Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Dude, it's the weekend. A long one at that. Stop being grounded in logic, facts, and smarts and weenie out a little. We can deal with the cold wet reality when it gets here. For now it's all about digital blues no matter how silly they may seem

In order to get into the proper weenie mindset and overwhelm the cold hard facts, I would need to see some hope for my yard. There isn't any lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Still looks like we could be set up for a decent period heading into March, IF the blocking verifies and is even a bit stronger. Pretty good indication of enough confluence where one or more waves ejecting eastward could take a favorable track. If the blocking doesn't materialize or is weaker, the SE ridge will end up bulging northward with the advertised EPAC look.

1614643200-vhkUL3rQ0qo.png

I have something bulging northward but it isn’t the SE ridge. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Noticing that with every run of the NAM from 0z to now heights are lowered and there's a subtle SE push with each run.   Noticed it on the GFS.  Could be nothing.  Could be me wishcasting.  Likely

There are some positive trends. I’ve just seen and been burned so many times by this type of setup that it’s hard to get excited. But I’ll bite. Why not. I’ll join the weenie crusade. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 5

17 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Noticing that with every run of the NAM from 0z to now heights are lowered and there's a subtle SE push with each run.   Noticed it on the GFS.  Could be nothing.  Could be me wishcasting.  Likely

Don’t you read? It’s time to just give up. Or are you weeining out? Lol

24 minutes ago, CAPE said:

In order to get into the proper weenie mindset and overwhelm the cold hard facts, I would need to see some hope for my yard. There isn't any lol.

I've found that when powdery snow is in short supply (or no supply) a couple 8 balls of powdery premium peruvian blow fixes everything and then some. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Weenie 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

Imagine if this was to go like our supposed two wave storm last week...where it kept getting suppressed south and we back our way into a snow or mainly snow/ice storm.

Jokes aside, while too far north for a sweet outcome, there is decent compressed flow/confluence to our north showing up and it's beefing up the surface hp pressing the cad wedge. Still crap flow in the mids and that usually = less snow/more sleet than modeled by gametime. But we're pretty far out in time. Fair to say that an impactful event is becoming more likely as we move thru time. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I thought GFS didn’t model CAD well ?  If so, we may be in business.

12Z GFSsays the temperature at Winchester at 7:00 a.m. Thursday is 23.  At 10:00 a.m., 24.  Still 24 at 1:00 p.m. Only 25 at 4:00 p.m., 26 at 7:00 p.m. 

Para supposedly handles cad better. 

Look at 10m winds on the gfs @ hr102 (18z thurs). STILL ne surface flow. Click previous run 5+ times and see how it's trending. No hint of southerly flow now. NE winds all the way down to the carolina's. Strenghtening confluence is doing some dirty work. Euro's version obviously even more stout. Interesting. And only d4 now. 

• Like 11

I'm going to focus on the GFS para entirely, because the original schedule would have made this the operational by now....  (The delay had nothing to do with model skill; some adjustments were needed to make it run a little faster to avoid delays for downstream systems).    While it still turns everyone over to ZR/IP/RA by the end of the day     1) it comes in with an impressive thump of snow for those north of I-66 (VA) and 50 (MD)  and outside the DC Beltway    2)   has over 1" of liquid for the northern half of the area      3)   keeps areas west and northwest of I-95 below freezing for most of the day                Verbatim, it's a winter storm for most, and the northern areas (and maybe as far south as Baltimore/Howard/Montgomery/Loudoun) are still in the game for 4-6" of snow before a transition.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5