• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

Any glimmer of hope showing up in the long term? Or do we start to whisper to one another in dark corners and panic rooms, the R word… I know it’s absolutely silly to call a ratter in December, just that thaw talk in mid Jan has me a bit hesitant with this winter as a whole. As many here have said you can’t have a thaw if you never froze. It’s just a continuation of the trash pattern and if nothing pops between now and the predicted “relaxation of the pattern/cold”(that never actually materialized)I dunno.

7 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Any glimmer of hope showing up in the long term? Or do we start to whisper to one another in dark corners and panic rooms, the R word… I know it’s absolutely silly to call a ratter in December, just that thaw talk in mid Jan has me a bit hesitant with this winter as a whole. As many here have said you can’t have a thaw if you never froze. It’s just a continuation of the trash pattern and if nothing pops between now and the predicted “relaxation of the pattern/cold”(that never actually materialized)I dunno.

Just my hunch, but I have a hard time getting out of this regime without some kind of storminess....you have to figure with two nodes of that magnitude relenting (NAO and RNA) there is going to be: 1) A ton of mass flux 2) Ample supply of cold built up put west.

• Thanks 1

My hope is that as the pattern shifts into something new we get a good pattern that persists like this one has.  I think that is a possibility.  There should be homegrown cold in eastern Canada, and there is still room for high pressure in Ontario/Quebec at times even with a low over Greenland.  We just need some change in the west, and all the ensemble suites are doing that, though to varying degrees of amplitude.  But I think that is a good sign, and I think that as the shift takes hold there will be a storm in the NE, probably between the 8-10th.  It could be one of those patterns where just us in New England get good bouts of snow and cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

My hope is that as the pattern shifts into something new we get a good pattern that persists like this one has.  I think that is a possibility.  There should be homegrown cold in eastern Canada, and there is still room for high pressure in Ontario/Quebec at times even with a low over Greenland.  We just need some change in the west, and all the ensemble suites are doing that, though to varying degrees of amplitude.  But I think that is a good sign, and I think that as the shift takes hold there will be a storm in the NE, probably between the 8-10th.  It could be one of those patterns where just us in New England get good bouts of snow and cold.

Agree.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We have just sort of stagnated in this compression induced meteorological purgatory of sort....once something, anything starts to change, that should "stir the pot", so to speak.

Do me a favor. Down a couple of Pu Pu platters, General Gau's chicken...maybe some crab rangoons and fly to Uganda. Let out a giant wet fart near the equator at FL370, and hope that kick starts the Brewer-Dobson circulation.

• Haha 11

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Do me a favor. Down a couple of Pu Pu platters, General Gau's chicken...maybe some crab rangoons and fly to Uganda. Let out a giant wet fart near the equator at FL370, and hope that kick starts the Brewer-Dobson circulation.

LOL Yea, I would like to start seeing some signs of hope from the stratosphere....needs to happen soon, or else my second half idea may go up in a SBD cloud of smoke.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Didn’t like the end of the eps with the core of the cold consolidated near the pole/north 

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Didn’t like the end of the eps with the core of the cold consolidated near the pole/north 

I'm pretty confident that there is going to be another ugly period later in January. In a perfect world, we get out of this crap pattern and warm up as things reshuffle over the arctic and the RNA relaxes, but we grab some snow in the transition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Phinn comes to my mind, He moved up to NNE and winter has gone to sh it the last 2 years, Hope he's willing to take one for the team.

That is a interesting correlation there but our winters down here have been starting to sucky before him…so each sub-region may have to have their own sacrifice, for this to work. 

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

LOL Yea, I would like to start seeing some signs of hope from the stratosphere....needs to happen soon, or else my second half idea may go up in a SBD cloud of smoke.

doesn't early nao blocking tend to repeat later in the season?  Don S would know.  I don't think he was ever excited about this current pattern.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm pretty confident that there is going to be another ugly period later in January.

Agree. Just going to need to make the most out of the next 2-3 weeks.(talking more my area, but it’s been a struggle everywhere) If we don’t get a mjo help and the Pv consolidates it would be hard to reverse that quickly. 

Just now, Allsnow said:

Agree. Just going to need to make the most out of the next 2-3 weeks.(talking more my area, but it’s been a struggle everywhere) If we don’t get a mjo help and the Pv consolidates it would be hard to reverse that quickly. 

Well, we don't necessarily need the PV to be decimated to get blocking, either...as we just saw.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

doesn't early nao blocking tend to repeat later in the season?  Don S would know.  I don't think he was ever excited about this current pattern.

He never liked how the pacific looked with this upcoming blocking. The numbers aren’t good for nyc when the pna was so negative. 

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

He never liked how the pacific looked with this upcoming blocking. The numbers aren’t good for nyc when the pna was so negative. 

It was always perilous for NYC points southward, but once that RNA got into record territory, SNE was sank, too.....despite blocking. TBH, we probably would have seen more snow without the block. It would have been warmer, but there would have been more storminess owed to less compression.

• Like 2