• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

My sister’s father-in-law (or FIL to be, they postponed the wedding obviously to all this) finally made it through to rehab.  Over two months on a ventilator from COVID.  Doesn’t remember weeks of his life.  Hasn’t stood up or moved a muscle in two months, going to be a long road to recovery but he’s in his 50s and of pretty decent/average health so should be able to do it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. I see too many intelligent people overthinking it too. The far gone are who they are but one would be surprised how many people you would think have gotten vaccinated have chosen not to.

I’m pretty surprised at my two good friends. Both educated, smart, level headed, etc etc. they both have not received the shot, and more than likely will only be getting it because it’s going to be required for them to return to in person work.

It’s not an anti vaccine stance... I think it’s more just overthinking. I think they are waiting for some boogeyman to arise, which isn’t happening. 

Like I’ve said before, I had covid in Feb, and am now fully vaccinated. My wife is still having taste and smell issues almost 4 months later. I’m much more concerned about long term covid side effects than a vaccine.

• Like 3

I have thought very little about COVID for the past couple weeks since things opened back up. It has rapidly faded from public consciousness for a lot of people.

The number of people I am seeing with masks is plummeting every day too. 

Glad the national nightmare is basically over. If you want the vax, you can easily get it with basically zero wait. If you want to vax your toddler, I guess that will soon be an option too. 

• Like 4

Not to harp on the Wuhan lab Theory but when CNBC puts out something this aggressive you realize US foreign policy maybe shifting . I mean it’s not like we just learned some new info , But  the political correctness of speaking about this (which effects people’s opinion formations) is at least temporarily gaining steam 

• Like 1

I’m glad mandates etc are coming to an end.   People overall really put in effort as best as they could to get this thing under control.  The vaccines are really squashing it here in the US and in my state.  Hopefully we never have to experience this again during our lives or our children’s lives

It will be good to see Fenway, TD, and Gillette full again. 

• Like 5

Meanwhile, Australia locks down its second-largest city over 26 cases...

I find this to be just crazy. There is no way the benefits of this kind of regular lockdown outweighs the negatives for the economy, education, and mental health.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/melbourne-australia-set-4th-lockdown-cluster-grows-77935216

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I find this to be just crazy. There is no way the benefits of this kind of regular lockdown outweighs the negatives for the economy, education, and mental health.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/melbourne-australia-set-4th-lockdown-cluster-grows-77935216

It's just plain strange.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah. My coworker in the room next door is Australian and has been updating me on how things are being done there.  Seems odd. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. My coworker in the room next door is Australian and has been updating me on how things are being done there.  Seems odd. 

They and Canada seem to have set the goal as zero cases. It's definitely a "competing in a triathlon while on a 30 day fast" kind of method. Just brutal, pointless, and probably unachievable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They and Canada seem to have set the goal as zero cases. It's definitely a "competing in a triathlon while on a 30 day fast" kind of method. Just brutal, pointless, and probably unachievable. 

That's exactly what it is.

Now that this looks like it was man-made and man-made to be a bio toxic weapon it seems pretty clear that if you are of the no vaccination ideology you’re not dealing with an organically occurring predator here - bear that in mind when you have your ideology. 

This could not be a more clear-cut case in which the circumstance requires exceptions to the purist’s rule - you’re playing against a loaded deck. In that sense you have to cheat to level the playing field and by that I mean compromise- part of being intelligent is knowing when that is truth. Try wrapping that into your conceit of virtue. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just saw Space X Starlink fly overhead. That was neat

That’s funny… this post of yours is right around the time that my friend texted me that he saw a meteor streak completely across the sky - huh. I would assume there’s a pretty obvious pattern difference between a man-made object in orbit and a burning up meteor ...

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That’s funny… this post of yours is right around the time that my friend texted me that he saw a meteor streak completely across the sky - huh. I would assume there’s a pretty obvious pattern difference between a man-made object in orbit and a burning up meteor ...

Yeah. Definitely not a meteor.   It was 100% Starlink.  Looked just like videos of it.  Prob 40 or so small lights in a row moving together.  Much slower than any meteor I’ve ever seen. Very cool   

34 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

And that’s the main reason I got the vaccine. I’m sure I’d have been just fine. But you never know. 

A lot of people ask if he had unhealthy habits, what his BMI was, or had underlying conditions... calling someone "unhealthy" is a tough nut to crack when they appear to be of average health.  Run 5 miles a day or is a gym rat?  No.  Walk 18-holes of golf at the country club?  Yes.  He was an average American who ended up on a ventilator for 2+ months... it may be less healthy than optimal, but he's someone who you don't register as healthy or unhealthy.  You don't even register them at all, ha.  Just normal.

On an aside, COVID led to some weird questioning... like it seems weird to ask about someone's prior health habits if you are just told they are in the hospital.  If someone says a family member is not doing well and is hospitalized for any number of conditions, say cancer.  No one is ever like "Well was it their fault?  Did they bring it on themselves?" Ha, what a way to be sympathetic.

It's an interesting insight into social interactions *if* an illness results in changes to public policy.

• Like 2

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. Definitely not a meteor.   It was 100% Starlink.  Looked just like videos of it.  Prob 40 or so small lights in a row moving together.  Much slower than any meteor I’ve ever seen. Very cool   

He agrees now that I brought it to his attention… He said it was moving slower than a typical meteor which made him pause

On 5/25/2021 at 2:05 PM, WhitinsvilleWX said:

those of you who are not wanting to get vaccinated ought to read the RIP James thread. 

Read that and ask yourself if you really want to take that chance, Possible side effects (I had zero (pfizer), or getting really sick and possibly die?? i know the odds are low, but do you really want to take that chance?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup. I see too many intelligent people overthinking it too. The far gone are who they are but one would be surprised how many people you would think have gotten vaccinated have chosen not to.

My wife is holding out for now. I really don't agree with her reasoning, but I have to respect it. She's off to Greece for 10days with her two girlfriends who are vaxed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Was there more bad news for crypto?  because it is dumping again...

More Gov spending news and inflation concerns likely causing the usual suspects to dump. It's a predictable cycle if you follow things closely and mostly ignorable if you are holding with house money.