Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter 2021

George BM

6 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

OT - but just a few friendly tips. I generally enjoy you as a poster - but you've gotta just chill a bit. There's a big difference between being in the crowd of "assuming it'll be a lower end winter - and being happily surprised if anything nice happens" and being an absolute deb at every opportunity. 

@mappy - just quietly sort of makes one comment and it's more of a "let's see what happens and it is what it is" 

Your posts tend to come across as much more of a "omg it really won't snow ever - we just need to throw in the towel because it's over and won't ever snow this winter"

I know those aren't your exact words - and I know you're trying to learn about meteorology (as we all are from the pros on here) - but I'd lean towards the mappy approach. You can definitely absorb what the pros are teaching us without needing to necessarily have a response. 

I've seen you post questions like "well there has to be an explanation as to why it doesn't snow anymore" and similar. 

There's rarely a single, catch-all answer to things in this field and it sometimes feels like you're assuming it's all down to one thing. 

Post counts aren't everything. I think we all have been through phases of panic over no snow and angst. I get it. Moderation is the key. I was really, really similar to you back in the EasternUSWX days. 

Just remember that the weather is going to do whatever the weather is going to do. As much as we joke about things like the snow blower curse, or cursing things with radio shows - there's so much in this field that is still unknown. 

It is what it is.

After some introspection....I can see what has happened and I feel awful and absolutely ashamed (not the first time). I admit I don't always know what to do with the angst, and this place became an echo chamber that I think I mistook for purely a venting space as opposed to a place where other people are actually looking for good analysis. All this time I'VE been part of the problem for why folks leave. I've been the mutee (ironically getting annoyed with others for being debs...lol). One thing becoming clear is I am indeed the one in the wrong. I'm becoming part of the negativity...and that's wrong.

I have no idea why I am the way I am on here...for some reason tracking snow on here brings out the absolute worst in me (probably not to do with any of you, though). I think what would be disappointment on one particular day or two of a missed storm is compounded by days of tracking before hand...increasing the mental investment and eventual "crash". And when you're already feeling crappy out it, then you come back on here and the negative emotions are reinforced in the echo chamber...compounding your own! An unhealthy cycle...

Now, am I still worried about future snow prospects? Yes (not sure I'll fully believe we can still get a legit hit of snow until we get it. Not the most logical, but that's where my brain is at right now)--However, because of this, I'm learning to enjoy and be grateful for what we do get. (Never had I been more excited for flurries than the other day...that's when I knew I was beginning to see things a little differently, lol)

All that to say...I am truly sorry for any damage I've done to the enjoyment of this forum. I will try to do better and be better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

After some introspection....I can see what has happened and I feel awful and absolutely ashamed (not the first time). I admit I don't always know what to do with the angst, and this place became an echo chamber that I think I mistook for purely a venting space as opposed to a place where other people are actually looking for good analysis. All this time I'VE been part of the problem for why folks leave. I've been the mutee (ironically getting annoyed with others for being debs...lol). One thing becoming clear is I am indeed the one in the wrong. I'm becoming part of the negativity...and that's wrong.

I have no idea why I am the way I am on here...for some reason tracking snow on here brings out the absolute worst in me (probably not to do with any of you, though). I think what would be disappointment on one particular day or two of a missed storm is compounded by days of tracking before hand...increasing the mental investment and eventual "crash". And when you're already feeling crappy out it, then you come back on here and the negative emotions are reinforced in the echo chamber...compounding your own! An unhealthy cycle...

Now, am I still worried about future snow prospects? Yes (not sure I'll fully believe we can still get a legit hit of snow until we get it. Not the most logical, but that's where my brain is at right now)--However, because of this, I'm learning to enjoy and be grateful for what we do get. (Never had I been more excited for flurries than the other day...that's when I knew I was beginning to see things a little differently, lol)

All that to say...I am truly sorry for any damage I've done to the enjoyment of this forum. I will try to do better and be better.

Geez dude it’s ok it’s just an online weather form. We all have gone through looking like an idiot here. Some of my first posts are terrible and I am so sorry I have subjected people here to them. In the end this community has helped me communicate better with it and in general. The amount of development that my thoughts on weather and general online posting skills have increased so much thanks to this place. It’s the same for you, not to mention we all understand how it sucks to miss a storm so it’s okay to vent sometimes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

For all the despair going on about this winter so far, just remind yourself what it was like in December 2015.  Yeah, yeah we got the blizzard in January, but it's not like anyone knew or expected that at the time, or even necessarily thought we'd be heading into a decent pattern the next month.

Funny enough back then I actually kinda was half- expecting it...because I did some research and saw that the last two times we hit 70 degrees on Christmas in a a Super El Niño...(1965 and 1982), we got a big blizzard the next month (or February). Now ya know me, it didn't take much for me to latch onto that idea, lol So that made me feel better immediately!

• mappy unpinned this topic