• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
RippleEffect

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s insane. They are just getting into the city. I did an invasive species tour in morning side park last Friday for students and we killed as many as we could find in the tree of heaven. There were maybe 10 per tree. 

only a matter of time before they are everywhere....

On 10/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, Will - Rutgers said:

i wonder if the lanternfly problem might eventually be self-limited by the amount of damage they're doing to their principal host tree, the tree of heaven.  many of the trees of heaven that i have observed infested with lanternflies look very stressed.

you might be on to something. it took 5 years to get to this point though:

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-spotted-lanternflies-missing-20211005-et63t7utlja5xj3hthvcu7l7wu-story.html

Additionally, he said, some of the trees of heaven that were missed were found dead, possibly because spotted lanternflies ate them to death.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-spotted-lanternflies-missing-20211005-et63t7utlja5xj3hthvcu7l7wu-story.html

Additionally, he said, some of the trees of heaven that were missed were found dead, possibly because spotted lanternflies ate them to death.

That is exactly what the US govt researchers fear, that once the preferred prey species has become too scarce, the Lanternflies become less choosy.

There is no impediment to them sucking the lifeblood from other trees, just habit, which hunger will modify.

17 hours ago, dWave said:

I wonder if that is becoming a permanent feature in our climate or is this a period of transition before snowfall start falling to match our warming temps. Like DC for example where the snowfall avgs have been plummeting, matching warming temps. It might as well be ATL there now.  For now I think having more favorable storm tracks and more precip overall continue to overcome the warmth, but for how long?

our higher snowfall totals and larger storms are direct results of more juiced up systems plus a storm track that used to be further south and hitting DC now hitting us.  I distinctly remember a large number of storms back in the 80s that would hit DC with snow and spare us- these often happened in January.  Now we get some of our biggest snows in January, this was not the case before, January used to be colder and drier even during our snowless 80s winters.

6 hours ago, etudiant said:

That is exactly what the US govt researchers fear, that once the preferred prey species has become too scarce, the Lanternflies become less choosy.

There is no impediment to them sucking the lifeblood from other trees, just habit, which hunger will modify.

whats the reluctance with killing these things with pesticides? I dont care, fly crop dusters over us for all I care and tell people to stay inside

7 hours ago, forkyfork said:

why dont we just chop these trees down and make the bugs starve to death?

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s insane. They are just getting into the city. I did an invasive species tour in morning side park last Friday for students and we killed as many as we could find in the tree of heaven. There were maybe 10 per tree. 

either douse the entire area with pesticides or chop the trees down and make the bugs starve.  we need to do one or the other

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Hey just wondering, are the leaves ever going to start to change on LI this year?  I’m sure it’s delayed due to warmth and maybe muted due to warm and dry?  This is insane.  Still looks like August except a little bit on zalcovas and some others which always change first.

November most likely....around the time of the NYC Marathon so the timing is pretty good there.

now i want a frigid winter

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251662484_Impact_of_minimum_winter_temperature_on_Lycorma_delicatula_Hemiptera_Fulgoridae_egg_mortality

The temperature that induced complete mortality of fulgorid eggs was estimated to be −3.44°C on the basis of mean daily temperatures from December 2009 to February 2010 and −12.72°C on the basis of mean daily minimum temperatures in January 2010.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

mods refuse to delete my terrible shitposts, thus making me drunk with power

Good evening Will. I believe that your wielding the power of creativity. Besides the juxtaposition of your Lantern fly post with forky’s frigid one makes removal impossible. As always ….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i swear we could make a religion out of you

Good morning Will. I would caution such a move as the main attraction often does not end well. Many of us, on occasion, use four letter words to express ourselves …. Love.  Hate.  @##@.   &$#%, amongst others that we hold onto and then let go. I’m no stranger to them. I have been looked at by fate and kindly left the one four letter word that will always stay with me. Hope. This forum is one, an example of a kindness given to me. No matter how dire the future, in probability, as shown by our fine board members, I will not wish cast, however I will never stop hope casting. And before I get five posted for the good of all, I will leave you with this thought. ‘Even from dust humanity can rise’. As always …..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

they should replace the July 4th hot dog eating contest with a spotted lanternfly eating contest

No worse than shrimp, plus they only feed on pure juices, unlike shrimp that will eat anything.

Maybe baked, with a nice Chianti??

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic