• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Drove up from Boston early this morning. It rained all the way to Ossipee, briefly flipped to snow in Tamworth then changed back to rain from Chocorua Lake all the way to Center Conway. Changed back over to snow in North Conway where I stopped for a brief ski tour on Peaked Mountain, but even North Conway flipped to rain prior to my departure around 10am.

Here in Jackson...no rain to speak of. There was 5.3" of new snow on my driveway when I arrived home, and it continues to snow big fat flakes at 34F. Our settled snow depth is up to 33" which is 10" deeper than at any point last year. The pack has a LOT of water content in it. I know this area is particularly known for snowpack retention, but I feel I didn't get to test that last season. Hopefully we don't HAVE to test that for a while yet...

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.02” L.E.

I found 0.3” of new snow on the boards this morning with ongoing light snowfall activity.  There was some additional accumulation this morning that I’ll roll into the next round of observations.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 31.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 22.0 inches

27 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Drove up from Boston early this morning. It rained all the way to Ossipee, briefly flipped to snow in Tamworth then changed back to rain from Chocorua Lake all the way to Center Conway. Changed back over to snow in North Conway where I stopped for a brief ski tour on Peaked Mountain, but even North Conway flipped to rain prior to my departure around 10am.

Here in Jackson...no rain to speak of. There was 5.3" of new snow on my driveway when I arrived home, and it continues to snow big fat flakes at 34F. Our settled snow depth is up to 33" which is 10" deeper than at any point last year. The pack has a LOT of water content in it. I know this area is particularly known for snowpack retention, but I feel I didn't get to test that last season. Hopefully we don't HAVE to test that for a while yet...

I know you've mentioned this before but are you at the base of the black mountain ski trail or doublehead? I hiked black in early January last season and was shocked at how little snow was needed for it to be skiable. I'm sure conditions up there are great right now. 

Just now, MRVexpat said:

I know you've mentioned this before but are you at the base of the black mountain ski trail or doublehead? I hiked black in early January last season and was shocked at how little snow was needed for it to be skiable. I'm sure conditions up there are great right now. 

I'm one mile from the Black Mountain parking lot and immediately adjacent to the Doublehead Ski Trail. Conditions are superb right now!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, alex said:

Nice little bust in the forecast lol. The 1” we had in the forecast turned into almost half a foot of very pretty spring like snow. Seems elevation dependent, you could see a clear line on the hills on the way to Whitefield. Still snowing!

Yep, solid bust. Towards the end the snow was melting/pancaking as fast or faster than it was falling though.

Ended up with 6" on the nose here. The temperature did briefly spike all the way to 40F when the sun came out this afternoon, but it was short-lived and doesn't seem to have made too much of a dent to our very robust snowpack. Back down to 29F now. 

My peak snow depth last winter was measured on February 22nd, which is likely quite early for this location compared to climo. With 30"+ on the level right now and at least 2-3 weeks until our climatological peak depth, I would imagine we have a fighting chance of reaching a 40" depth this season which would have seemed nearly impossible just a few short weeks ago. The rest of this week looks quiet on the synoptic front, but I'm not writing off the coastal system early next week as our next potential. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to more tolerable temps this week. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah buddy.  Winter vibes.

Been a really nice stretch since mid-Jan.

I can see how a 250" winter could happen if this tempo kept up pretty much from late-November to mid-April.

I have a feeling the big winters in the Randolph record must have featured some large marginal events. My spot seems to really crush those. East-flow firehoses at 31 degrees.

27 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I think Crescent Ridge may be calling my name soon. How's your snow depth shaping up these days?

32" or so last check. The 6" from today mostly pancaked down on the 29" I had going in.

It's dense as shit. You could build an ice palace out of it like Elsa from Frozen. Must be many inches of water in it.

I'm sure it is skiable.

• Like 2

HRRR really likes Jay Peak in the next day or so.  Over 1/2" of water as snow, can see the little spec.

These are the events that fly under the radar though and add to their annual total.  They can easily pull 5-10" on SW flow with some Lake Ontario connection and then NW flow behind the system.

Pretty cool how you can see the Adirondacks rob moisture from the rest of the Greens, but up north of the 'Dacks that moisture makes it to Jay Peak area.

hrrr-vt-total_precip_inch-4602400.thumb.png.0ef3958d44b8bf7de986b4272514c2b6.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

HRRR really likes Jay Peak in the next day or so.  Over 1/2" of water as snow, can see the little spec.

These are the events that fly under the radar though and add to their annual total.  They can easily pull 5-10" on SW flow with some Lake Ontario connection and then NW flow behind the system.

Pretty cool how you can see the Adirondacks rob moisture from the rest of the Greens, but up north of the 'Dacks that moisture makes it to Jay Peak area.

hrrr-vt-total_precip_inch-4602400.thumb.png.0ef3958d44b8bf7de986b4272514c2b6.png

We should be able to report 15-20 out if that @PhineasC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Uh oh, you’re going to trigger Phin. 

Been seeing wet snow most of the day at 1,500ft that hasn't accumulated much past 1/2-3/4th an inch that fell this morning.  Seems pretty warm out.  No doubt these are rain showers down in town.

3,000ft has seen about 1.75" and it's dense/wet... probably 0.25" water.  Holding in the upper 20s at 3500-4000ft.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.07” L.E.

There was 0.2” of new snow on the boards this morning that came from the current clipper system passing well north of the area.  The BTV NWS forecast discussion suggests that this was the tail end of this clipper, and we’ll have a brief dry spell before the effects of the next clipper show up tonight into tomorrow.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.7

Snow Density: 15.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Jan thaw delayed but not denied out there.

Sun blasted out up here 1-2 hours ago and it feels hot on the hill in the sun. Spring vibe with some pow left still on upper mountain from the recent 3-4” past 36 or so hours while base area 1500ft is like sit outside on the patio spring weather.  Water dripping off the rooflines, etc.