Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

To be honest, I’m not sure I’ve even taken full notice of those individual numbers at the sites.  I assume they’re just their deterministic point forecasts for those specific locations.

I think people would treat them like any deterministic snowfall forecast; it’s not going to be the exact number for the snowfall, but it gives you an idea of what the forecast suggests.

Listing the ranges in text for each site seems practical for a more probabilistic forecasting approach, but as I look at them now, it has me thinking, what’s the point?  If the shading already gives the ranges, and then the text just has those same ranges listed for each site, it’s sort of redundant information.

Edward Tufte would probably dedicate at least half a page to these charts in one of his books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Tufte

He always had an issue with busy charts full of redundant information in big bold fonts that distract the viewer from the bigger picture the creator is trying to convey. Easier said than done to make a perfect chart though. I think these NWS graphics are pretty good.

Information visualization is a fascinating and relevant topic for many disciplines, and I recommend his books to anyone who has an interest in that topic. They are full of beautiful examples of excellent and terrible visualizations of complex data. Several weather-related examples in his books.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don’t like these warm runs. Yes, I’m still on the cold side but it feels like the margin is getting thinner. 

Feel like this literally happens with every event with some warm nose involved, every model run ticks warmer and warmer and warmer, and then still ends up even warmer than guidance at go time and during the event :lol:

Some of these mesos have like 2-3" here of precip with alot of sleet. I officially hate this event..lol

3 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Feel like this literally happens with every event with some warm nose involved, every model run ticks warmer and warmer and warmer, and then still ends up even warmer than guidance at go time and during the event :lol:

Some of these mesos have like 2-3" here of precip with alot of sleet. I officially hate this event..lol

Mitch just melted down on Twitter over it.

I'm down in Massachusetts at the moment, heading up north around 6pm this evening. Model output looks unanimously good for me, Phin, and a lot of the VT posters in here. Precarious forecast for the Lakes region and points south - the cutoff in snowfall amounts could be quite cruel for those caught on the wrong side of it.

I've been away from the board for the last several days, and I'm sure there's been discussion of the icing potential in southern NH in the actual storm thread. To me, this does have the classic look of an ice storm where perhaps some of those "weenie maps" won't be too far off (normally I reduce those maps by at least 50 percent). But the fresh input of cold, dry arctic air feeding into the system and a couple waves of low pressure rippling along a stalled frontal boundary with many hours of light to moderate precip looks like a classic setup for someone to get a heavy glazing. Worcester Hills, Monadnocks, and Merrimack Valley perhaps?

Either way...keep that stuff south of us!! This is the mid-season kick our ski season has been so desperately needing up north.

Snow was good in the woods that weren't skied off yesterday, but a few of the glades were holding on for dear life.  There were a couple of panic moments when you go around a blind corner and realize you have to ski in a 12 inch path between exposed roots and rocks...gets the blood pumping for sure.  The mountain kind of held on just long  enough to get to this storm, which should solidify things for a while.  The lack of rain or a thaw has been great to limit things to just skied off conditions, rather than straight up ice.  There was definitely a difference between smuggs and jay the last few days, where I think smuggs was really stretching some of those open natural trails. Left last night for a week to beat the storm home so I can guarantee it will be an over-performer and the biggest of the year.  Need to fill up those snow making ponds for final touches too.  

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Really tough forecast for my hood!  Congrats to all those north of me.  Battle line is right through me.  I might ping for hours or maybe I will just squeak in to the snow.  I'm looking at 925mb and 850mb temps.  

Riding the line, waiting for the sound of pingers to either start or stop. Been there so many times in MD.

I have said it a couple times here, but I never buy into "cold chasing rain" turnover storms. The cold is always late and the warm push always early and stronger. These usually seem to end up being a bit of stray mixed crap to whiten the ground as the storm pulls away. That will be a fate of a lot of SNE, IMO.

12 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Though a very different setup, this event has a faint aroma of Dec 7-9, 2014.  That storm was forecast at 10-16" here, basically our current forecast for tonight/tomorrow.  The 2014 thing brought 1.3" snow and 2"+ of 33-35° RA.  Meanwhile, western Maine mountains above about 1800' had 18-30" of tree-wrecking paste.  (It was the 2nd of that season's mega-busts, storms that brought only 1/8 the snow needed for the forecast to verify.)

I remain optimistic about this one, for now.