Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

9 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would pay to put Greta in a self driving car 

What drives me most nuts about her is that she rails against Europe and the U.S., which are legitimately trying to derive more energy from clean sources, but is totally silent about China, which is by far the biggest source of emissions and is churning out coal plants like sausages.

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Looking for some travel suggestions, I am coming up to visit in Sept with wife and daughter and another couple and their daughter who have never been to New England. We are staying in ORH area and I am looking for a driving route where we can visit S VT, NH, and Maine in a day if possible? We are staying Thursday through Monday so time is limited. Any help is appreciated.

The first part is easy route 2. Maine would take some doing.

• Like 1

People didn’t understand the earlier tech and they failed to invest in it. Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean you ignore the financial gains. Banks are slow, wire transfers take days, fees are high. DeFi has huge potential with caveats. Not all will thrive but some are here to stay. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I mean pure speculation as long as you know it’s. Kind of a crapshoot.   Does anyone really know how it works and sustainability?  OTOH I came close to buying $2500 worth of bitcoin about 10 years ago.   That is $90M today....lol

Download coinbase and watch their diffferent learn and earn videos. Watch how it works and get free coins. 

lol on missing that investment...geez. Even $100 10 years ago would have been enough. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Download coinbase and watch their diffferent learn and earn videos. Watch how it works and get free coins. 

It cracked me up when they IPOed and all the executives dumped most of their shares on day one. Really inspires confidence :lol:

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, Hoth said:

It cracked me up when they IPOed and all the executives dumped most of their shares on day one. Really inspires confidence :lol:

Hedge funds make huge plays so Union Square did that with coinbase but that doesn’t necessarily equate to a lack of confidence. They did the same thing with several IPOs like twitter and zynga. 

One of Wilson’s earliest musings on cryptocurrency was in 2011, when he wrote that “an alternative currency with roots in peer to peer networks and based on an algorithm that is transparent to everyone is an idea whose time has come.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Modfan2 said:

Looking for some travel suggestions, I am coming up to visit in Sept with wife and daughter and another couple and their daughter who have never been to New England. We are staying in ORH area and I am looking for a driving route where we can visit S VT, NH, and Maine in a day if possible? We are staying Thursday through Monday so time is limited. Any help is appreciated.

Stay over in Portland one night and hit all the breweries. It’s just not a single day trip route 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

People didn’t understand the earlier tech and they failed to invest in it. Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean you ignore the financial gains. Banks are slow, wire transfers take days, fees are high. DeFi has huge potential with caveats. Not all will thrive but some are here to stay. 

Not investing in tech is one thing but if you can explain a tangible product that serves as a financial system that is expected to not be controlled by world governments good luck.

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Gotta improve those chargers or battery’s . I’m sure they will within 2-3 years 

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-owners-switching-gas-charging-a-hassle-study-2021-4?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Not sure why someone would not invest in a Level 2 charger if getting an EV.  There is some cost ($1k-5k depending...). 

• Like 1

Not sure why someone would not invest in a Level 2 charger if getting an EV.  There is some cost ($1k-5k depending...). 
I picked up a Check Bolt about 2 months ago. Pretty happy with it. The range is about 260 miles on a full charge. I installed a level 2 charger in my garage for it....but, being an electrician, it was easy.

The EVs definitely drive differently than a normal car. The acceleration is kind of nuts and they are silent.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I've met a few people with all electric and they all invested in the level 2, I guess if you only do 100 miles a week back and forth from work and stay home on weekends level 1 is ok.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son went there last night with his gf.  The one in the seaport.  He liked it but it wasn’t amazing or anything. He did say his gf’s steak was maybe the best one he ever tasted though. 

Best steak I ever ate was the restaurant on top of Ceasar’s in Lake Tahoe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

I picked up a Check Bolt about 2 months ago. Pretty happy with it. The range is about 260 miles on a full charge. I installed a level 2 charger in my garage for it....but, being an electrician, it was easy.

The EVs definitely drive differently than a normal car. The acceleration is kind of nuts and they are silent.

They are clearly the future, but some of the technology/infrastructure around them is not quite there yet.

With the higher voltage chargers, they definitely become more reasonable. But that adds to the cost and puts them firmly in "just doing this for the environment" territory still.

And even that is debatable.

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

As a electrical contractor I've installed probably a half dozen in the last several years . Everyone I did was a 50 or 60 amp circuit.  The last one I Installed a circuit for was a couple weeks ago for a customer/ friend.  Had to run the wire through a finished basement of a large home . Approximately 120 feet total run. Had to use #4 SEU aluminum and make a junction within 6 feet of garage wall in basement to transition to copper . Copper is through the roof right now as you know I'm sure . I made 3 holes in drywall and replaced the pieces.  Took me 8 hours by myself.  I charged him $800 . 120' of #6 Copper would have made it a $1,200  job . A non friend $1500 . I think he paid around $800-900  for the Tesla charger itself w/25' cord . So he had $1,600- 1,800 wrapped up .

You gave him a very good deal it sounds like.  

As a electrical contractor I've installed probably a half dozen in the last several years . Everyone I did was a 50 or 60 amp circuit.  The last one I Installed a circuit for was a couple weeks ago for a customer/ friend.  Had to run the wire through a finished basement of a large home . Approximately 120 feet total run. Had to use #4 SEU aluminum and make a junction within 6 feet of garage wall in basement to transition to copper . Copper is through the roof right now as you know I'm sure . I made 3 holes in drywall and replaced the pieces.  Took me 8 hours by myself.  I charged him $800 . 120' of #6 Copper would have made it a $1,200  job . A non friend $1500 . I think he paid around $800-900  for the Tesla charger itself w/25' cord . So he had $1,600- 1,800 wrapped up .
My level 2 charger cost me $600 from the dealer when I picked up the car. It's on a 40a circuit with #8 copper. It's not too far from the panel so I used a piece of wire I had lying around.

I do 75% of my driving in my work van. So this is more to mess around and figure out the pros and cons of owning an EV. I think the range and cost are where they need to be. If they can figure out a way to speed up the charging, then I think EVs will take off. They are fine for daily commutes, then plugging it in overnight at home. But if you want to take a long road trip, you have to really worry about where/when you can charge. Then, you may be sitting there for hours if it's not a DC fast charger. If you could recharge in 10-15 minutes from empty to full, then we will be into something. Maybe in a few years
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They are clearly the future, but some of the technology/infrastructure around them is not quite there yet.

With the higher voltage chargers, they definitely become more reasonable. But that adds to the cost and puts them firmly in "just doing this for the environment" territory still.

And even that is debatable.

It is definitely something still in its infancy. I’ve been reading about Electrify US which is mostly being done by Volkswagen due to their diesel issues a few years ago.  Their new ID 4 (which is a stupid name) also looks like a decent car

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

MA is banning the sale of NEW gas powered cars by 2035. My car is 3.5 years old. I’ll probably keep it at least another 2.5-3 more years. If incentives are still there or better, I may consider early adoption for my next car...

I see that being kicked down the road for at least a little while.  

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son went there last night with his gf.  The one in the seaport.  He liked it but it wasn’t amazing or anything. He did say his gf’s steak was maybe the best one he ever tasted though. 

He was there same time as me then. Stunning night.