Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021

MJO812

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Time to move to Montana if you like Arctic cold during the winter. It’s been one of the few regions over the last 10 winters to get reliable Arctic outbreaks. That’s the only US region to have colder than average winters during the last decade.

2147ABE1-744E-40D2-A934-9EFD3E464188.png.bce536624cc30c2a2eaad7b1b15f481c.png

Looking at that map makes me wonder if the Rockies are somehow involved. As always…..

There is some Social Media discussion about the divergent GFS forecasts for North America (warm) and Europe (cold) in the extended range. Such divergence has occurred before during the 1991-2020 base period:

image.jpeg.7cedf549e37eae6af996b9b9c08e8a8b.jpeg

The January outcome (composite) is below:

image.jpeg.85c531ab0b8b95873e794fc976680a7f.jpeg

December 1998 is arguably another such case, though warm anomalies were a bit more widespread in Europe than during the above three cases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Eps is also flatter

Like Allsnow said , euro and gefs looks really nice in the mid to long range 

its only nice if we break out of this dry pattern and the storm tracks are in our favor for snow which there is no indication of that happening in the mid to long range yet....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eps is also flatter

Like Allsnow said , euro and gefs looks really nice in the mid to long range 

I think things  will improve for the coast after Christmas but best snow chances will be closer to the new year.   I’m hopefully we see the pac improve by then with p8-1 of the mjo through January. The dry pattern doesn’t really concern me as it’s just a product of the -pna. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I think things  will improve for the coast after Christmas but best snow chances will be closer to the new year.   I’m hopefully we see the pac improve by then with p8-1 of the mjo through January. The dry pattern doesn’t really concern me as it’s just a product of the -pna. 

Agree

Eps is a thing of beauty today with alot of HLB

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You will need the Pacific to improve long range otherwise the -NAO and -PNA will result in clippers redeveloping too far east of New England. Hopefully, the -NAO can eventually retrograde far enough west to improve the Pacific. This has been the case in recent years. But the NEPAC vortex has been setting records since the fall.

F69C55FB-15BA-4112-A0B5-97FE119C4123.thumb.png.15fbb0d6a70d3bb351e0a7358aea77b1.png

Ninja'd me, Chris.  I was gonna say: "Looks like a clipper pattern."  That RNA is really the fly in the ointment.  So close to serviceable though!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Ninja'd me, Chris.  I was gonna say: "Looks like a clipper pattern."  That RNA is really the fly in the ointment.  So close to serviceable though!

You will have storms coming out of the southwest with the trough off the west coast. The northern stream disturbances wouldn’t have much room to dig IMO. Our best chance would be from a swfe. I know day 10 but the euro had a tasty look on the op for Christmas. Just shows the potential 

AD403A21-AAEE-455F-8359-428B7C25BC18.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

You will have storms coming out of the southwest with the trough off the west coast. The northern stream disturbances wouldn’t have much room to dig IMO. Our best chance would be from a swfe. I know day 10 but the euro had a tasty look on the op for Christmas. Just shows the potential 

Massive trough over the west coast

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

That's a tad prettier for sure (though, like you said, it's a D10 OP run).  Flex the NAO on that map a bit more and your SWFE's become timely redevelopers.

Some potential in this pattern, but I don't think we are where we need to be just yet.  Lifting out that troughiness in the West would be ideal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eduardo said:

A small shift in the Pacific can make a big difference in our snowfall outcomes with -NAO and -AO patterns. Jan and Feb 2010 are probably the most extreme example of this. The NEPAC vortex in Jan was too far east so NYC only got 2.1” of snow for the month. In Feb it backed off and NYC got 36.9”. Just looking at the Greenland block both months, you would have thought that Jan would have been much better for NYC snowfall.

So while the models correcting stronger on the NAO and AO block is great to see, they still have a ways to go for the Pacific to get where we want it. We need the -PNA to weaken in future runs. Since models are always a work in progress, it would be nice to see later runs come around to a more favorable Pacific. While I am always open to models getting better than they look right now, we still have the record NEPAC vortex since the fall. Hopefully, this can change in later runs.

Jan 10 only 2.1” in NYC…trough near West Coast a little too strong

B13609AF-8BBB-4408-A8F2-B193F4527AE1.png.e745457b7e1c273fdd452fe219bb70bf.png

Feb 2010 36.9” in NYC…the trough backs off slightly and allows the -NAO snd -AO block to do its thing

A15208DA-2991-4CF8-A981-5B0643842186.png.bef85bf3b51392a7383facd7d72ee491.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1