Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
RippleEffect

21 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

you just know someone, somewhere, at sometime, tried it

So I can count on you to sponsor the event?

Will Rutgers's Spotted Lantern Fly eating contest. A NY/New England ecological action.

I'll happily front the initial $100 prize. Double it if 200 are eaten.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, forkyfork said:

22 hours ago, rclab said:

Good evening RE. Autumn is probably hanging out in the same place you can find spring when we’ve all had enough of winter. As always ….

hope you're doing well... it seems like there's no spring or fall anymore it's winter and summer!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

they might be acceptable fried

4 hours ago, etudiant said:

So I can count on you to sponsor the event?

Will Rutgers's Spotted Lantern Fly eating contest. A NY/New England ecological action.

I'll happily front the initial $100 prize. Double it if 200 are eaten.

the tree of heaven produces a lot of bitter-tasting alkaloids which i imagine may concentrate in the lanternfly.  probably a key reason they are so distasteful to typical predators.

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

get rid of the so-called tree of heaven, problem solved

I have been trying. I just got approval to do a tree of heaven removal with my garden club in Morningside Park in Manhattan. They were loaded with them the last time I checked, but only spotty elsewhere so far here on the uws 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

the tree of heaven produces a lot of bitter-tasting alkaloids which i imagine may concentrate in the lanternfly.  probably a key reason they are so distasteful to typical predators.

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

get rid of the so-called tree of heaven, problem solved

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I have been trying. I just got approval to do a tree of heaven removal with my garden club in Morningside Park in Manhattan. They were loaded with them the last time I checked, but only spotty elsewhere so far here on the uws 

Good morning Will, Liberty, Long Beach. The ailanthus, tree of heaven grew like a weed. You found it growing out of sewer grates, subway air shafts, your roof. As a kid in the early 50’s because of the pungent odor, when you broke a branch, we called it the Brooklyn stink tree. Even though the ailanthus seemed to rarely reach hard wide trunk adulthood it never seemed to lose its ability to multiply. My young opinion of it changed when I watched the movie ‘A Tree Grows In Brooklyn’ I never thought of it as a stink tree after that. Battered, bruised, cut, maligned and it still continued to struggle to grow. As always ……

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rclab said:

Good morning Will, Liberty, Long Beach. The ailanthus, tree of heaven grew like a weed. You found it growing out of sewer grates, subway air shafts, your roof. As a kid in the early 50’s because of the pungent odor, when you broke a branch, we called it the Brooklyn stink tree. Even though the ailanthus seemed to rarely reach hard wide trunk adulthood it never seemed to lose its ability to multiply. My young opinion of it changed when I watched the movie ‘A Tree Grows In Brooklyn’ I never thought of it as a stink tree after that. Battered, bruised, cut, maligned and it still continued to struggle to grow. As always ……

Note that this was before the Spotted Lantern Fly arrived on these shores....;

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:03 AM, rclab said:

they are like weeds around here..they grow everywhere.....

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic