• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

One thing to remember too is wind direction is big with these storms.  Winds of 30-40 in nassau or west Suffolk from 280-350 are way less likely to cause damage than winds of 220-110 of the same speed because tree roots here are more accustomed to big winds from the W-NW than SSW-SE.  that is one good point JB often makes and is very true 

you get that kind of damage in big sou'easter coastal storms that run inland too.

1 hour ago, bkviking said:

I moved from my long term stronghold in Miller Place to Smithtown and while adoring storms and would embrace whatever happens, I prefer this “hurricane” just keep away if it’s not gonna be big impact. Isaias seemed so puny last year and the storm was inland NJ or something but damage and power outrages on Long Island we’re too much. 
As said, I’ll be first to try and embrace a 1938 coming our way - but - don’t want this pesky fly to ruin things with our third world power grid. 

This is very much in line with me thinking. I would love to experience a major hit the island. But this storm seems more of a nuisance. Without major extra tropical transition this is a core event. So unless your within 20 miles of the landfall location winds are rather pedestrian 

• Like 3

Really sorry, don't want to clog thread. Have a 4 month old and wanted to visit family down in Avalon NJ. We're leaving from Hoboken. Anyone have any suggestions if we should consider Sunday a no go for travel and just leave Monday am? First real "long" drive with the new one, so I'm gonna be white knuckle enough as it is.

Just now, RutCorRX said:

Really sorry, don't want to clog thread. Have a 4 month old and wanted to visit family down in Avalon NJ. We're leaving from Hoboken. Anyone have any suggestions if we should consider Sunday a no go for travel and just leave Monday am? First real "long" drive with the new one, so I'm gonna be white knuckle enough as it is.

You'll likely fine but no need to risk it.  Go Monday. 

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic