• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

Though it may be subtle, the 12Z CMC especially and the GFS to a lesser extent had changes vs the 6Z/0Z that went in a good direction toward possibly reviving the 12/26 threat. The CMC has a storm form offshore the SE that actually gives some sleet to coastal NC while the GFS has a W GOM low (though weak) form for the first time in 5 runs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my oppinion. Which isn’t worth much. We should wait until Monday before we throw in the towel. The ingredients are there, once we can get a better sampling of the data and the models can really get their calculations dialed in we could be back in this thing. Either way, should be a dusting of snow on the ground with cold and mood flakes for Christmas. That’s a win for me man. 

• Like 2

The 12Z GFS was as mentioned the first run in five with a western GOM low on 12/26. But it was very weak and later sheared out. Now the 18Z GFS is still another step closer to a potential big deal very deep into the SE late 12/25 through 12/26. H5 flow is WSW instead of W along the Gulf coast and there's more Gulf and S half of FL qpf. Some qpf even reaches the NC OB with temps barely above 32. Very cold air is then still deep down into the SE.

Keep watching this period as it clearly has potential to be a really big deal with just some not so big adjustments, including the common NW track adjustments. Whereas 12/25-12/26 is still somewhat out in fantasyland, it is persisting as a threat as we get closer and closer. The first GFS run with a deep SE winter storm late 12/25 through 12/26 was the 0Z 12/14 run. At that point, it was 12 days out. That period is now only 8 days out and the threat has still not gone even with no actual winter storm yet reappearing on the GFS.

Getting a winter storm deep into the SE is rare. But the Arctic high progged for 12/22 in MT is knocking on the door of a new record high going back to the late 1800s. So, the general setup is very highly anomalous.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GaWx said:

For a wx history lover like me, the highest Montana/N Wyoming SLP next Thursday will be fun to track. That's because the 12Z ICON forecasted a max of 1067 mb on 12/22 and both the 12Z GFS and Euro forecasted 1065 mb on 12/22 in that area, which would be a new record high for the lower 48! The highest on record back to the late 1800s is 1064, set in Miles City, MT, on 12/24/1983. The 2nd highest is 1063.3 mb, which was at Helena, MT, on 1/10/1962.

But the other three main models are lower. On 12/22 the 12Z JMA is at 1061, CMC is 1060, and the UKMET is only near 1050. So, we'll see whether or not these ICON/Euro/GFS runs end up too high. The odds are that they're too high but that remains to be seen. 

US pressure records from here:

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/world-and-us-anticyclonic-high-barometric-pressure-records.html

Followup with todays 12Z models for highest SLP on 12/22 in MT/WY along with change vs the runs from 24 hours earlier:

GFS 1068 (+3)
JMA 1068 (+7)
ICON 1065 (-2)
Euro 1064 (-1)
CMC 1063 (+3)
UKMET 1053 (+3)

AVG 1063.5 (+2)

Record 1064

The point is that we're headed to a very highly anomalous setup next week.

• Like 5

I guess the 1 thing I am surprised about, even if this storm doesn't work out, where in the world is the active pattern at afterwards... we have all the right teleconnections in place.... their should be some awesome clown maps showing up after Christmas and it aint.... very frustrating

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I find it quite interesting that the strongest of the cold will be mainly during the usually warmer MC MJO phases (4 and 5) per the GEFS and EPS. I wonder if this could end up as the coldest airmass with the MJO there since MJO daily records started in the middle 1970s.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, NorthHillsWx said:

I predict Bastadi’s mega cold snap to be a 2-3 day stretch of below normal temps, proceeded and followed by near normal to above normal. The Pacific is relentless (la Niña) and it looks like the blocking from -NAO trends to be more neutral by mid month. This looks like a transient pattern shaping up to me, not a “pattern shift” that would lead to extended cold and snow chances in the south. GEFS and EPS are starting to meet in the middle

Should just always go by this forecast in La Niña years 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bess said:

As much as i want to give up on it… i cant… christmas 2010 storm still reminds me of why you never give up…

It's over, and I have a shoulder to cry on. This winter will probably be just like the last 3 here in central NC. Mostly above normal temps and a small snow storm may be squeezed in. Models showing the torch after this. See you guys in February.

• Like 1

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic