Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That is slightly amusing…

For those in my generation can understand the following statement: we used to walk to school in 4° cold with 20 mph wind gusts in cold snaps in the 1980s. 

Thing is I’m not prepared to blame this completely on the pandemic culture that’s formulated over the last two years… Because school districts began issuing closings and delays for much much less years before the pandemic

I remember the historic cold snap from 1994 well.  Kids sitting at the bus stop in -20 temps at 7am didn't ever seem like an issue back then.  No such thing as a snow day for cold.  That was crazy.  

But my parents told me to put on a coat and hat I did what they told me or fear the consequences.  Kids are much less likely to listen to their parents these days.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Really 

looks to me like a vast majority miss. Unless one wants to invest in the three or four outliers on the NW edge. I wouldn’t if given that spread.  

Looks like a miss , I guess it’s worth tracking certainly but maybe 20% chance of advisory or so I guess I would give it . 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That is slightly amusing…

For those in my generation can understand the following statement: we used to walk to school in 4° cold with 20 mph wind gusts in cold snaps in the 1980s. 

Thing is I’m not prepared to blame this completely on the pandemic culture that’s formulated over the last two years… Because school districts began issuing closings and delays for much much less years before the pandemic

At least there was dry sidewalks to walk to school on during those cold outbreaks of the 80s lol

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah it’s definitely got better shortwave mechanics physically delivered into that trough… Seems like that has been trending but the NAM’s known for yankin chains. 

That it is!  Let’s see what the major leaguers say soon.  I’m heading out for a 1 hour winter walk.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

At least there was dry sidewalks to walk to school on during those cold outbreaks of the 80s lol

Yeah it was a weird decade man…. There was snow at times sure but the vast majority of the times it seem like the long wave axis favored being situated right over our heads, which is too far east. So they were so many ocean storms, near misses or Cape Cod maulers … usually at the expense of a two day blizzard watch all the way back to Worcester that verified with 1 to 3 inches of flurries and dim sun. Few lakes cutters …- it was unrelenting brutality for weather dweebs, and snow days?   I think I experience three snow days that decade, rare enough to think there just needed The Day After Tomorrow to happen. Oh but we got the cold after every f’n miss 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah it was a weird decade man…. There was snow at times sure but the vast majority of the times it seem like the long wave axis favored being situated right over our heads, which is too far east. So they were so many ocean storms, near misses or Cape Cod maulers … usually at the expense of a two day blizzard watch all the way back to Worcester that verified with 1 to 3 inches of flurries and dim sun. Few lakes cutters …- it was unrelenting brutality for weather dweebs, and snow days?   I think I experience three snow days that decade, rare enough to think there just needed The Day After Tomorrow to happen. Oh but we got the cold after every f’n miss 

Weird for sure. Same here, we were lucky to have one snow day a year in high school (Suffield) I remember one miss, I think in '85. The system called an early dismissal mid morning and the sun was out...we never got a flake. The super cold then warm and wet decade for the most part with rare exception