• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Banter 2021

George BM

Until stores provide all employees (full and part time) with paid leave, you're only hurting the workers who want to earn and provide for their family.

I could be totally wrong, but I’ve always imagined (maybe wrongly) that a lot of those who work on major holidays aren’t necessarily doing so by choice. If a store could operate fully with workers who truly wanted/needed that day’s salary, I doubt most people would object.

15 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Until stores provide all employees (full and part time) with paid leave, you're only hurting the workers who want to earn and provide for their family.

Retail stores have increased demand this week. I’m sure the workers can still get their normal hours and get thanksgiving off. But let’s say your assumption was true…so then the answer is to advocate for paid holiday leave.   Instead you use one wrong to justify another wrong.  But I would expect no less from you!  

• Like 1

Just now, StormchaserChuck! said:

WxUSAF deletes all my posts in this forum.. doesn't matter what it is. recently it's just been about a model that no one talked about. 

So you’re saying he only deleted all your posts that make sense and leaves all the incoherent nonsense you post for everyone to see? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I agree with stores being closed on Thanksgiving. I can’t see how anyone would be hurt. You wanna open at midnight that same night, no problem, but everyone should have the chance to be off that day. Many here can’t remember the time that after midnight in most areas not even gas stations were open. And in many places in Virginia nothing was open on Sunday.

21 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I could be totally wrong, but I’ve always imagined (maybe wrongly) that a lot of those who work on major holidays aren’t necessarily doing so by choice. If a store could operate fully with workers who truly wanted/needed that day’s salary, I doubt most people would object.

You aren’t wrong…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

You aren’t wrong…

Oh, I'm pretty sure I wasn't. Just avoiding broad generalizations...  I'm planning on working some internship hours with AccuWeather this semester (yep, that's still going on!) but I'm doing that because I want to, not because I need to, and because I can do that from home and still eat turkey and see my family. That's probably not the case for your typical Target greeter. 

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure I wasn't. Just avoiding broad generalizations...  I'm planning on working some internship hours with AccuWeather this semester (yep, that's still going on!) but I'm doing that because I want to, not because I need to, and because I can do that from home and still eat turkey and see my family. That's probably not the case for your typical Target greeter. 

He was taking the dick position same as he does with everything else. 

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Here’s the thing…Target absolutely doesn’t *need* to be open on Thanksgiving. But because other brick-and-mortar stores are open, they’re afraid they’ll lose sales to those other stores on that day and not be able to make them up afterwards. If everyone were closed it wouldn’t make a lick of difference.

• Like 4

I worked at a movie theater throughout my undergrad, my boss would post a sign-up sheet to work the holidays since they gave extra pay. However it was not uncommon for there to not be enough volunteers and I worked a few Christmas’s I wanted to be home. Most staff generally resented the people coming in on Thanksgiving and Christmas- Just my two cents and not all businesses are the same  

55 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Everytime I see you post I’m amazed your computer still works underwater. 

By the time I am underwater I think you will be grilling rats in the ruins of civilization. Certainly not posting in here.

I think you have good intentions but I don't understand the hostility. Maybe I hyped it up too much too early. Alas we avoid the perils of blaming ourselves so that we may focus on the vision.

44 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

By the time I am underwater I think you will be grilling rats in the ruins of civilization. Certainly not posting in here.

I think you have good intentions but I don't understand the hostility. Maybe I hyped it up too much too early. Alas we avoid the perils of blaming ourselves so that we may focus on the vision.

This is a science based board. My guess 80% here agree climate change is a problem. But what do you think you’re accomplishing by posting your diatribes here?  What possible solvency does this strategy have?  Why aren’t you putting these efforts in a more productive way. Join an interest group. Lobby legislators. Go chain yourself to a tree or something. But leave us alone. 

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is a science based board. My guess 80% here agree climate change is a problem. But what do you think you’re accomplishing by posting your diatribes here?  What possible solvency does this strategy have?  Why aren’t you putting these efforts in a more productive way. Join an interest group. Lobby legislators. Go chain yourself to a tree or something. But leave us alone. 

This is not an advocacy post brother. It's actually a shot across the bow so that you can get the hell out of harm's way. A personal gift to a community I hold dear. Not what you expected probably. Your problem is deep down you believe you are immune to everything and anything. Worse yet you are a parent you have an obligation to be well-informed.

In regard to the bolded portion that is a leftist tactic. I am not a leftist please don't make assumptions which brings up another topic ... the political polarization is unreal. I come here to escape that.

26 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

This is not an advocacy post brother. It's actually a shot across the bow so that you can get the hell out of harm's way. A personal gift to a community I hold dear. Not what you expected probably. Your problem is deep down you believe you are immune to everything and anything. Worse yet you are a parent you have an obligation to be well-informed.

In regard to the bolded portion that is a leftist tactic. I am not a leftist please don't make assumptions which brings up another topic ... the political polarization is unreal. I come here to escape that.

You are just a troll. You know nothing you say here will make any difference.  Everyone here either knows or is willfully opposed. Absolutely nothing, not one little anything, will be changed by any of your posts here. And you know that!  You’re just here to annoy people. And we know that. It’s not like anyone thinks you’re for real. You’re act is boring and tired. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanTheMan said:

I worked at a movie theater throughout my undergrad, my boss would post a sign-up sheet to work the holidays since they gave extra pay. However it was not uncommon for there to not be enough volunteers and I worked a few Christmas’s I wanted to be home. Most staff generally resented the people coming in on Thanksgiving and Christmas- Just my two cents and not all businesses are the same  

Once yours truly and my siblings were old enough and it didn't matter when presents got opened if my dad wasn't already scheduled to work on Christmas he'd find a coworker with young kids who was and do a shift swap.  Besides gratitude (the turn-down rate over the years was zero), he got OT pay and a catered meal, and we slept in.

• Like 1

question here....I see a praying mantis on the screen of my front window.  Looks like a female getting ready to lay eggs.  Should I move it to the bush where I normally see the egg cases, leave it be, or wait until tomorrow and move her if she is still there. 

Not trying to mess with Mother Nature, but just wanted to see if I am worrying about something that I shouldn't. 

13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Retail stores have increased demand this week. I’m sure the workers can still get their normal hours and get thanksgiving off. But let’s say your assumption was true…so then the answer is to advocate for paid holiday leave.   Instead you use one wrong to justify another wrong.  But I would expect no less from you!  

Ding, ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  Yes, the obvious solution (in addition to paid time off and sick leave) would be paid HOLDAY leave for major holidays!!

11 hours ago, Ji said:
18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:
Damn.  Doug Hill.  That sucks.

Only 71. What happened. Feel awful.

12 hours ago, nj2va said:

Doug Hill passed away today. RIP. 

Oh man that is sad news.  Reminds me of last year, when Dick Goddard in Cleveland, OH passed away.  He was the long-time meteorological icon in the area, well respected and very good.  I grew up watching him on the news each day.  I imagine Doug Hill was very similar for those around here as well.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic