• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Windspeed

1 hour ago, Scorpion said:

Josh still MIA. I mean damn I know it’s frustrating to completely miss the eye, wonder what his explanation will be. People are all worried about him on his feed. Hmm. Not good for business.

lol you think he's MIA cause he missed the eye? 

3 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Mods were too busy suspending people in OT for saying overweight people are unhealthy to focus on the thread that was highlighting one of the most impactful weather events of the year.

id walk that line carefully about what the mods are and are not doing, if i were you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dan11295 said:

We are going to start running out of "I" names at some point at this rate. Even without a full assessment I would be shocked if Ida wasn't retired.

Yeah this one is being retired for sure. You gotta admit that "Ida" just seemed like an old fashioned badass name for a hurricane and it lived up to the name.  I wonder what the "I" replacement name is-I hope it is not lame.

*I just looked it up...I hope it was wrong...it said the replacement name is "Izzy". ???

*huh..."I" storms have had the most names retired of any letter.

14 minutes ago, sojitodd said:

Yeah this one is being retired for sure. You gotta admit that "Ida" just seemed like an old fashioned badass name for a hurricane and it lived up to the name.  I wonder what the "I" replacement name is-I hope it is not lame.

*I just looked it up...I hope it was wrong...it said the replacement name is "Izzy". ???

*huh..."I" storms have had the most names retired of any letter.

There are plenty of good 'I' names left, including Ida-Claire, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Ilemonjello....

1 minute ago, Witness Protection Program said:

There are plenty of good 'I' names left, including Ida-Claire, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Ilemonjello....

In the last 20 years, we've had

Iris 2001 (Retired, replaced with Ingrid)

Isidore 2002 (Retired, replaced with Ike)

Isabel 2003 (Retired, replaced with Ida)

Ivan 2004 (Retired, replaced with Igor)

Ike 2008 (Retired, replaced with Isaias)

Igor 2010 (Retired, replaced with Ian)

Irene 2011 (Retired, replaced with Irma)

Ingrid 2013 (Retired, replaced with Imelda)

Irma 2017 (Retired, replaced with Idalia)

Ida 2021 (Likely retired)

Ten "I" storms retired in 20 years. To be honest, I was a little surprised about "Igor" and "Ingrid" being retired, and Isaac is the only remaining original "I" name from the rotating lists created 40 years ago.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Ten "I" storms retired in 20 years. To be honest, I was a little surprised about "Igor" and "Ingrid" being retired, and Isaac is the only remaining original "I" name from the rotating lists created 40 years ago.

Igor was pretty bad in Canada and since they don’t ask for much, I think they gave it to them to toss them a bone. 

28 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

People keep referencing the hurricane deviating from "the path."

It was within the cone of uncertainty, no? Slower than expected. People were given very actionable lead time as far as I can see.

Exactly. It was maybe 20 miles at the most from the forecasted track but well within the cone. People are just making excuses to being caught with their proverbial pants down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, yotaman said:

Exactly. It was maybe 20 miles at the most from the forecasted track but well within the cone. People are just making excuses to being caught with their proverbial pants down. 

There isn't a forecasted track though, in my mind. There's a probabilistic range. That's all they ever talk about. They won't shut up about it. Maybe they shouldn't draw the median line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Floydbuster said:

Issac should've been retired too, the I curse lives on

I feel like things went reasonably well in Louisiana all things considered? I mean we had a legitimate verified on the ground high end category 4 storm make landfall then sit on a swamp for many hours and refuse to weaken. That’s always going to be very, very bad. The transmission tower going down seems like something that shouldn’t happen but who knows. Could have been faulty construction and could have also been the mesovortices that persisted well inland in the eyewall.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

I feel like things went reasonably well in Louisiana all things considered? I mean we had a legitimate verified on the ground high end category 4 storm make landfall then sit on a swamp for many hours and refuse to weaken. That’s always going to be very, very bad. The transmission tower going down seems like something that shouldn’t happen but who knows. Could have been faulty construction and could have also been the mesovortices that persisted well inland in the eyewall.

Entire towns are uninhabitable, two probably are now part of the gulf itself and others have severe destruction, but sure all went well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

Entire towns are uninhabitable, two probably are now part of the gulf itself and others have severe destruction, but sure all went well. 

Original post likely targeted at New Orleans proper. Outside of New Orleans, a lot of towns are unrecognizable today. Good fortune was that the storm took about the best path to minimize the amount of population the destructive (and from what I’ve seen destructive undersells those winds) core passed over. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Original post likely targeted at New Orleans proper. Outside of New Orleans, a lot of towns are unrecognizable today. Good fortune was that the storm took about the best path to minimize the amount of population the destructive (and from what I’ve seen destructive undersells those winds) core passed over. 

NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

• Like 1

Probably the biggest potential miracle outside of New Orleans proper was Houma. Yes, they got high winds just outside the western eyewall, but the core was originally plotted to track just west of them. That would have put a decent-size urban residential area under high surge. So yes, there does appear to be some breaks here, but unfortunately other areas/communities are uninhabitable and destroyed.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
5 minutes ago, canderson said:
NOLA will be without power for 3+ weeks and water for at least a week ... that's pretty dire still. 

And, of course, there's that.

I don’t know why people (not necessarily anyone in particular) are downplaying this aspect. That is huge. Hundreds of thousands in misery. A real humanitarian crisis. 

Plus, how many bridges got hit by barges and now may be structurally unsound? How many industrial facilities are leaking chemicals? When will the water be safe? 

Talking about New Orleans being spared because the eyewall winds stayed west just seems so premature. It’s not even the close of business of the day after. 

• Like 4

I don’t know why people (not necessarily anyone in particular) are downplaying this aspect. That is huge. Hundreds of thousands in misery. A real humanitarian crisis. 

Plus, how many bridges got hit by barges and now may be structurally unsound? How many industrial facilities are leaking chemicals? When will the water be safe? 

Talking about New Orleans being spared because the eyewall winds stayed west just seems so premature. It’s not even the close of business of the day after. 
I agree. And let me be clear, when I was referring to New Orleans proper, I was considering direct deaths from drownings, infrastructure collapse, damage, etc., by the hurricane during the event. But yes, clearly there will be an indirect incapacitated aspect for a large populace in the coming weeks that could also lead to casualties and suffering.