Central & Eastern Pacific Thread

Windspeed

BULLETIN
Hurricane Otis Intermediate Advisory Number 12A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       EP182023
100 AM CDT Wed Oct 25 2023

...EYE OF CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE OTIS ABOUT TO MAKE LANDFALL NEAR 
ACAPULCO MEXICO...
...CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE LIKELY WHERE THE CORE MOVES ONSHORE...

SUMMARY OF 100 AM CDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.7N 99.8W
ABOUT 15 MI...25 KM SSE OF ACAPULCO MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...923 MB...27.26 INCHES

WTPZ63 KNHC 250626
TCUEP3

Hurricane Otis Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       EP182023
125 AM CDT Wed Oct 25 2023

...CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE OTIS MAKES LANDFALL NEAR ACAPULCO MEXICO... 

Satellite imagery indicates that Otis has made landfall near
Acapulco, Mexico around 125 AM CDT (0625 UTC). The maximum 
sustained winds are estimated to be 165 mph (270 km/h), and the 
minimum central pressure is estimated at 923 mb (27.26 inches). Otis 
is a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind 
Scale.

SUMMARY OF 125 AM CDT...0625 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.8 99.9W
ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM S OF ACAPULCO MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...923 MB...27.26 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Brown/Kelly

Acapulco's max daily rainfall was 16.9" in October 1997 from a weaker 'cane (Pauline); nearby locations recorded 25-35 in rainfalls. Results were destructive flooding and a toll of about 300 dead in Guerrero state. NWS says 12-20 in rains from Otis but I would imagine looking at satellite and terrain, 15-35 could be more realistic. Pauline in 1997 did not bring strong winds, max gusts at Acapulco were TS range. No doubt 2023 will be a worse outcome by far. 

Considering the extreme wind damage and short duration of max winds because of the small size of the core, I see no issue with the 165 mph landfall.  There is likely a chance it was even more intense just offshore before the eye started filling.  Are there any pressure readings from landfall?

• Like 1

Sounds like a fairly good response given lack of lead time, reportedly 8,000 military personnel sent to region just before landfall to co-ordinate expected rescue and recovery work, and numerous emergency locations, I would imagine news spread fairly fast among well connected people but not among a large segment of poorer residents. Looked up metars for Acapulco but last one was before landfall around 0330z. So far a general lack of reports, would expect severe impacts, areas to west along coast would be getting stream overflow from torrential rainfalls no doubt experienced for most of region. Looks like Acapulco city is fairly rolling (flatter areas east) and ravines from nearby mountains would likely become debris torrent filled quickly after landfall. In 1997 I read reports of meter-deep sewage filled mudflows running down streets. If you look on google map view, you can see evidence of normal conditions including piles of garbage and debris on residential streets. All of it now floating around on its way into Pacific Ocean. 

39 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The eye fill was right at landfall. Yes, you have to take into account parallax. You also have to attribute eyefill most likely to the rugged terrain that immediately began disrupting the core at landfall. But as they say, too little too late. No doubt it was a Cat 5 landfall to me.

Damage looks cat 5 to me.

5 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Devastating structural damage pics coming out now. Going to be a lot of content today 

The lack of content 5 hours since your post has me on edge.  I have family with homes at Las Brisas and friends who work down on the commercial strip.  Can't get in touch with any of them.  The homes at Las Brisas 'should' be fine but I'm getting nervous.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stormy46237 said:

The lack of content 5 hours since your post has me on edge.  I have family with homes at Las Brisas and friends who work down on the commercial strip.  Can't get in touch with any of them.  The homes at Las Brisas 'should' be fine but I'm getting nervous.  

Yep. Mexican govt said all communication to the area is out. Stuff making it out looks like what we thought wed see. The well constructed hotels taking a beating scares me for what the poorer areas are going to look like

28 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Yep. Mexican govt said all communication to the area is out. Stuff making it out looks like what we thought wed see. The well constructed hotels taking a beating scares me for what the poorer areas are going to look like

This is spot in.  If well constructed commercial establishments have people inside hiding from the wind……you know the wind is bad.  Only cat 5 winds can do that.  You can best believe low-rise wood framed buildings got shredded by this.