Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Mediocre patterns are prone to disappointment.  You can call it bad luck but the atmosphere does not care about odds.  Systems are getting shredded as they move East and the results are paltry precipitation moving into marginal air masses.   They are not even train wrecks just slow derailment in the mid-levels.

That term bad luck is not part of weather. I’ve always hated that . If you want to say someone got lucky with a band for a white Xmas.. ok .. but in a pattern scheme.. luck is non existent. If it’s good it’s good and will deliver . If it’s bad.. it’s bad for a reason and it’s scientific not luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That term bad luck is not part of weather. I’ve always hated that . If you want to say someone got lucky with a band for a white Xmas.. ok .. but in a pattern scheme.. luck is non existent. If it’s good it’s good and will deliver . If it’s bad.. it’s bad for a reason and it’s scientific not luck 

Luck and due, same bad terms, agree.

48 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

This.....used to make me nuts, we had a few inches of sand. How much is that ?? 2 feet?

Around 20”. I was at work in Andover so never got to measure but that’s my best guess. Officially 18” and change at Logan but I think my area was a little better. 

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Luck is involved in science...its called chaos and is the reason for variance. If there were no luck involved in science, then there would be no variance and similar variable would always lead to a similar outcome. But that isn't the case. This is why it's best to view patterns in a probabilisric sense, as opposed to anticipated outcomes.

I'm sorry, if you are a snow lover living in SNE and turned down a chance to repeat the 2009-2010 pattern for a season, then you are an idiot and should not reproduce. Period. Perfect example of bad luck in a good pattern. This year is an example of bad luck in an already relatively poor pattern. Not awful...however, the sensible result in terms of snowfall has been awful. 

This was not a Dec 2011 type of deplorable pattern. Unfortunately, it hasn't made much of a difference in terms of snowfall. Yes, it's still been warm, but normally a period of blocking like this will produce. We never had a chance in more hostile months. 

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Luck is involved in science...its called chaos and is the reason for variance. If there were no luck involved in science, then there would be no variance and similar variable would always lead to a similar outcome. But that isn't the case. This is why it's best to view patterns in a probabilisric sense, as opposed to anticipated outcomes.

Which all says your LR predictions can't predict chaos which means you are just lucky to get it right or unlucky to get it wrong. Your having an unlucky year hopefully your luck changes.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No

• Haha 1