Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Covid was always going to mutate because the virus will still circulate amongst the vaccinated.

At this point, who cares about anyone remaining unvaxxed? You can protect yourself by vaxxing. If you are still scared, then stay home or wear a mask. It's a personal decision now that the vaccine has been widely available for 2-3 months to anyone who wants it. It was different back prior to the vaccine.

I am really hoping it doesn’t affect my work for the upcoming year.  I doubt it will at this point but that is looming. 

• Like 1

Delta also won't last forever. places with low vax rates in the south will have an ugly August with it but elsewhere there is a lot of protection from severe disease thanks to prior infection and vaccination.

In Europe we're already starting to see things turnaround as Delta peaks with far lower hospitalization rates/deaths than previous spikes. India's spike was vicious (and deadly) but it was also quite quick. 

E6_kpkLWEAMNRxd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CT Rain said:

Delta also won't last forever. places with low vax rates in the south will have an ugly August with it but elsewhere there is a lot of protection from severe disease thanks to prior infection and vaccination.

In Europe we're already starting to see things turnaround as Delta peaks with far lower hospitalization rates/deaths than previous spikes. India's spike was vicious (and deadly) but it was also quite quick. 

E6_kpkLWEAMNRxd.jpeg

It’s been clear forever that “delta” was the typical respiratory virus variant that was less deadly and more transmissible. That’s evolution at work. Viruses exist to propagate themselves, not kill people. The viruses that propagate the best don’t kill their hosts. The media should be jailed for pushing this as a more deadly variant. It’s criminal. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

It’s been clear forever that “delta” was the typical respiratory virus variant that was less deadly and more transmissible. That’s evolution at work. Viruses exist to propagate themselves, not kill people. The viruses that propagate the best don’t kill their hosts. The media should be jailed for pushing this as a more deadly variant. It’s criminal. 

I mean at least what I've read everywhere was that it was unclear whether this variant was more dangerous/deadly... though it was clear it was much more transmissible.  

Even if it is as virulent as prior variants (for arguments sake) even places with low vax rates... those who are vaccinated skew toward those who are high risk and elderly. So just that alone would bring down bad outcomes significantly. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I think we need more evidence to sort it all out.  Whether it's more deadly overall or just more deadly to the unvaccinated than previous covid variants are two different questions.  It seems like it's a pretty clear no on the first question, but more unclear on the second one.

What are people eating and drinking tonight?  
Back porch. Side note, broken elbow surgery last month cost 25,000. Thankfully only responsible for 2K, but have to laugh at the cost of things. $300 for one bone drill bit of which I needed seven. Then the plate and screws in my arm cost 4400. Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What are people eating and drinking tonight?  

Tree House and pork chops.  Picked up some local corn from a farm in Woodstock that looks awesome.  Haven’t seen any local corn yet up north but these stalks are huge down here.  Rain FTW?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Tree House and pork chops.  Picked up some local corn from a farm in Woodstock that looks awesome.  Haven’t seen any local corn yet up north but these stalks are huge down here.  Rain FTW?

Overall it will be a good year for sweet corn crops in SNE.  My great-grandfather ran a farm for most of his life and this was the type of weather he used to talk about that was good for corn even though it was bad for other crops - excluding the areas with excessive flooding of course, where nothing grows well in that...

36 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’m sure most here can report the same. Boomers were scared shitless of COVID irrespective of political affiliation. Talk to your parents and they will fill you in. 

Both of my parents are vaccinated and non Trump idiots. They both voted for Bush and McCain. Came around to sanity and voted for more honorable democrats. 

They legitimately lean conservative but are democrats. Like many Boston people. Including myself. I'm moderate when it comes to most issues. 

Many of my dad's friends are not vaccinated. Many. 

In all seriousness, this thread really does help me get out some frustration. I hope I don't piss anyone off too much. It's been an emotional day or so. I found out my uncle died last night of COVID. He was unvaccinated. Second family death in two months. Some have asked me why I'm so personally angered by things or how things are normal and I'm being an idiot (according to kev). But things are far from normal right now in this country. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

In all seriousness, this thread really does help me get out some frustration. I hope I don't piss anyone off too much. It's been an emotional day or so. I found out my uncle died last night of COVID. He was unvaccinated. Second family death in two months. Some have asked me why I'm so personally angered by things or how things are normal and I'm being an idiot (according to kev). But things are far from normal right now in this country. 

Sorry for your loss. All of us need to practice being more empathetic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

That’s sux. Sorry for your loss. You and I may not agree on mandating the vax, but everybody over a certain age should get it. 
The wing dings sound good though!

27 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Sorry to hear Jay.  Was there a reason for him to not be vaccinated or was it his choice?

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Sorry to hear Jay.  Was there a reason for him to not be vaccinated or was it his choice?

His choice, which probably explains my bitching earlier today lol. It's the same viewpoint many are expressing in here. I think of the unnecessary stress on our Healthcare system and the family and kids now living without their dad

58 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Both of my parents are vaccinated and non Trump idiots. They both voted for Bush and McCain. Came around to sanity and voted for more honorable democrats. 

They legitimately lean conservative but are democrats. Like many Boston people. Including myself. I'm moderate when it comes to most issues. 

Many of my dad's friends are not vaccinated. Many. 

Here in Hillbilly CT the place you are glad you are not in,I don't know anyone not vaccinated and that's a huge family and friend list. Our death and case rate is and has been miniscule compared to your big city. So fuking glad I was never there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Just had some local corn the other day, it was pretty good butter and sugar, the best corn comes out in later August, it's mirah, very sweet, better than silver queen.

• Like 2