Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,894
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
    Joined

Met Summer Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For me I mostly see local stuff, travel, Disney, food, pets etc.  very little political stuff other than from a couple of friends.  

I’m involved in online ski social media and have been since the late 90’s…even that topic has turned into mostly highlighting the negatives on FB.  Instagram has such a different vibe in the ski community between FB and it.

People do stuff like ski to have fun, but I do think it’s a look into society these days at how it’s so hard for folks to just be content.  Maybe people were more happy-go-lucky back then but looking over SkiVT-Listserve archives from UVM, so many posts highlight the positives like it was actually a fun day.  

Now you get… “Had a fantastic day at ski area XYZ and tons of great runs but I’d rather not dwell on that, let me tell you in 4 paragraphs about this one trail that was horrible…”

Its also often the same with product reviews too, so I get that aspect… humans are much more likely to take the time to write negative reviews or experiences towards consumer products than they are to write a positive review.  We are a complaining society for whatever reason.  Maybe it’s extremely high expectations of life these days?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m involved in online ski social media and have been since the late 90’s…even that topic has turned into mostly highlighting the negatives on FB.  Instagram has such a different vibe in the ski community between FB and it.

People do stuff like ski to have fun, but I do think it’s a look into society these days at how it’s so hard for folks to just be content.  Maybe people were more happy-go-lucky back then but looking over SkiVT-Listserve archives from UVM, so many posts highlight the positives like it was actually a fun day.  

Now you get… “Had a fantastic day at ski area XYZ and tons of great runs but I’d rather not dwell on that, let me tell you in 4 paragraphs about this one trail that was horrible…”

Its also often the same with product reviews too, so I get that aspect… humans are much more likely to take the time to write negative reviews or experiences towards consumer products than they are to write a positive review.  We are a complaining society for whatever reason.  Maybe it’s extremely high expectations of life these days?

Old saying:  Do right 1,000 times, not hear of it once.
                    Do wrong once, hear of it 1,000 times.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Ask over at the politics forum.

 Pfizer's bribe money finally hitting their account is all?  I mean Covid is just a hoax, and then it will vanish in the summer, and then it's no worse than the common cold, and then just drink bleach, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

 Pfizer's bribe money finally hitting their account is all?  I mean Covid is just a hoax, and then it will vanish in the summer, and then it's no worse than the common cold, and then just drink bleach, etc.

If I had to guess, they are just covering their butts like the worms they (and all politicians) are? I think it's fine to encourage vaccine use for the old and/or vulnerable. Makes sense to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Our government just made sure we will never known where it originated anyway

Planned ...

... just like the investigation into the JFK assassination halted at the doorstop of the KGB -

'you can't handle the truth'

You don't wanna annihilate the planet over Bio toxic warfare research program that never was intended to get outta of the lab but probably accidentally did.  That'd be a helluva epitaph -lol   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

If I had to guess, they are just covering their butts like the worms they (and all politicians) are? I think it's fine to encourage vaccine use for the old and/or vulnerable. Makes sense to me. 

 If they had this energy back when things were crazy they could have been effective. Who's listening to them now say that these shots need to get in everybody’s arms as rapidly as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds paranoid but,

"I do think transmission from another species, without a lab escape, is the most likely scenario by a long shot,"

okay -

Was he visited ? ' Rescind or "be shown the door" - so to speak.

It's too easy.  And frankly, the stigma against those that harbor suspicion as being merely paranoid, that has become the best accomplice. 

We gotta go with it though... What's the alternative, just make shit up and believe? 

So it is what is.  I still cannot help but come back to the ex CDC's statements a year ago, when he described how this particular pathogen did not evolve through the iterative process - it sprang on...instantly perfectly infectious to the target organism.

That's like trillion to 1 odds...   Then this Delta goes the wrong way, too - like subsequent genomic ancestors are weaker than the onset..  Not in this case.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

 If they had this energy back when things were crazy they could have been effective. Who's listening to them now say that these shots need to get in everybody’s arms as rapidly as possible.

I think most Americans are over the whole thing and don't even care what these bozos are saying. Go out on the street. No one cares about COVID now. The people still getting worked up over it are all online just having these silly fights like we do. LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think most Americans are over the whole thing and don't even care what these bozos are saying. Go out on the street. No one cares about COVID now. The people still getting worked up over it are all online just having these silly fights like we do. LOL

True-time to move on with life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

True-time to move on with life

Bob said it best above...."case-demic".

There will definitely be some more deaths, but they are almost all with unvaxxed. That's on them at this point. Anyone afraid can protect themselves by getting vaxxed. An overwhelming number of the most vulnerable are already vaxxed. That's why the you see the deaths not tracking the cases like they did previously....even on the usual 2-3 week lag. Most of the cases are amongst younger/healthier people.

They are diverging when you look at the UK data where the "Delta" variant has been running rampant for a while now.

It's become pretty meaningless hearing about cases without other metrics like deaths.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Bob said it best above...."case-demic".

There will definitely be some more deaths, but they are almost all with unvaxxed. That's on them at this point. Anyone afraid can protect themselves by getting vaxxed. An overwhelming number of the most vulnerable are already vaxxed. That's why the you see the deaths not tracking the cases like they did previously....even on the usual 2-3 week lag. Most of the cases are amongst younger/healthier people.

They are diverging when you look at the UK data where the "Delta" variant has been running rampant for a while now.

It's become pretty meaningless hearing about cases without other metrics like deaths.

I know a ton of people who contracted COVID in Provincetown over July 4th weekend and all of them were vaccinated and wound up either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic with no worse than an annoying cold. It's time to move on now that we've decoupled the deaths/hospitalization curve from the case curve. Hard to institute lockdowns or strict mandates for the purpose of protecting those who chose not to get vaccinated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, in my opinion, the most discouraging part of the pandemic is not grasping how masking up, social distancing, and vaccinations help society overall.

There is no doubt that for the majority of people that are healthy recover from COVID fully, and for most, it's no worse than a bad cold or a case of the flu.  In some cases you may never even have known you had it.

However, there's a subset of the world population where this virus gives the body a total beating.  In some cases, it's because of underlying conditions, or risk factors, and in some cases, it's in totally healthy people that for some reason, their genetic makeup and immune system just couldn't handle it.

I'm fully aware that I'm probably at pretty low risk for side effects of COVID.  In fact, I already had it right after Christmas, and it was relatively asymptomatic for myself, and my son.  But my wife had it pretty bad.  She's healthy as well, but she had some underlying lung issues from smoke inhalation from being caught in a house fire when she was a child.  And she got COVID pretty badly, and it's unfortunately still affecting her 7 months later.

My point here isn't to provide my life story, or get sympathy.  However what concerns me is the lack of empathy towards how your relationship with the virus may affect others.  Social distancing, masking, and now the vaccine, all reduce risk (but don't eliminate) of seriousness, and risk of transmission, to those who can't get vaccinated, or who don't have access to it yet.  While the majority of others around you may not be severely be affected by COVID if they encounter it, there's gonna be a small percentage that are.  Now that we have a grasp on this thing, I had no issues getting vaccinated so that I know I'm reducing my risk of infecting others, and lowering my footprint on the medical system that if I do contract COVID, or a variant, that the symptoms are risks continue to be minimized and I don't need to take away medical resources from those that need it.
 

Sure there's people out there who aren't taking care of themselves by being overweight, or drinking, or smoking.  But overall, those aren't contagious diseases.  I'm not catching fat from sitting next to someone that's overweight.  And we do have laws on the books for the parts of drinking and smoking that do affect others, such as drunk driving, or second hand smoke.  However, there's a lot of people out there who are vulnerable for whatever reason, that shouldn't have to be shut-ins, if I can do my part.

We're pretty luck as American's that many of us can lead relatively healthy lives with occupations that are relatively safe, and access in most cases to food, water, and decent nutrition.  But even here in the US, there's sections of the population who do encounter those issues.  If you look at how COVID is affecting other parts of the world where that's not the case, it's astounding what the differences are in death rates and hospitalization rates.

The federal, state, and local government should never force you to get vaccinated.  That's just an abuse of power that can more than likely go wrong since our government is run by humans and all their flaws.  But I would definitely encourage anyone who is doubtful about getting the vaccine to do their own research about it, without the crap you read in the mainstream and social media, and, I think you'll find in most cases the evidence points to it being beneficial to both you and others to get it.

That's all I got on this ongoing COVID discussion.  Getting the vaccine, and trying to reduce risk, seems to be the right thing to do overall for others, at least to me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming, long essays about Hadley Cell expansion, already in progress...

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Jay is definitely in the minority view.  I think he needs to step away from the Twitter/Facebook machines for a while.

The best outcome is every one follows science and gets vaccinated. The reasons why many are not getting are less than satisfactory. I will never think otherwise. Covid is being handed life and time to mutate. If that puts me in some minority view than I'm proud of it. I want to stop hearing about it, move on, and have the world recover back to normal. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Big story here is whether the Sox can get under Cole’s skin again…poor pitcher from last night’s 10th inning debacle was already sent down. 

Can’t wait to see.  Now that’s a serious topic that’s been on my mind all afternoon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I know a ton of people who contracted COVID in Provincetown over July 4th weekend and all of them were vaccinated and wound up either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic with no worse than an annoying cold. It's time to move on now that we've decoupled the deaths/hospitalization curve from the case curve. Hard to institute lockdowns strict mandates for the purpose of protecting those who chose not to get vaccinated.

Well stated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...