termed (La Niña) aspects take place. 

That’s the present papered facets on HC expansion.  

I have personally advanced hypothesis that its increasing the gradients at mid latitudes during the winters; so in an indirect sense … faster flow can affect Rossby waves distribution and so forth but even if that were the case and that could be proven … it wouldn’t stop what’s going on with a PNA trough now - that’s (again) likely an intraseason pattern constructively interfering with longer term La Niña tendency, two things overwhelming everything else -probably

3 hours ago, leo2000 said:

Any favorite pattern change lol is over before it even begins according to these guys. 

joXa86c1_normal.jpg

I generally agree. While the GEFS has been overzealous in the medium range of late trying to bring back the GOA ridge, the lower freq evolution of the troposphere & stratosphere suggest a prototypical late winter Nina +NAM/-PNA state returns by the end of Jan-early Feb
Quote Tweet

AYYwqqnl_mini.jpg

Dr Simon Lee

@SimonLeeWx
· 5h
With the N Pacific ridge migrating poleward, GEFS spies the onset of the Alaskan Ridge regime for early-mid January -- bringing colder weather more widely to the US & ending a potentially record-setting Arctic Low regime. However: the Arctic Low regime then comes straight back... twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/sta…
Show this thread

Agree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

If the 18z GFS op is right, Boston will average 6-7F above normal between now and mid-Jan.

Which is still abysmally mank infested misery outside.  

The Great Winter Of Zero Redeeming Value. 

At this rate I’d rather it 50 above normal.