• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

It has been 6 weeks since I hit 40F.  Since then only a few brief times above 32F.  Wonder when the next time I will hit 40F again?  Brief moderation this week but I don't see a 40F.  In fact I don't see a 40F to after mid February.

More active storm track and constant cold.  This is what makes NNE winters.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Not sure I've ever seen "from" abbreviated before. 

Feels very old school.  I like it.  We all remember when it was pretty much illegal for Mets to spell out a full word in AFD's... the NWS back in the 1990s and early 2000s had nary a vowel to be found.  Miss that, ha.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, bwt3650 said:

Another -20 plus morning.  I’m new up here, but I don’t remember many at all last year and this has to be 5-10 times this season we’ve been 20 plus below.  Anyone @J.Spin have temp anomaly stats for January around here?

I saw this post the other day but forgot to respond.  During the winter, I typically report whatever my thermometer says in the notes section of my morning CoCoRaHS observations, and I’ll include the temperature when I report on snow accumulations here, but that’s about it – I don’t do any continuous temperature monitoring, so I don’t have any stats for deviations.

My wife and I headed up to Bolton for some turns yesterday, so I’ll pass along some snow updates.  There wasn’t much more than a trace of new snow around here from the coastal system, but Bolton did pick up an inch or two from the cold front on Friday.  That was nice to freshen up the surfaces a bit, but more notable was the fact that it was the first day of lift-served skiing at Timberline.  A bit of touring traffic was all the Timberline area had seen up to that point, so it was pretty much a bonus powder day for that entire section of the resort.  The snow wasn’t quite on par with a fresh powder day, since a lot of the powder had been sitting and settling to a degree, and some exposed areas had taken on a bit of wind crust.  Areas that hadn’t seen any wind certainly had 10-12” of dry powder that had been well preserved in the arctic cold.  The opening of Timberline also meant that the resort finally had 100% of its lifts running for the first time this season.  The resort put down manmade snow for the main Villager/Timberline Run route, and that surface was fine, but the rest of the trails were running on natural snow and even the packed surfaces were far softer than the manmade route.  There are still a few of the steepest wind-scoured spots like the Tattle Tale headwall that will need one more large synoptic-level event to be fully opened.

30JAN22B.thumb.jpg.d66517a7a8ff2232784c22b237ba3c83.jpg

30JAN22A.thumb.jpg.1baebbced496387d94a24cd4034a436e.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

It has been 6 weeks since I hit 40F.  Since then only a few brief times above 32F.  Wonder when the next time I will hit 40F again?  Brief moderation this week but I don't see a 40F.  In fact I don't see a 40F to after mid February.

More active storm track and constant cold.  This is what makes NNE winters.

Same here - last 40+ was 12/17 and it's not gotten milder than 36 since then.  Only 2 mornings -20 or colder but they were -29 and -30, and both are top 10 here for cold mornings - 6 minima -30 or colder and 4 more at -29.

January numbers:

Mean:  10.4   4.3 BN and the 5th coldest of 24
Avg high:  21.9   3.6 BN   Month's max was 36 on the 6th, and only 2 other days above 32, with 33s on 1,2
Avg low:  -1.0   4.8 BN   Min -30 on the 27th

Precip:  2.29"  0.85"  BN   Greatest day 1.02" on the 17th 

Snow:  20.5"   0." AN  Greatest day 8.0" on the 29th   First AN "snow month" (DJFM) since Feb 2019, after 10 straight BN snow months.

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

SW wind tomorrow, could be a mega-torch day for me. 

If the 18Z NAM was right you would be making it up and a lot more. Not that I love the NAM but the 18Z run was a special one for you, PF and Jspin.  I am right on the south edge of heavy snow.  I don't care what happens except a ZR storm.  I was living in Metro Boston so this house was still in the fixer upper stage but just an immense amount of tree damage.  We have had a few since but not like that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

If the 18Z NAM was right you would be making it up and a lot more. Not that I love the NAM but the 18Z run was a special one for you, PF and Jspin.  I am right on the south edge of heavy snow.  I don't care what happens except a ZR storm.  I was living in Metro Boston so this house was still in the fixer upper stage but just an immense amount of tree damage.  We have had a few since but not like that.

This is the 12K NAM

namconus_asnow_neus_29.png

37 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Where's @J.Spin?

This event looks to crush all of us across NNE.

I’m here in Waterbury, as I am most evenings.

mreaves had already posted the BTV NWS Event Total Snowfall map here in the thread, so there was no need to do that.  I thought about posting the alerts map, but it was at the stage of Winter Storm Watches, and I figured I could wait to post an updated map when we saw how the conversions went down.  Here’s how it stands at the moment though – Winter Storm Watches blanketing the north as of this evening’s update:

01FEB22A.jpg.2886f9f4de1de6a6f826a5ac32277375.jpg

• Haha 1