• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

7.5" at 7 this morning with 0.90" LE and 2.5-3" since.  RA changed to snow about 7 last evening and it's been constant moderate snow since then.  Temp is mid-teens so the snow is dry, but I've not seen anything bigger than 1/4" coming down and the ratio is 8.3.  Most of the snowiest reports on cocorahs show similar ratios.  Farmington 4.8 NW reported 10.5" on 1.96" LE; the total looks reasonable as it was a 9 AM measurement but the LE is off the wall - 0.78" more than any other Maine report and 0.88" above any of the snowy places.

Just had a short period with the rate almost to S+ but it's back to the usual, which is fine when it continues for 15+ hours.  Back end looks to be just this side of the CT River so probably several more inches to come.  May make 12"+ for the first time since March 2018.   Trees are full of snow, but the later dry stuff isn't adding much weight so no danger, just beauty.  :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

At the mountain 3,000ft as of 9am we had roughly 14" or 14.5" at the High Road Plot.  5" through 4pm and then 9.5" overnight.

HighRoadPictogram.jpg.4ac61487110981ad53457b01a5939d75.jpg

The bonus snows are here in full fluff factor now after the first 14" were very dense.

485114195_Feb4.gif.586af819742bcf5540c15a50923b8a8a.gif

I miss this terribly! I always loved the backside fluff. It's how we got to 30 inches in the Pi Day storm. Looks like a nice solid double digit snow for a lot of the region.

11.9 inches when I left the house at 10 ish.  The radar off to the SW is looking healthy for another slug later.

BTV has extended the warnings:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...
As of 1234 PM EST Friday...Have extended our winter storm
warning to continue through 7 PM, including the evening commute.
CAMS models are showing reinvigorating shot of snow in the
18-00z timeframe. Have increased snow amounts and pops in that
timeframe to account for this. An upper level shortwave moving
along the nearly stationary frontal boundary to our southeast is
adding enough lift to help reinvigorate the snow this afternoon
into the evening.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Amazing day out there and it’s ripping again 

I have skied at BW on days like today and mountain in places doesn't have enough pitch to push your way through the ungroomed snow. I notice Sugarloaf opened Bracket Basin and Saddleback is 100% open which means they are now between 3-4' of snow depth finally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

I have skied at BW on days like today and mountain in places doesn't have enough pitch to push your way through the ungroomed snow. I notice Sugarloaf opened Bracket Basin and Saddleback is 100% open which means they are now between 3-4' of snow depth finally.

It’s not exactly effervescent fluff out there either. More like grandmas famous mashed potatoes. Easy to get tangled up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus said:

You gotta know which trails to avoid. :) On a day like this, the glades are just incredible   

This was a top 10 day for sure  

05FF49B9-667F-4D6F-A556-50ADAFA24B33.jpeg

15F72F34-C742-4F44-A0D1-2E0C8A996C57.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

2:15 measurement.  Another 2-1/4” since 6:00 am.  Total storm so far 13-1/2”. I honestly think there is more new snow here than there was at the mountain (Stowe) today.

It's quite possible that since like 8pm last night there was more snow in Montpelier as it was further southeast.  The mountain totals include the 3-5" of dense wet snow that fell yesterday when it was raining down lower.  That is what got the storm totals to the 15-18" range.  I bet MPV had similar to 3,000ft since both elevations started seeing snow.

• Like 1

Really nice winters day. Low 20's   Snowed in various intensities all day.

I have noticed something over the years in snowflake sizes, maybe others too?  Today's flake size varied quite a bit.  We would have lots of small flakes.  Then a couple of large half dollar flakeswould mix in.  Over the next ensuing minutes the half dollar flakes become more numerous.  Soon they become the predominate flake size.  As they do  they become smaller and smaller.  Over a time period of perhaps 30 minutes the pattern would repeat.  Has anyone else noticed this in storms?  Any Meteorological reason? 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What's your total?

Seasonal is 83.5”

For this event, 14”

It snowed on and off all day but didn’t seem to amount to much. Still mostly 14” readings around the property.

I actually still have some slush around under the snow in spots; the warmth and rain before hand cut into the potential of this one a little, IMO. Still a great event and getting some uplsope-ish fluff now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Seasonal is 83.5”

For this event, 14”

It snowed on and off all day but didn’t seem to amount to much. Still mostly 14” readings around the property.

I actually still have some slush around under the snow in spots; the warmth and rain before hand cut into the potential of this one a little, IMO. Still a great event and getting some uplsope-ish fluff now. 

Nice, yeah. You keep a running totals, or just on the site Kevin has called New England snow?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It's quite possible that since like 8pm last night there was more snow in Montpelier as it was further southeast.  The mountain totals include the 3-5" of dense wet snow that fell yesterday when it was raining down lower.  That is what got the storm totals to the 15-18" range.  I bet MPV had similar to 3,000ft since both elevations started seeing snow.

I'm thinking we are right around 16".  Still snowing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Definitely a beefy snow.  We are so rarely in the bullseye for any of these that I had a hard time believing it.

Everyone around here is saying “forget nor’easters, our best snow comes from the west” lol.

This was a fun event… threaded the needle to see widespread 1”+ QPF on the narrow cold side.  Heck even MVL ASOS had over an inch of water and that gauge rarely reports any water when it snows, ha.