• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Here is the 925 windfield which is a good proxy to core of winds. You can see even at this latitude it remains tight. It also weakens quickly before landfall. If this were other tropical systems that were ETing and accelerating...the wind field to the east would be much more expansive. This is why I think any wind of relevance is near center and just to the east of it. It's a much smaller area than what we would typically see.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Here is the 925 windfield which is a good proxy to core of winds. You can see even at this latitude it remains tight. It also weakens quickly before landfall. If this were other tropical systems that were ETing and accelerating...the wind field to the east would be much more expansive. This is why I think any wind of relevance is near center and just to the east of it. It's a much smaller area than what we would typically see.

Makes track all the more important. I can already see part of the subforum filling up the thread with bust calls because they expected cane gusts 150 miles from the center :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Makes track all the more important. I can already see part of the subforum filling up the thread with bust calls because they expected cane gusts 150 miles from the center :lol: 

Right. I mean think of Sandy and even Irene. You had 50-70mph winds 200 miles E and NE from center. This might be more 40 miles from center.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I don't think so

There isn't a strong  trough to pull this really far west.

At least not yet as per model consensus. But i’d be hedging strongly in favor of a sharper trough given the significant -NAO. 

I think a tug west, phase, stall/meander 12-24 hr eject ENE, makes most sense.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t disagree, I just think due to the already saturated ground in many areas your not going to need big wind to cause problems

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StormSurge said:

Completely anecdotal but I don’t think the public is ready for this. The handful of people I’ve spoken with here on the island either don’t realize a storm is coming or are downplaying it, saying it’s going out to sea, it’ll just be some rain, etc. 

they may be the ones going out to sea...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think a landfall into Long Island is gaining much more traction 

Completely anecdotal but I don’t think the public is ready for this. The handful of people I’ve spoken with here on the island either don’t realize a storm is coming or are downplaying it, saying it’s going out to sea, it’ll just be some rain, etc. 

And that’s the most concerning part of all of this right now, don’t think many people are taking well to waking up with hurricane watches 

• Like 3

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I think a landfall into Long Island is gaining much more traction 

I think so too. Maybe not central LI yet, but I don't think the trend west is quite done yet. 

This one also had much shorter lead time. Usually we're tracking a CV for 10 days or so before landfall. Just a few days ago we were arguing whether this was even worth talking about lol. 

• Like 4

Going to be a shock for sure, they probably think at worse it might be a nor'easter which wont end well if this storm sticks to the high end of intensity guidance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

How soon do you think this will tug west and how far west ? 

The most impactful storms up here are due to significant HP systems—causing synoptic scale pressure gradient winds, slow down, and phasing with upper levels before leaving the region. Everyone focuses on the storm, itself. Look at the HP. It doesn’t have a path east, until it goes west.

• Like 5

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic