• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 17-18 Severe Weather Event

DanLarsen34

Elon university in alamance county just sent out an emergency alert of possible tornadoes sighted and to take shelter immediately.

Bust, my ass.

I was doing a client presentation on WebEx with air raids going off behind me and the house shaking.

Geeez that was close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kayman said:

Blame that on Congress...  Charlotte has been lobbying for a closer NWS radar station for nearly 2 decades now...  It's the largest urbanized region (3M+ residents) in the nation without a NWS radar site within 70 miles of its location.

That’s absurd, I did not know that...with the insane amount of money we spend on other things that’s just crappy our politicians can’t agree on something seemingly smart and simple. And obviously the NWS is a government agency, but does congress really have that tight of control on the budget? I figured they approve a certain dollar amount and then it’s up to the NOAA/NWS how to allocate or am I grossly mistaken? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

That’s absurd, I did not know that...with the insane amount of money we spend on other things that’s just crappy our politicians can’t agree on something seemingly smart and simple. And obviously the NWS is a government agency, but does congress really have that tight of control on the budget? I figured they approve a certain dollar amount and then it’s up to the NOAA/NWS how to allocate or am I grossly mistaken? 

Agreed but it costs $10 Million for a new one, and $500K a year to maintain. Very expensive technology for sure

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Agreed but it costs $10 Million for a new one, and $500K a year to maintain. Very expensive technology for sure

Ya definitely not cheap, and not trying to drag politics into this to much but obviously it is intertwined. The cost is minuscule even if it only saves a few lives. I’ve read it cost somewhere like 1.5 million - 2 million a year just to keep one active duty service member in Afghanistan. We could spend our money in better places, but I don’t want to beat the bush here and ruffle to many feathers in this thread...it’s prob best saved for a discussion at a different time. 

• Thanks 1

About to post some pics. I caught the tor warned cell in Alamance and then the next one to its southwest near Saxapawhaw that also became warned. If there was any funnel it was most certainly rainwrapped. None the less not a bad first chase of the year.

• Like 3

Has there been a confirmed tornado report? 

Dunno if it was confirmed but I’d be shocked if there wasn’t one immediately west of Gibsonville. I heard the damn thing. Constant thunder/freight train like rumble that tracked ENE around my neighborhood as the storm peaked. Clear as day. Lined up with the hook that split between us and Whitsett.  

Damage on Spring Hope Church Rd lines up with that. Looks like it went back up and then touched again near downtown Burlington.

• Like 1

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is pretty laughable. Not a single severe weather report in the level 4 area from yesterday or even the enhanced area (maybe a wind report on the extreme edge?). They dismissed school early and many, many business shut down from the triangle east due to the severe weather threat

B16B58B9-8D9E-47E7-B0C6-07A128D25108.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, yesterday was a big bust.  No other way to put it.  That just goes to show how complicated the science is.  With that said, both NWS and local mets consistently explained ways that this could end up being less of a big deal..  However, it is tricky because you want people to be prepared in case the ingredients do come together in a Level 3/4 fashion.