Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

4 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

Not loving these west/Pac trends last few runs.   Path of least resistance is to dump this cold air supply west, makes for a trickier situation if we can bleed something east storm wise. 

Alot of redevelopers in in east with the negative NAO

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Brian and snowman19 are back weenie people 

I call it as it is.    A crappy pattern.  Maybe it changes going into January but we continue to kick the can forward, first it was 12/15, then 12/22 now we're looking at 1/1.   A crappy Pacific continues to dominate.   

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I call it as it is.    A crappy pattern.  Maybe it changes going into January but we continue to kick the can forward, first it was 12/15, then 12/22 now we're looking at 1/1.   A crappy Pacific continues to dominate.   

We should get a 3 incher around mid month if 2012 and 2020 are indicators

23 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yeah it looks like a continuation of the same old thing

40 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Seattle goes into the deep freeze next week that's where all the cold air is going with the -PNA.  We end up with stale cold and battling the SE ridge from time to time for the next 7 days or so.  

For me it's more a matter of if you can leak some air east behind one of these storms, have some HP and can get a little SW riding the boundary between the antecedent airmass and that ridge.

That's how you thread the needle in this type of pattern.  It's a tougher ask.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Seattle goes into the deep freeze next week that's where all the cold air is going with the -PNA.  We end up with stale cold and battling the SE ridge from time to time for the next 7 days or so.  

They will have a lot more snow than us. Looks a good winter setting up for them, maybe even historic.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

We could def thread the needle in this pattern. We've had much worse patterns. Nothing crazy of course but some snow.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

For me it's more a matter of if you can leak some air east behind one of these storms, have some HP and can get a little SW riding the boundary between the antecedent airmass and that ridge.

That's how you thread the needle in this type of pattern.  It's a tougher ask.

Good afternoonNW. Your avatar is excellent advice for our sub-forum during the cold season. As always …

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at right now too.  Need to see some convincing sign that West-Coast trough is going to either relax or pull westward a bit.  I don't think it'd take much to put us in the game, but for the next two weeks, we're not in it.

Still wondering whether that cold pool west of Ecuador does us some good before the winter's out.  I might be more inclined to say yes if that other cold pool east of the Aleutians weren't so robust.  The lesson here is that it's really tough to overcome a crumby PAC.

Just now, Eduardo said:

Yeah this is kinda where I'm at right now too.  Need to see some convincing sign that West-Coast trough is going to either relax or pull westward a bit.  I don't think it'd take much to put us in the game, but for the next two weeks, we're not in it.

Still wondering whether that cold pool west of Ecuador does us some good before the winter's out.  I might be more inclined to say yes if that other cold pool east of the Aleutians weren't so robust.  The lesson here is that it's really tough to overcome a crumby PAC.

my other concern is that the ATL blocking dissipates in a couple weeks.  Then we will have problems on that end.   Things just not lining up

16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

my other concern is that the ATL blocking dissipates in a couple weeks.  Then we will have problems on that end.   Things just not lining up

It is very likely the -NAO/-AO breaks down come mid-January. Also looking very likely that either the MJO dies or never makes it to phase 8. The SPV remains very strong. Also, looks like IO convection starts firing at this same time 

• Weenie 4

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

It’s tough for the -AO to have the intended effect when it’s up against a 5 sigma Aleutians Ridge. This may be the strongest positive 500 mb height anomaly on record in that area for the month of December. So it results in the very deep -PNA trough over the Western US. 

A199466C-7C50-4248-8F03-39612D53276F.png.2f3d8626fda6ac36817466f4df5c8d8c.png

60448A9A-04DB-4DAB-80AE-028B973A10E5.thumb.jpeg.0c703d5cebacf616699acbcf22b97e2a.jpeg

A66E7B4F-F936-4C51-91C1-F05DC7D1F5EB.thumb.jpeg.7c3199a99e5acb003f8d34e2b8801777.jpeg

Looks like the severe -PNA continues unabated right into early-mid January….

The very cold and snowy end of November and December forecasts for the east are about to go down in flames….might be one of the biggest busts of all time…..

38 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Many people were throwing in the towel last December as well. I wound up with 60 inches, over 30 in February. 

Totally different-we had a foot of snow mid-December 2020 which portends an above average winter snow wise.  This December looks like an 0 fer.

29 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The -PNA is the one constant on the latest extended EPS. Tries to press the gradient SE in early January for colder temperatures and maybe some overrunning snow potential. It loses the -AO during the 2nd half of January and temperatures rebound. 

Dec 20-27

19FD02F4-DBBC-4B80-A5E7-A0B6CD1FAAB5.thumb.png.babcf7d2d1476eb142d9226695a53590.png

Dec 27 to Jan 3

E71EDFE1-0E4F-4776-A5EA-FFF5D5B287C6.thumb.png.ad99fcbe5e751a8691cbe1253ac22e0c.png

Jan 3 to 10

CACA62A9-B669-496B-8541-51127BF06FDC.thumb.png.30ea6a82d44e50067bc3444f3958717b.png

RNA as far as the eye can see. And yea, it loses the -AO and also wants to lose the -NAO as well come mid-January. If that’s the case, we have a problem….

Stuck in phase 7 on the eps and gefs today. So it’s just a very similar pattern continuing on those right now. The flip side though, being stuck in phase 7 has legit potential to deal hits to the PV. How much so? Seems like it could be significant if we actually were to get stuck in a pattern capable of doing that. Repeatedly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Totally different-we had a foot of snow mid-December 2020 which portends an above average winter snow wise.  This December looks like an 0 fer.

I'm talking about before that storm. First 2 weeks of December there were some saying the fat lady was about to sing. I understand this winter not be anywhere near last winter's total but I do expect several snow chances. Last years D-J-F temps were above normal also but we managed some decent amounts. The average December snowfall in NYC is about 4 inches with less than a 25% chance of a White Christmas so it's not that great a month for snow anyway although this one has been very warm. Hopefully things get better next month. 

• Like 1