Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Jan thaw delayed but not denied out there.

I, like you get roasted on a day like today with our south facing slope.  47.7F   As we head towards spring the disparity between the south facing and north facing slopes increases.  My brother lives in Aspen.  With the high elevation and southern latitude the sun really melts the south side of the mountains.  I notice it less in New England.  My pack is so dense right now that I only lost a couple of inches today.  11" at the snow stake remains.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

48 at 11:30. Torch!

This was not forecasted.

My pack seems to be holding fine, though. It's a beastly pack indeed. Shrugging this off.

Helps that the dewpoints are still in the 20s. 

I had a hard time getting temps falling into the 30s for most places through the night but pushing 50 is a lot. Then again when it's ripping at 60 knots at the top of the inversion it's hard to cool off much with all that WAA.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I had a hard time getting temps falling into the 30s for most places through the night but pushing 50 is a lot. Then again when it's ripping at 60 knots at the top of the inversion it's hard to cool off much with all that WAA.

Still 47 with 15 mph winds... just nuts. This is a microclimate thing for me. I'm sure other areas are on track.

Low of 36F here at 1500' in Jackson. This was the first night that failed to dip below freezing in many weeks. I'll have to get out into the woods to do some depth measurements today, but I don't think we've lost more than a few inches since our peak depth of 33" was reached on Tuesday. Maybe we have 28" OTG now? But the melting has certainly accelerated today with higher dewpoints. 47/34 with a gusty west wind currently.

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

For sure.  Last 3 days here were 38/24, 39/13 and 41/19.  The rain after snow on 2/8 left the pack at 24" and 3 days near 40 with considerable sun haven't been able to dent the mass.  Late next week may be a different scenario.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What are some legendary NNE March snow patterns of the past? I seem to recall coming up to BW in March 2006 I think and it snowed every day to what seemed like 3 feet. May be off a year there. 

March-April 2007 is a classic. 

March 2018 was also quite good more recently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What are some legendary NNE March snow patterns of the past? I seem to recall coming up to BW in March 2006 I think and it snowed every day to what seemed like 3 feet. May be off a year there. 

March 2001, March 2007, March 2018 are probably top three. 2001 was probably the biggest, and that's a bitter pill for me to swallow since that was largely due to one of the most historic busts of all time in the NJ/NYC area (where I was living at the time). I remember watching Paul Kocin on TWC displaying a map of 20-30" forecast across the entire state of NJ, but the storm shifted north at the last minute and pounded New England instead. As a high schooler and TRUE weather weenie at the time, it was devastating! Meanwhile up north, some parts of NH (even outside of the mountains) had a 40" depth that lasted into early April if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

March 2001, March 2007 are my favorites. March 2011 had a 24-30 incher of dense snow.  March 2017 had a four foot storm (named Stella by TWC) that was synoptic followed by huge upslope.  March 2018 had a big one too.

2007 though from mid-January through April was absolutely obscene.  Valentines Day 2007 is still the biggest most impactful snowfall I've seen up here.  There was a St Patty's Day storm that dropped 12-18" synoptic and another like 18-24" upslope.  I remember that was one that started out as a coastal plain storm and then kept hugging and amping up until go time (where'd those storms go? Ha).   April had like 6 feet of snow.  I remember an event where it snowed like two feet of concrete at the base of Stowe and then changed to like over an inch of rain.  That snowpack was so beefy that winter.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

March 2001, March 2007 are my favorites. March 2011 had a 24-30 incher of dense snow.  March 2017 had a four foot storm (named Stella by TWC) that was synoptic followed by huge upslope.  March 2018 had a big one too.

2007 though from mid-January through April was absolutely obscene.  Valentines Day 2007 is still the biggest most impactful snowfall I've seen up here.  There was a St Patty's Day storm that dropped 12-18" synoptic and another like 18-24" upslope.  I remember that was one that started out as a coastal plain storm and then kept hugging and amping up until go time (where'd those storms go? Ha).   April had like 6 feet of snow.  I remember an event where it snowed like two feet of concrete at the base of Stowe and then changed to like over an inch of rain.  That snowpack was so beefy that winter.   

Would be nice to get a firehose pattern like that. Last March was really dry here. Just a slow burn watching the sun melt the pack day after day.

March snowstorms loom large in my memory, starting with 18-19, 1956, 24" of powder and the first storm of 10"+ I'd experienced.  (The 12/26-27/1947 dump doesn't count - I was 21 months old.)  Two years and 2 months after that 2-footer we had another one, this time a paste bomb, then 18" of cold (mid-teens) pow on 3/3/1960.

Biggest snowfall I've seen is 26.5" on 3/14-15/1984 in Fort Kent.  Three years earlier, with ground nearly bare following the record thaw in February, a 1-3" forecast for 3/17 turned into 21" over some 48 hours with blizzard conditions and singles-teens cold.  Our total from the 1993 Superstorm was among the lowest in New England, 10.3" of heavily rimed 6:1 grit, though it built the peak to 31", tops for our 13 winters in Gardiner.

Our 1st winter here in the foothills was pure meh until the two 14" dumps in March, then 2 years later March had 55.5" with 2 storms totaling 35" in the month's final 10 days, building the pack to 48" on 3/31.  (Farmington's 58.3" that month is their 4th largest on record, and most for any month not starting with "F".)  Pi Day 2017 was the most recent of our 4 events here meeting blizzard criteria and probably the fiercest of the 4.  Then the next year featured 2 storms totaling 36.4" in the 7th-14th period. 

Of course, March is often either great or awful, with 3/2010 bringing only 0.6" (and milder than even 3/2012) and last year one slushy 0.1".

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We actually started seeing flakes associated with the current clipper this morning when we were out on the mountain, and the squalls going on across the lake in the Adirondacks made for some impressive views, but it wasn’t until later this afternoon that we started to pick up accumulation down here in the valley

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 28.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

45F to 27F now… locking up tight out there.  Ski surface conditions are now screwed until it snows again or warms up.  Ungroomed stuff will be basically unskiable and groomers likely the classic eastern granular.

Yeah, down to 28.9°. Driveway is crunchy again. Was a little surprised that the snowblower paths didn’t melt to grass. I guess we never got really high dews. I think I saw a high dew of 34°

On 2/11/2022 at 5:57 PM, powderfreak said:

These warm days with low dews are so nice.  Like 45/18 at MVL… keeps snowmelt in check.  Felt warm on the mountain but snow stayed dry above 1700-1800ft despite above freezing temps.  3” from yesterday up there led to nice soft bumps in mild temps… I want this for a month lol.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:18 PM, powderfreak said:

It was hard to complain today.  Conditions were perfect for the steeper terrain around NNE.

Today was clearly the day to be out there this weekend.  We headed up to Bolton in the late morning period for a session, and I was unsure if we were going to be dealing with spring conditions, or who knows what.  It turned out to be one of those Colorado/continental climate types of days, where even temperatures up around 40 F don’t really wet the snow because of the low humidity.

It’s really hard to overstate what a game changer Winter Storm Landon was around here for the lower elevation slopes.  That’s probably 2” of L.E. that wouldn’t be out there right now, and I doubt we’d be skiing the natural terrain down to 1,500’ without that shot.

Today was great with flakes in the air even with sunshine, and we got to watch the snow squalls breaking out everywhere in the ‘dacks with the approach of the clipper system.

12FEB22A.thumb.jpg.1ad9042f2642ad95573b2eef5bff1689.jpg

12FEB22E.thumb.jpg.59041022ab75738845ba9c18b6b20e34.jpg

12FEB22D.thumb.jpg.07fb6d599c3e9bd78457577d045c4b69.jpg

12FEB22C.jpg.b04bd25c18d463929bef90b10ceb526f.jpg

12FEB22B.thumb.jpg.0f9c2dd4d0c49dc4b463dbff6cf7d1e8.jpg

• Like 2