Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

In the end, GFS drops 7-8 at ORD like more or less every other model
True. I think it's the much narrower swath of good totals that's suspect but Chicago looking good still should say something. 10:1 is slightly higher than Pivotal Weather's Kuchera output on that run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

True. I think it's the much narrower swath of good totals that's suspect but Chicago looking good still should say something. 10:1 is slightly higher than Pivotal Weather's Kuchera output on that run.

yeah, I think far NE IL is sitting nice, with a little wiggle room to absorb north bumps which are probably coming given the strong advection regime 

and sub 10:1 probably fine for an event average, but I bet we do better than that during the period of best lift saturday evening despite the bad thermals

• Like 2

Famous last words. The caveat is the thermals. How far north does mixing enter the picture? The main forcing should be snow, but I could see it getting pretty sloppy/drizzly after that passes through.
I'm not too worried about it as long as the 850 mb low stays south of us. The lower level warm advection and fgen is going to do most of the work Saturday evening into early Sunday AM. During Sunday the system goes vertically stacked and fades east to east southeast so that would continue to keep 850 mb low to the south.

• Like 1

looks like we'll be getting about half the QPF of areas in N/C Illinois.  But ratios should be better up here so still hoping to get around 5" as a first guess.  Dry air still doesn't look to be an issue as all the dry air at 850 is shunted up to the UP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

A lot to like if you're in and around Chicago on the 12z NAM. Mid/upper level lows all take a nice track for a band of heavy snow. Think I-80 to the border is going to cash quite nicely. I think most times, these systems like to bleed a little further north than forecasted. Read the overnight AFD from LOT, and they have the heaviest a little farther north...I-88 to far north central IL. And mainly rain from I-80 to the south. Again, I think it's more I-80 on north for the heaviest snows...and the changeover to all rain, after a brief start of frozen, looks solid for the southern CWA.  

So your saying Accuweather’s forecast of 8-12 in our area is wrong?   Haha.  

More than likely the typical last minute nudge north will screw us.  Still thinking we get a few inches as things look now.  That I-80 snow  barrier is a killer.   Lol 

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

A lot to like if you're in and around Chicago on the 12z NAM. Mid/upper level lows all take a nice track for a band of heavy snow. Think I-80 to the border is going to cash quite nicely. I think most times, these systems like to bleed a little further north than forecasted. Read the overnight AFD from LOT, and they have the heaviest a little farther north...I-88 to far north central IL. And mainly rain from I-80 to the south. Again, I think it's more I-80 on north for the heaviest snows...and the changeover to all rain, after a brief start of frozen, looks solid for the southern CWA.  

I think that is a misread of the afd.  They mentioned some mixing south of I-80, but that does not suggest mostly rain.  Hell, the zone forecast for Kankakee county has several inches.

It will be nice when this version of the GFS is put out to pasture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ILX Discussion excerpt, from 10am:

Attention then turns to this weekend, as yet another weather system
lifts across the Mid-Mississippi Valley.  The latest ensemble and
probabilistic guidance suggests a very sharp cut-off in snow totals
along I-74, with periods of sleet and rain occurring progressively
to the south.  Some degree of uncertainty remains on timing, but
light precip should spread into the region by Noon on Saturday.

With the latest 12z guidance trickling in, the swath of 2+ inch
snowfall has trended north of I-74; perhaps well north. Instead,
sleet and rain should be the dominant precip type this weekend
across central and southern IL where minor flooding could occur.

So...sounds like they're thinking rain for PIA. I saw weatherunderground went from 8 inches, to 4 inches, to 2 inches, now to an inch of rain.