Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter 2021

George BM

20 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, Heat Pumps are not feasible in colder locales like that...it'd probably use more energy than a 'traditional' system.

There are heat pumps that maintain over 95 percent capacity at -20F!

Inverter driven minisplit units with EER values in the low to mid 20s.  Very nice, dual fuel not required.  Of course we always have real backup heat (woodstove)!

Just wanted to note......... Today Dale City Virginia's avg high/low is about 58/40.

THAT, is our south central Texas averages for about Jan 10, lol

Suffice it to say, I have new hobbies down here lol. But, that wont stop me from pullin' for cripplin' blizzards on the entire Mid Atlantic Region this winter!

Besides, I got to enjoy a massive biblical winter down here last mid Feb!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Have tryouts for high school swim team today. A little nervous I have to go a sub 55 to make the team for a 100 free and my best is a 53 but I swam it 6 months ago so it should be faster now. Just nervous that my googles might break or something.

Great luck to you! You got this! :tomato:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Have tryouts for high school swim team today. A little nervous I have to go a sub 55 to make the team for a 100 free and my best is a 53 but I swam it 6 months ago so it should be faster now. Just nervous that my googles might break or something.

Try Alta vista then!

(good luck)

• Thanks 1

You guys have tryouts? My high school took literally everyone for swim. You’ve clearly got it though, don’t even need the goggles — assuming you saw the girl in the Olympics who didn’t use them!

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You guys have tryouts? My high school took literally everyone for swim

Only the top 30-32 boy and then the top 30-32 girls to make the team, the cut tends to fall around 55-57 seconds for the boys so I have to ideally get below at least 55. As I said earlier it is our 100 free time that determines it.

Only the top 30-32 boy and then the top 30-32 girls to make the team, the cut tends to fall around 55-57 seconds for the boys so I have to ideally get below at least 55. As I said earlier it is our 100 free time that determines it.

Weird system. I guess the fast people are generally fast at freestyle, but you could have a killer breaststroke and be terrible at free, in theory.

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Weird system. I guess the fast people are generally fast at freestyle, but you could have a killer breaststroke and be terrible at free, in theory.

Yeah you have to swim 50 and 100 free and the 100 free determines if you make the team but you can also optionally swim 2 100s of any stroke. So I think if you are on the edge but have a super good breaststroke you make the team while if you only swam free you would have been cut.

28 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Only got to swim 100 free yesterday and will be the first heat of 100 breaststroke today. I got a 52 in the 100 though so I am almost guarantied to be on the team. podium

.....with numbers like that.

You were shooting for 55 (I think). I don't pretend to know what's a top number, but don't sell yourself short. Aim high. 

8 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

.....with numbers like that.

You were shooting for 55 (I think). I don't pretend to know what's a top number, but don't sell yourself short. Aim high. 

From the people who tried out for the team I think I was top 8 overall which is pretty good because it's my first year trying out and I am also trying out against seniors so I did pretty well. I wanted to go for a 55 and below because that would get me on the team but my previous best was a 53, for swimming a whole second of time drop is pretty good so I'm happy with my swim.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I expected crappy leaf color down here this year due to the cicadas, but I have to say the leaves look as vibrant as I can remember it being around here. A lot of nice reds and yellows.

Yeah, happy here.  Helps that it has been extremely sunny this week during the peak.  The sunsets with the tree color have been fantastic.

12 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Dolphins D is legit. But Ravens really struggled to figure things out tonight. Not sure what to make of it.

Yeah I was surprised by it too! (and so were the Ravens, I'm guessing, lol). Especially that D-line...I mean yeah our O-line has had issues, but that was still another level!

• mappy unpinned this topic