Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,188
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Itryatgolf70
    Newest Member
    Itryatgolf70
    Joined

August 2021 Banter


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It was everything you can imagine. Like an idiot I left a whopper plopper rigged in the back of the truck. Later, I was moving camping gear, didn’t notice the rod bending and enough slack that the lure came off the rod eye, then, snap! Whatever was bending the rod gave way and the rod straightened. The hook set so fast that I didn’t stand a chance. Worst of all was that my finger kept the rod from completely going slack so the hook had a lot of tension. My gf and buddy saw it happen and of the three of us, I’m not sure who had the worst expression. My gf got the pliers for me, I cut the line, and thought I’d have to push the hook through. But it was so far under my nail that all I could do was grab the hook and twist it out.

Surprisingly, as much at it hurt initially, it’s not bad at all now. Thank goodness my gf knows I’m an idiot and had packed neosporin!

Oh my... - your explanation with the tension on the rod really drove the point home (no pun intended - well... sort of).   Look on the bright side relative to the idea your gf "knows I'm an idiot"...   At least you got that part of the relationship behind you already.  All of us men are cursed with having the Y chromosome...  haha.  Thus, it's a forgone conclusion by those without the Y (all women) that all men are idiots.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It was everything you can imagine. Like an idiot I left a whopper plopper rigged in the back of the truck. Later, I was moving camping gear, didn’t notice the rod bending and enough slack that the lure came off the rod eye, then, snap! Whatever was bending the rod gave way and the rod straightened. The hook set so fast that I didn’t stand a chance. Worst of all was that my finger kept the rod from completely going slack so the hook had a lot of tension. My gf and buddy saw it happen and of the three of us, I’m not sure who had the worst expression. My gf got the pliers for me, I cut the line, and thought I’d have to push the hook through. But it was so far under my nail that all I could do was grab the hook and twist it out.

Surprisingly, as much at it hurt initially, it’s not bad at all now. Thank goodness my gf knows I’m an idiot and had packed neosporin!

Dang, well, least you managed to NOT make a trip to urgent care or ER......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, mattie g said:

That is insanely early. Lots of kids down south have been back for a week. Just crazy.

Don't they all follow a 180 school day calendar though?

They just get out in May instead of June.

I remember always starting school after Labor Day.  And if we had a bad winter sometimes going well into the second week of June.  Which made little sense because those "make up days" were spent scrubbing desks with Spic 'N Span or Comet and/or watching movies.  I remember that well, I was the "nerdy" guy running the 16mm Eiki. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stormfly said:

Don't they all follow a 180 school day calendar though?

They just get out in May instead of June.

I remember always starting school after Labor Day.  And if we had a bad winter sometimes going well into the second week of June.  Which made little sense because those "make up days" were spent scrubbing desks with Spic 'N Span or Comet and/or watching movies.  I remember that well, I was the "nerdy" guy running the 16mm Eiki. ;)

I assume they do follow the same rules about the number of days in school, but that's still so early. It's odd to me that kids even go back before the end of the summer vacation season (Labor Day), but to go back a full month before that? It just boggles the mind.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

I assume they do follow the same rules about the number of days in school, but that's still so early. It's odd to me that kids even go back before the end of the summer vacation season (Labor Day), but to go back a full month before that? It just boggles the mind.

Going to school throughout August seems super weird, but it actually makes a ton of sense for standardized testing, which  happens in May. Most kids around here have a fairly rushed AP/IB curriculum as some schools get a whole extra month to spread it out. Not sure it really hurts scores, but I've always been surprised that some of the really Type A parents don't complain more, especially after the Kings Dominion law got repealed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

That is insanely early. Lots of kids down south have been back for a week. Just crazy.

I kinda like how schools down here start in mid/late August but 8/9 seems crazy early.  My nieces/nephews who all live in NJ still start after Labor Day (that was always the first day of school growing up there for me) - which unfortunately means our vacation in the OBX in two weeks will be filled with folks from NY and NJ.  :weep:

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I kinda like how schools down here start in mid/late August but 8/9 seems crazy early.  My nieces/nephews who all live in NJ still start after Labor Day (that was always the first day of school growing up there for me) - which unfortunately means our vacation in the OBX in two weeks will be filled with folks from NY and NJ.  :weep:

and that is why we don't go to the beach (Myrtle) until after Labor Day. Sure the kid misses a week of school, but our vacation is so much more enjoyable when its been after Labor Day.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I kinda like how schools down here start in mid/late August but 8/9 seems crazy early.  My nieces/nephews who all live in NJ still start after Labor Day (that was always the first day of school growing up there for me) - which unfortunately means our vacation in the OBX in two weeks will be filled with folks from NY and NJ.  :weep:

We started after Labor Day in South Jersey, with much of that due to the extension of the summer vacation season for the Shore. I guess I don't mind so much that schools go back a week or so before Labor Day as long as there's a long weekend to close out the summer, but man...early August?

Are there lots of folks from NY and NJ that go to the Outer Banks? Seems like such a long trip when you have plenty of really nice places along the Shore to choose from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, mappy said:

and that is why we don't go to the beach (Myrtle) until after Labor Day. Sure the kid misses a week of school, but our vacation is so much more enjoyable when its been after Labor Day.

That's a great idea. It was nice to be able to do that before B started school, and we've actually decided to forego our end-of-summer trip to HHI in favor of taking the girls out of (pre)school and flying down for 5-6 days over Columbus/Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Growing up it was always school started right after Labor Day. Then VA did away with the Kings Dominion rule and that opened things up to stuff starting before Labor Day. 
 

two weeks before is a bit much but too many parents were complaining about school not ending until mid-late June. So here we are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

We started after Labor Day in South Jersey, with much of that due to the extension of the summer vacation season for the Shore. I guess I don't mind so much that schools go back a week or so before Labor Day as long as there's a long weekend to close out the summer, but man...early August?

Are there lots of folks from NY and NJ that go to the Outer Banks? Seems like such a long trip when you have plenty of really nice places along the Shore to choose from.

Yes, you notice a lot of NY/NJ plates especially in the northern towns of Corolla/Duck - I think they started coming down in droves after Sandy and it hasn't slowed down.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

That's a great idea. It was nice to be able to do that before B started school, and we've actually decided to forego our end-of-summer trip to HHI in favor of taking the girls out of (pre)school and flying down for 5-6 days over Columbus/Indigenous Peoples' Day.

When we went in 2019 K's teacher gave us work to take with us, so she did that over the course of the week. I am going to be asking her teacher the same for this year's trip. Plus, a lot of her schoolwork will be on a computer, despite them being in classrooms, so we will be fine making sure she doesn't get too off track so early in the year. But, its third grade, and 3 weeks into school... its not that bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

When we went in 2019 K's teacher gave us work to take with us, so she did that over the course of the week. I am going to be asking her teacher the same for this year's trip. Plus, a lot of her schoolwork will be on a computer, despite them being in classrooms, so we will be fine making sure she doesn't get too off track so early in the year. But, its third grade, and 3 weeks into school... its not that bad. 

I might steal that idea about asking the teacher for some schoolwork! I think they're using tablets for a bit of their work this year, so we could get B to bang out a couple assignments before enjoying the rest of the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I might steal that idea about asking the teacher for some schoolwork! I think they're using tablets for a bit of their work this year, so we could get B to bang out a couple assignments before enjoying the rest of the day.

Exactly what we did!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @wxtrix have you heard any updates on that weird bird death thing that was a minor story a while back? Curious if that’s still something to look out for, the youngest was munching on another bird. Unsure if he found it dead, leftovers from a bird kill, or did it himself…

edit: youngest dog, not kid lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, mappy said:

and that is why we don't go to the beach (Myrtle) until after Labor Day. Sure the kid misses a week of school, but our vacation is so much more enjoyable when its been after Labor Day.

This x 1000. OBX on down to MB is best in mid-September, my .02 cents. TOTALLY worth taking the kids out of school for a week for this. Most of the crowds have left (at least until the late Nov/Dec ones start arriving), most eateries and shopping are still available, and the weather/ocean water temps are close to perfection. Assuming you're not navigating around hurricanes.  ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh Fairfax County schools can just go jump, why do we start school before labor day and get out June 13th or something? Then THEN they cancelled online schooling for everyone. WHY some people could of used that if they don't feel comfortable going back into school or if they work better at home. AT the very least offer hybrid and that's ignoring the spike in cases right now! WHY CANT THE BE LIKE LOUDON COUNTY SCHOOLS! Sorry talk of schools touched a nerve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Though something I find terrible but also funny they made us start earlier years ago and got rid of half day Mondays (might of just been for grades 1-6) but still. The funny part is, that they gave us 20 extra snow days! When will we ever use those, I mean pretty lame excuse for making the school year longer. I give it a D-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mappy unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...