• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
RippleEffect

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

no one buys a copy of the almanac if it says warm/snowless...cold and snow sells so they go with that every year like JB does

Good evening Brian. I do buy it. I enjoy the spectrum of advice/information laden articles. As for the weather I give them credit for the effort. The coastal plain area is called the Atlantic Corridor and my postage stamp is located about 2/3rds up the coast S to N. As for the frozen precipitation forecasts. Well, in their words: Dec 2021 18-28 snowy periods, 29-31 snowstorm. Jan 2022 7-15 snowstorm the only other notable item to my eye is a heavy snow to, than rain north forecast for the 17-19 of March. As always …

0CF2B4E2-E137-4BD0-943B-D55E9B033A65.jpeg

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good evening Brian. I do buy it. I enjoy the spectrum of advice/information laden articles. As for the weather I give them credit for the effort. The coastal plain area is called the Atlantic Corridor and my postage stamp is located about 2/3rds up the coast S to N. As for the frozen precipitation forecasts. Well, in their words: Dec 2021 18-28 snowy periods, 29-31 snowstorm. Jan 2022 7-15 snowstorm the only other notable item to my eye is a heavy snow to, than rain north forecast for the 17-19 of March. As always …

0CF2B4E2-E137-4BD0-943B-D55E9B033A65.jpeg

not enough snowstorms...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i wonder if the lanternfly problem might eventually be self-limited by the amount of damage they're doing to their principal host tree, the tree of heaven.  many of the trees of heaven that i have observed infested with lanternflies look very stressed.

there's a big spider invasion going on to our south,  I hope they dont make it up here but one guy burned his own house down in an effort to kill them

i wonder if the lanternfly problem might eventually be self-limited by the amount of damage they're doing to their principal host tree, the tree of heaven.  many of the trees of heaven that i have observed infested with lanternflies look very stressed.

22 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

there's a big spider invasion going on to our south,  I hope they dont make it up here but one guy burned his own house down in an effort to kill them

Good evening Will, Liberty. I’m a bit concerned, Liberty. Either your reporting the news, tongue firmly planted in cheek, or your channeling Edward Davis Wood Jr. As always ….

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Will, Liberty. I’m a bit concerned, Liberty. Either your reporting the news, tongue firmly planted in cheek, or your channeling Edward Davis Wood Jr. As always ….

they are large and scary :(

https://www.ajc.com/news/joro-spiders-out-in-force-across-north-georgia/RHJSJLJGU5FXDJRVCJ4BIXN4T4/

Millions of creepy, palm-sized spiders have been spotted across North Georgia and won’t leave anytime soon, according to scientists.

The East Asia native spider, the Joro, was first identified in the state in 2014 by Rick Hoebeke, Georgia Museum of Natural History collections manager, the Athens Banner-Herald reported.

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Since most of the people down there own guns cant they just shoot them all with their AK47s?

Trouble is that the spiders are actually pretty small and really hard to hit.

An AK-47 is entirely the wrong tool, a shotgun with a minimal charge and using dust shot would be better, but the cleanup would be wicked.

I say just learn to live with them, they will suppress the other creepy crawlies that usually are the norm south of the Mason Dixon line.

2 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Trouble is that the spiders are actually pretty small and really hard to hit.

An AK-47 is entirely the wrong tool, a shotgun with a minimal charge and using dust shot would be better, but the cleanup would be wicked.

I say just learn to live with them, they will suppress the other creepy crawlies that usually are the norm south of the Mason Dixon line.

Yeah they'll get rid of the mosquitoes, but it's a horror show to have them in your house.

I sleep with my bedroom lights on as it is.  And if I see something crawling on my walls I can't sleep at all.

I have read that some of these critters can actually get inside your mouth or ears and lay eggs in there?

If these things are coming from exotic countries why can't we just ban products from those countries until they control these pests themselves and keep them from coming here?

the Joro spider is beautiful.  more or less just a cousin spider to other native golden orb weavers.  probably not the worst invasive species we could be hit with.

we could get the wandering spider which sometimes gets in via banana imports.  Really dont want those

Those can stand up on two legs and chase people around and have the most painful bite of any spider

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

they are large and scary :(

https://www.ajc.com/news/joro-spiders-out-in-force-across-north-georgia/RHJSJLJGU5FXDJRVCJ4BIXN4T4/

Millions of creepy, palm-sized spiders have been spotted across North Georgia and won’t leave anytime soon, according to scientists.

The East Asia native spider, the Joro, was first identified in the state in 2014 by Rick Hoebeke, Georgia Museum of Natural History collections manager, the Athens Banner-Herald reported.

Good morning Liberty. Thank you for the ‘ I’ll never doubt you again’ article.’ I read it and find the lack of environmental concern interesting. Hopefully, long term, this species blends into the area and helps cull some of the malevolent critters in the insect population. As always ….

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Liberty. Thank you for the ‘ I’ll never doubt you again’ article.’ I read it and find the lack of environmental concern interesting. Hopefully, long term, this species blends into the area and helps cull some of the malevolent critters in the insect population. As always ….

All I can say is I would never live there.

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah they'll get rid of the mosquitoes, but it's a horror show to have them in your house.

I sleep with my bedroom lights on as it is.  And if I see something crawling on my walls I can't sleep at all.

I have read that some of these critters can actually get inside your mouth or ears and lay eggs in there?

If these things are coming from exotic countries why can't we just ban products from those countries until they control these pests themselves and keep them from coming here?

Spiders are usually pretty protective of their eggs, you may have seen them lugging their egg sack around, so think that your mouth is safe.

That said, exotic pests get free global transportation courtesy of world trade. The early examples of Dutch elm disease and Chestnut blight were not sufficient to cause us to reconsider the wisdom of a one world approach. Instead, the process is accelerating, think Spotted Lantern Fly, Emerald Ash Borer and Asian Long Horned Beetle just in the past few years.

• Sad 1

On 10/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, Rjay said:

If you just go with AN temps and AN snow every year it'd be a decent forecast for our sub. 

I wonder if that is becoming a permanent feature in our climate or is this a period of transition before snowfall start falling to match our warming temps. Like DC for example where the snowfall avgs have been plummeting, matching warming temps. It might as well be ATL there now.  For now I think having more favorable storm tracks and more precip overall continue to overcome the warmth, but for how long?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dWave said:

I wonder if that is becoming a permanent feature in our climate or is this a period of transition before snowfall start falling to match our warming temps. Like DC for example where the snowfall avgs have been plummeting, matching warming temps. It might as well be ATL there now.  For now I think having more favorable storm tracks and more precip overall continue to overcome the warmth, but for how long?

Good morning dW. I remember, as a kid in the 50’s, listening to the news and hearing the commentator refer to a legislative time table in DC. He said the hope is that it would be wrapped up by Nov 15th, the time the first snow flys. That always stuck with me, growing up, as that or an earlier date for such an event became rare even considerably north of the Capital area. As always ….

1 hour ago, dWave said:

Probably a couple decades or so unless warming really speeds up. 

A much more pessimistic scenario would be by 2030 unless we see a massive reduction in emissions by then (very doubtful). 

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

lanternfly shit is raining down from the trees. it's getting so disgusting 

That’s insane. They are just getting into the city. I did an invasive species tour in morning side park last Friday for students and we killed as many as we could find in the tree of heaven. There were maybe 10 per tree. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic