Damage In Tolland

At Least The 12th Lawn Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, QCD17 said:

I'm still amazed that scientists were able to release a fungus in Boston in 1910/1911 and then upstate NY in 1985/86 and it spread across the entire region by itself to keep them in check.  If only we had that for the emerald ash borers.  I'm losing ash trees left and right all of a sudden.  I was hoping that attracting a healthy population of woodpeckers would help, but it's made no difference.

Not sure your stance with pesticides but I have been keeping a 100+ year old ash alive with a  soil drench of Dominion 2l. Amazon sells it for like $25 a bottle. Its the same bottle  the pros use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Not sure your stance with pesticides but I have been keeping a 100+ year old ash alive with a  soil drench of Dominion 2l. Amazon sells it for like $25 a bottle. Its the same bottle  the pros use. 

Works fine for specimen trees, not feasible in the woods.  I'm hoping that there's sufficient ash that can tolerate the beetle to keep the genus as a significant part of the forest, but I'm not optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what a dumbo I am. Was out backpack spraying some weeds last wknd and forgot what I was using was also a grass killer. Thankfully I only killed a few small spots of the newly seeded grass from last Fall.:facepalm:

capture1.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

what a dumbo I am. Was out backpack spraying some weeds last wknd and forgot what I was using was also a grass killer. Thankfully I only killed a few small spots of the newly seeded grass from last Fall.:facepalm:

capture1.jpg

They actually had the same thing happen at the golf course I'm a member at.  It happened on 2 greens.  Luckily they were small spots but it took a while to fix them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

what a dumbo I am. Was out backpack spraying some weeds last wknd and forgot what I was using was also a grass killer. Thankfully I only killed a few small spots of the newly seeded grass from last Fall.:facepalm:

capture1.jpg

You’re off to another dramatic start to the season. Can’t wait for the next episode. :bike:

image.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used this stuff with a peppermint oil on the tulips. It helps, but I also think I burnt the actual tulip flower. We fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tamarack said:

Works fine for specimen trees, not feasible in the woods.  I'm hoping that there's sufficient ash that can tolerate the beetle to keep the genus as a significant part of the forest, but I'm not optimistic.

Mine is definitely a nice specimen tree.  I lost one ash last year from EAB and had to have it cut down. I was treating it as well but it didn't make it. Perhaps the one still standing had a bit resistance as its currently leafing out nicely.

I counted the rings on the one cut down and it was around 110 years old. The one still standing behind it is much larger so I assume is much older.  

CT also released some Parasitic wasps to attempt to combat the EAB. So there is some hope that may help.

Screenshot-20210501-080549-Gallery.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it was the late snow but lawn is looking rough. Thin with lots of clover and chickweed. Still early, leaves just started to show a little. I'll start spoon-feeding some urea this week to push some top-growth to see if I can't block out the "un-wanteds."  Still a ways away from milo type given the cold temps. lNo description available.

 

Edit: Ranted a few times earlier in the year about how bad the mosquitos and flys were. Did some homework and discovered "Dynatraps." HOLY ___ are they amazing. Have one about 30' off our deck and it has cleared them out. When from not being able to be outside past 330/4pm to outside all the time and haven't seen a mosquito in over a week. Would highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Not sure if it was the late snow but lawn is looking rough. Thin with lots of clover and chickweed. Still early, leaves just started to show a little. I'll start spoon-feeding some urea this week to push some top-growth to see if I can't block out the "un-wanteds."  Still a ways away from milo type given the cold temps. lNo description available.

 

Edit: Ranted a few times earlier in the year about how bad the mosquitos and flys were. Did some homework and discovered "Dynatraps." HOLY ___ are they amazing. Have one about 30' off our deck and it has cleared them out. When from not being able to be outside past 330/4pm to outside all the time and haven't seen a mosquito in over a week. Would highly recommend.

Does it just attract and kill the pest insects or are the beneficial ones killed too? I’m tempted to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Went to investigate an area of thin grass and discovered this when I put a shovel in it. What's the best grub control and when should it be applied? 

 

E0Zzgv4XsAcBekH.jpeg

E0Zzgv6XIAIK4nv.jpeg

I alternate between Grub X and the other one that name escapes me right now, a landscaper told me to do every other year with the Grub X. Looks like you caught it early so you shouldn't have big problems.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Does it just attract and kill the pest insects or are the beneficial ones killed too? I’m tempted to try it.

So far just a couple moths along with the flys and mosquitos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

So far just a couple moths along with the flys and mosquitos.  

I saw some guy on amazon that said he caught a lot of beneficial moths and bees. Of course he said he’s a beekeeper too so he’s got more bees around than the usual. Some people on there made some guards that block most of the moths and bees, but let the mosquitoes and midges through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I saw some guy on amazon that said he caught a lot of beneficial moths and bees. Of course he said he’s a beekeeper too so he’s got more bees around than the usual. Some people on there made some guards that block most of the moths and bees, but let the mosquitoes and midges through.

Damn that is a great idea, will have to try it out. I'm truly amazed at how well it performs. First time since we bought the house 3 years ago we have been able to eat dinner on our deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I alternate between Grub X and the other one that name escapes me right now, a landscaper told me to do every other year with the Grub X. Looks like you caught it early so you shouldn't have big problems.

The other one has merit, I look up the brand, may be Bayer but not 100% sure.

 

This it

Amazon.com : Merit 0.5 Granular Systemic Insect Control - 30 Pound Bag : Insect Repellents : Garden & Outdoor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Went to investigate an area of thin grass and discovered this when I put a shovel in it. What's the best grub control and when should it be applied? 

 

E0Zzgv4XsAcBekH.jpeg

E0Zzgv6XIAIK4nv.jpeg

Just noticed I have an infestation of grubs out front. I’m leaning the beneficial nematode route...just cross checking to be sure they’re safe for chickens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Went to investigate an area of thin grass and discovered this when I put a shovel in it. What's the best grub control and when should it be applied? 

 

E0Zzgv4XsAcBekH.jpeg

E0Zzgv6XIAIK4nv.jpeg

If your ok with it , Lesco Merit is the only one I’ve had real success with. At your location last half of June for application and make sure it gets watered in by .5” of water. I’ve used others including milky spore with little success

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 6:16 PM, tunafish said:

Super easy.  They're essentially microorganisms that attack the specified insects.  They come in a powder, which you need to refrigerate if you're not going to apply immediately.  I'd recommend being home on the delivery date to receive and store appropriately.  Mix the powder with water in a can (gently), and apply to the affected area.  They'll stop the damage from spreading within a day or two. 

Scooter mentioned Milky Spore, which is also effective, but can take several seasons to establish.  Nematodes have immediate results and don't harm the environment.  

Do you have a brand you’d recommend for grub control? What’s the cost for about a half acre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Do you have a brand you’d recommend for grub control? What’s the cost for about a half acre?

Try wondercide. It's main ingredient is cedarwood oil. I have been using it my yard as its dog safe. I definitely noticed a huge reduction in ticks. Some of the reviews on Amazon said it worked great on grubs. 

https://www.wondercide.com/products/outdoor-natural-pest-control-concentrate-kills-repels-100s-of-pests-ecotreat

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Try wondercide. It's main ingredient is cedarwood oil. I have been using it my yard as its dog safe. I definitely noticed a huge reduction in ticks. Some of the reviews on Amazon said it worked great on grubs. 

https://www.wondercide.com/products/outdoor-natural-pest-control-concentrate-kills-repels-100s-of-pests-ecotreat

Looks good, but I just want to target the grubs. The flies are beneficial to me because they pollinate my pawpaws. My chickens love the crickets later in the summer. I like the nematode idea, but maybe I need to find someone locally since they need to stay refrigerated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Do you have a brand you’d recommend for grub control? What’s the cost for about a half acre?

"Nature's Good Guys" - https://www.amazon.com/NaturesGoodGuys-Beneficial-Nematodes-Triple-Blend/dp/B086683PNS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Beneficial+nematodes&qid=1619006903&sr=8-3

 

There are several different types of Nematodes for different types of pests, these ones treats grubs and more.  The "Hb" type treats for Grubs, and they do sell a package with only that type of Nematode.  They sell them by the million and I believe the rate is 50 mil /12,500 square feet.  

I'm fairly certain they're Chicken-safe, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm interested to know now, though, as we just got chicks.  They won't be outside for another 6 weeks and I didn't treat any areas that are near their run, so low-risk even if they aren't chook-safe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks good, but I just want to target the grubs. The flies are beneficial to me because they pollinate my pawpaws. My chickens love the crickets later in the summer. I like the nematode idea, but maybe I need to find someone locally since they need to stay refrigerated.

 

They are delivered with an ice pack, which is why the shipping cost is a bit higher.  As long as you don't let them sit on your porch for a whole day in the sun they'll be OK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

First mowing of the season.  Always 2-3 weeks behind valleys, coasts . May 20 is best looking lawn date. After that they go downhill 

Z5h96mR.jpg

Looks good, I'm trying a new fertilizer this year, hoping for good results. Scotts three in one, kills crabgrass, dandis and clover and enriches soil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Looks good, I'm trying a new fertilizer this year, hoping for good results. Scotts three in one, kills crabgrass, dandis and clover and enriches soil.

I’m not enamored with it this year. The drought last summer and fall did some big damage in spots. I reseeded some areas in the fall and they look good, but I missed some that i thought  would come back and it didn’t. And I hate seeding in spring as it invites weeds and shallow roots, but I had to do it . Pollen is off the charts . With every species leafing out at once last week, it’s brutal. I blew off the deck and driveway after mowing and there was just clouds of it . On the fert. Nothing will beat Lesco . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.