Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,972
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    robrofox
    Newest Member
    robrofox
    Joined

September 2021 General Discussion


madwx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Blobs of severe drought showing up now in the area.  Looks like Hawkeye's area in severe now, and Geo's old stomping grounds are in a desert wasteland now lol.  Hopefully we can get some beneficial rains later in Oct, but plant/garden watering season is basically over so it won't really matter lol.  

 

 

ddf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Blobs of severe drought showing up now in the area.  Looks like Hawkeye's area in severe now, and Geo's old stomping grounds are in a desert wasteland now lol.  Hopefully we can get some beneficial rains later in Oct, but plant/garden watering season is basically over so it won't really matter lol.  

 

 

ddf.jpg

Meanwhile, 3 1/2" of rain imby and 5-6" in some areas in the past two days will wipe out the "abnormally dry" status in northeastern Indiana/northwest Ohio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Blobs of severe drought showing up now in the area.  Looks like Hawkeye's area in severe now, and Geo's old stomping grounds are in a desert wasteland now lol.  Hopefully we can get some beneficial rains later in Oct, but plant/garden watering season is basically over so it won't really matter lol.  

 

 

ddf.jpg

Anything in Southern MI Northern IN/OH should be gone after this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 5:07 PM, cyclone77 said:

Blobs of severe drought showing up now in the area.  Looks like Hawkeye's area in severe now, and Geo's old stomping grounds are in a desert wasteland now lol.  Hopefully we can get some beneficial rains later in Oct, but plant/garden watering season is basically over so it won't really matter lol.  

The outlook into October is extremely dry across this region.  I am back to watering the garden, but not nearly as often because the sun is much weaker now and the temp is cooler.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MrFreeze6298 said:

yes 46°F now in Grand Marais/Cook County Airport

As the rain came in there, temps went from mid 50's to mid 40's. Here in TH, the rain was ending and temps went up to around 60 as the sun peaked out for a while. That light rain sure cooled us down for a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's wrong with ORD? It was the only major reporting site in the Chicago metro area that didn't hit 70 today. Actually, many locations hit 71 and even 72... then there's ORD stuck at 69. Pretty obvious there's an issue with the sensor, but whatever. Would probably also explain its lack of 90+ days this year compared to other places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 3 day rainfall here Sept 21-23 was 4.43"....but since it was spaced out, no flooding issues. DTW was 4.46", so crazy to be so close. DTW also set a record low max temp of 53° on Sep 23. Fall started with a bang.

 

This mornings low of 47 is the coldest of the season so far at Detroit, with some upper 30s in the most rural areas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, wxisfun said:
What's wrong with ORD? It was the only major reporting site in the Chicago metro area that didn't hit 70 today. Actually, many locations hit 71 and even 72... then there's ORD stuck at 69. Pretty obvious there's an issue with the sensor, but whatever. Would probably also explain its lack of 90+ days this year compared to other places.


The sensor at ORD is in good working order, surprisingly.

Gladstone site shows no significant error either.


.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many should make a run for 90 deg today, though ORD could get 89'd again depending on how fast the front sneaks down the lake. 

DVN's 850 T was 23C at 12Z, which is the warmest so late in the year (by one day). Full sun, dry soils and good mixing potential all favorable for overachieving even the warmest of guidance.

1160961248_ScreenShot2021-09-27at10_05_34AM.thumb.png.14f5df92337b7913ca53d3eff6024146.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 6:07 PM, cyclone77 said:

Blobs of severe drought showing up now in the area.  Looks like Hawkeye's area in severe now, and Geo's old stomping grounds are in a desert wasteland now lol.  Hopefully we can get some beneficial rains later in Oct, but plant/garden watering season is basically over so it won't really matter lol.  

 

 

ddf.jpg

There is yellow over my county. It has been one of the wettest August-September periods I have ever seen around here. Recorded 15 inches of rain since late July..

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jonger said:

There is yellow over my county. It has been one of the wettest August-September periods I have ever seen around here. Recorded 15 inches of rain since late July..

Yeah I was kind of puzzled by the introduction of severe drought in the Cedar Rapids area, as that area got dumped on pretty nicely in August while other areas continued to become more and more parched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Many should make a run for 90 deg today, though ORD could get 89'd again depending on how fast the front sneaks down the lake. 

DVN's 850 T was 23C at 12Z, which is the warmest so late in the year (by one day). Full sun, dry soils and good mixing potential all favorable for overachieving even the warmest of guidance.

1160961248_ScreenShot2021-09-27at10_05_34AM.thumb.png.14f5df92337b7913ca53d3eff6024146.png

 

Going to fall short in the metro/NE IL.

HRRR was really never onboard, with a max of 86-88 for most of the area.

Also, I wasn't really fond of the thermal ridge cooling and being shunted southward steadily through the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First leaves are starting to turn yellow here now

Have noticed a few here the past week or so as well, though the majority are still warm season green.

It hasn’t gotten too cool as of yet, so this might be more drought related than anything. (Especially since the usual early turning Ash trees are still green).


.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of locations around here probably won't get much, if any, rain out of this stupid weekend system.  Earlier bullish models have crapped the bed.  A few+ days ago the GFS had showers and much cooler Thu/Fri, but instead we get sunny, dry, and mid 80s.  Ugh!

The avg high temp is below 70º now, and it will be 64º by day 10.  Models are suggesting another day or two of 80s, then 70s indefinitely.

Much of this warm season has been incredibly boring... one long dry stretch after another.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A lot of locations around here probably won't get much, if any, rain out of this stupid weekend system.  Earlier bullish models have crapped the bed.  A few+ days ago the GFS had showers and much cooler Thu/Fri, but instead we get sunny, dry, and mid 80s.  Ugh!

The avg high temp is below 70º now, and it will be 64º by day 10.  Models are suggesting another day or two of 80s, then 70s indefinitely.

Much of this warm season has been incredibly boring... one long dry stretch after another.

Yeah once the snows shut off in mid Feb this has been the most mundane stretch of weather I can remember.  I think we've more than paid for the derecho by now, and even have a little weather karma building back up now lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...