Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 25th Wintry Mix Obs and Nowcasting

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I think either way we are fooked....my area, yours, and nearby. NS pass suppresses the system and is still torchy. Strung out W->E wave too warm unless in Central and N PA. Even meeting in the middle is a fail situation it seems. Need major changes and it is getting late in the game for that.

This is likely cooked for the coastal plain. I think its just the Euro and its baby brother that still have any decent snow, and that's mainly for the northern crew up near the PA line. The ICON and CMC are both pretty torcherific. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I think either way we are fooked....my area, yours, and nearby. NS pass suppresses the system and is still torchy. Strung out W->E wave too warm unless in Central and N PA. Even meeting in the middle is a fail situation it seems. Need major changes and it is getting late in the game for that.

West to east waves really only work when there is good cold in front of them.   Two things working in conjunction made this harder then it looked from range.  One is that even though the airmass coming in ahead of this is polar in origin its simply not that cold.  It gets easily bullied out of the way by that very weak washing out northern stream wave.  The second is that NS wave.  Even though its weak...the flow around it still wrecks the thermal profile ahead of the southern wave.  So it took both...the cold is pathetic for a polar airmass on Jan 25...but it still would have been good enough had that NS wave not come across ahead of the southern wave.  On the other hand....had there been a truly cold by normal Jan 25 polar airmass standards...the thermals probably could have survived that weak NS wave.  But both those factors together...womp womp 

9 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Yeah, even my last hope the NAM took a step towards the globals for temps at 850.  However it picked up on some weak CAD that has me in the blue in Augusta County along with some of the more northerly western VA crew.  NAM at range with rain 10 miles south of mby- what could go wrong?  Lock it in.  :raining:

1375106892_Screenshot2021-01-22at10_05_48AM.png.fe5d190d32011dd3539a97eea0d75396.png

That snow is caused by the dynamics of the precip. If you look at the 850’s there they are above freezing and then drop below once the precip gets there. I would imagine that same drop would take place further north as the precip advances. Of course it’s the NAM

• Thanks 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

That snow is caused by the dynamics of the precip. If you look at the 850’s there they are above freezing and then drop below once the precip gets there. I would imagine that same drop would take place further north as the precip advances. Of course it’s the NAM

it makes me feel awesome that we need to rely on dynamic cooling to get snow in the mountains from a blocking regime on January 26th!  

• Haha 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm comparing the 500mb maps at hr 72 vs 6z and the ridging and energy are both ticked N sir.

You both are correct...the track isnt better but the heights out in front are lower so its a little colder and therefore more winter precip at least initially but we arent talking snow for the cities so whatebs

• Like 1

Thermals are better.  I think the farther NW surface low actually helps that by providing a little more room for the high pressure and confluence to push in and keep us colder with the WAA precip. But then GFS keeps that primary low going much longer than previously, which is not helpful.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chris21 said:

Looks like an ice situation south of 1-70

its borderline south of I70...temps flirt between 30-33 the whole time...so yeah probably ice verbaitm but widespread ice? eh...Looks like ice from I70 to PA line to me and then mostly snow north of Gettysburg to york