Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Way too many trees here. A light ice coating might look nice and add to the winter scene. Beyond that, no thanks.

Me as well. Have many trees,  a few damaged extensively by the March 2018 ice / storm events. I pass on ice. 

Ice threat looks to diminish for this weekend, and the Euro has not been that convincing with its failures of late. 

By the way, where the hell did all the cold go ?

Seems the models can't forecast East of the Mississippi.  And certainly when they forecast cold for the East do not believe it, regardless of the magnitude.     

Read your posts, about Nina, etc. Makes sense, but damn, there was across the board consensus form the  EPS, GEFS, GEM ensembles for a period of cold that would feature below 32 degrees for days on end. And it went POOF ! 

I recall even mets stating the cold that was forecasted was very impressive.  I have been busy at work and thank goodness.  I jump off a bridge if I were tracking  all these failures the last few days and going back even months. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

HRRR has light icing in the area saturday afternoon but its spotty...seems like decent consensus now for this to be a spotty icing event...some issues still but not all that bad

I’m still seeing .15- .2 qpf of ice with temps of 28-29 in dc by hr. 42 with freezing rain ongoing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris21 said:

I’m still seeing .15- .2 qpf of ice with temps of 28-29 in dc by hr. 42 with freezing rain ongoing.

11 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

HRRR has light icing in the area saturday afternoon but its spotty...seems like decent consensus now for this to be a spotty icing event...some issues still but not all that bad

Can't emphasize enough that even .01" of ice with a cold antecedent air mass can be an absolute nightmare on the roads, as shown in Ft Worth yesterday.       As noted by @chris21the 12z HRRR verbatim is certainly a high impact event - plenty cold, and modest rates (which help accretion), but plenty dangerous on the roads and sidewalks and enough total QPF to threaten some power issues in areas where some of the (patchy) higher amounts fall.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

Can't emphasize enough that even .01" of ice with a cold antecedent air mass can be an absolute nightmare on the roads, as shown in Ft Worth yesterday.       As noted by @chris21the 12z HRRR verbatim is certainly a high impact event - plenty cold, and modest rates (which help accretion), but plenty dangerous on the roads and sidewalks and enough total QPF to threaten some power issues in areas where some of the (patchy) higher amounts fall.

My apologies, you're right...Deff looks like the biggest issues are DC-South and east but issues area wide

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yup. Icing is an uneven distribution, and frankly 0.2" zr at 27 degrees is worse than a driving rain at 31 degrees. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

My apologies, you're right...Deff looks like the biggest issues are DC-South and east but issues area wide

No need for apologies.     We're all used to hunting big QPF for winter events, and seeing some models showing 0.05 to 0.1" liquid naturally evokes a 'meh'.     We all just have to remember ZR, no matter the rates, is a nightmare when you have it falling with temps in the 20s onto surfaces that are "cold" going in to the event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The HRRR and NAM seem to agree that it is mostly freezing drizzle during the day Saturday and then there is a batch of ZR that moves through overnight.

DCA might have had a sub freezing day except for the midnight high.

Yes, and the NAM nest actually waits until after midnight Saturday night to get its heaviest precip going.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

The 12z Nam keeps most if not all the precipitation se of WDC as opposed to the 6z run. Looks heavier than 6z but more se. Is that accurate? May be on the road tomorrow. 

until later evening...then it looks like it starts as sleet...purple to red...unless I am reading it wrong

Just now, chris21 said:

RGEM would be over .2 qpf... a bit of sleet to freezing rain with temps around 26-29 in DC.

For reference, here is the winter storm / ice storm warning criteria from LWX:

Winter Storm Warning

A Winter Storm Warning is issued when a significant combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring or imminent.

Significant and hazardous winter weather is defined as a combination of:
1)  5 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 12-hour period or 7 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 24-hour period
AND/OR
2)  Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.
AND/OR
3)  a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and/or ice accumulation with wind.

The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Storm Warning for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (6 inches or more within a 12-hour period; 8 inches or more within a 24-hour period).

Ice Storm Warning

¼ inch or more of ice accumulation.

FWIW, the 12Z ICON has ~0.25-0.50" or so generally across the region through later Saturday night.  Stripe of 0.50" cuts right through the DC area.  The amounts are not as high or as expansive compared to 06Z, but still (and that could just be run-to-run variation).  Temperatures generally in the 25-30 degree range.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

FWIW, the 12Z ICON has ~0.25-0.50" or so generally across the region through later Saturday night.  Stripe of 0.50" cuts right through the DC area.  The amounts are not as high or as expansive compared to 06Z, but still (and that could just be run-to-run variation).  Temperatures generally in the 25-30 degree range.

Tuesday looks more impressive with ice to me for DC area on 12z ICON.  looks also a tad colder than Saturday/Sunday deal.  you see that too?  in fact it looks quite significant on second glance. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, sort of noticed that.  And Tuesday is looking more like a Monday night into early Tuesday event according to the ICON.

the Sunday ice might not have chance to melt away.  that sort of stalled front look could yield hours of drizzle keeping the "party" going

• Like 1

• stormtracker changed the title to February 13, 2021 Ice Storm Obs
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic