• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ampongabezo
    Newest Member
    ampongabezo

January Banter 2021

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely a winter day at work today especially this morning with the wind . As a result the homeowners didnt bother to come outside while I was working on their new generator install lol. 

Don’t you hate it when the homeowner hovers over you while you’re working? :whistle:

Green Bay’s forecast is for snow until 3pm tomorrow with a kickoff of 2pm local time. They have a heated field so it shouldn’t be a big deal, but hopefully the snow hangs around for the first half.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FXW176 said:

Oh shit. Sorry about that. ;)

The worst, dude. The worst

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Is it just me or does someone seem like they're about to ignite? I feel a full on meltdown coming soon from them....I'm making popcorn 

He has carried us through many a dark period with reasoned analysis, so he's earned a meltdown.  And it's completely justified to be disgusted with this winter so far. 

12 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

Had a ton of oranges that I didn't want to see go bad... Juicer and Tito's helped fix the issue. How's the snow coming along?

Great if you live in northern Canada!

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I drank my 120 I was saving for the games tomorrow. :o

Oh well, stouts will have to do.

I’m heading to Key Brewing tomorrow for the first game. They have their Siberian summer Russian imperial stout on tap 

• Like 3

Replying to this in banter.

24 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

but what can ya do? I guess you just enjoy the heck out of the snow you get and don't complain, lol 

I try to look around and be appreciative of the entire civilization that is associated with our warmer base state.  Flooding the atmosphere with "you know what" isn't just some enormous accident; it is the byproduct of a transformation in the world which has impacted every aspect of human life, and has led to this being the most materially secure, healthiest, best educated, well-fed generation in the history of the species.  Our warmer world is a price we are paying for the houses we live in, the food we eat, the cars we drive, the electricity we have, the medicine we take. the knowledge we have in our heads and the phones that we carry around in our pocket.  As much as I hate warming, so far I would say it has been a good bargain for our species.  Whether it remains so in the future remains to be seen of course.

Put it another way; we would all love to return to snowfall and cold from the 1880's, but would we be willing to take the 1880's standard of living that comes along with it? 

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

They have their Siberian summer Russian imperial stout on tap 

I'm miffed at Siberia right now.  They have stolen all our cold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'm miffed at Siberia right now.  They have stolen all our cold.

Might as well drink their beer lol or at least one named after them anyway 

2 hours ago, caviman2201 said:

Had a ton of oranges that I didn't want to see go bad... Juicer and Tito's helped fix the issue. How's the snow coming along?

Mmmm Tito’s 

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer: not posting this to start a debate about CC. Just talking/analyzing numbers,trends,etc. I hope this is fair to discuss on here.

Been seeing lots of talk on the board recently about just how it is to snow around here now. Below are the last 50 years of snowfall at BWI w average and median plotted. Our most recent 2 winters have sucked thus far to state the obvious, but highs and lows have and always will be there. Variability has increased w the obvious outliers sticking out like a sore thumb.....95-96, 02-03, and 09-10 on the high end. Our most recent 10 year period had the lowest avg (16.6”) of the 5 decades followed closely by 1970-1971 to 1979-1980 (17.2”).91D198D7-BEE3-418D-B310-1CD17ACD71F8.thumb.jpeg.0393d3ff072b673a3de89203eaf87e78.jpeg

3 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Disclaimer: not posting this to start a debate about CC. Just talking/analyzing numbers,trends,etc. I hope this is fair to discuss on here.

Been seeing lots of talk on the board recently about just how it is to snow around here now. Below are the last 50 years of snowfall at BWI w average and median plotted. Our most recent 2 winters have sucked thus far to state the obvious, but highs and lows have and always will be there. Variability has increased w the obvious outliers sticking out like a sore thumb.....95-96, 02-03, and 09-10 on the high end. Our most recent 10 year period had the lowest avg (16.6”) of the 5 decades followed closely by 1970-1971 to 1979-1980 (17.2”).91D198D7-BEE3-418D-B310-1CD17ACD71F8.thumb.jpeg.0393d3ff072b673a3de89203eaf87e78.jpeg

I think the biggest impact is it’s turning some of our already bad years into atrocious dumpster fires. A year that maybe was destined to be 9” or 11” ( bad but not god awful) before is like 5” now.  DC is on the verge of having 5 winters (2011/12, 12/13, 16/17, 19/20 and 20/21???) in the last 10 that would all have qualified as a “dud of the decade” in most 10 year stretches from 1880 to 2000.  That’s kinda hard to resolve as bad luck. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think the biggest impact is it’s turning some of our already bad years into atrocious dumpster fires. A year that maybe was destined to be 9” or 11” ( bad but not god awful) before is like 5” now.  DC is on the verge of having 5 winters (2011/12, 12/13, 16/17, 19/20 and 20/21???) in the last 10 that would all have qualified as a “dud of the decade” in most 10 year stretches from 1880 to 2000.  That’s kinda hard to resolve as bad luck. 

Fair point on DC. 4 of the last 10 seasons w < 5”. That’s abysmal. DCA is also in THE absolutely worst spot in the area especially for marginal events, which are our speciality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Fair point on DC. 4 of the last 10 seasons w < 5”. That’s abysmal. DCA is also in THE absolutely worst spot in the area especially for marginal events, which are our speciality. 

Correct which is why they are ahead of (or under) the downward curve but we’re all feeling it. Just not to that level...yet.  But DCA isn’t totally a local fluke...ask @H2O how it’s been lately in that area. 

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I always have wondered what experiencing winters pre-industrial revolution climate would have been like. My guess is DC in the 1800s averaged at least 10 more inches of snow but would have look at the data. 

2 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

I always have wondered what experiencing winters pre-industrial revolution climate would have been like. My guess is DC in the 1800s averaged at least 10 more inches of snow but would have look at the data. 

update: From Washington Post, imrs.php-2.jp2 It is easy to see the decline. Seems like 10-15 more inches on average would have been a good bet for early 1800s extrapolating the trend-line back a little further. 

6 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

update: From Washington Post, imrs.php-2.jp2 It is easy to see the decline. Seems like 10-15 more inches on average would have been a good bet for early 1800s extrapolating the trend-line back a little further. 

In 130 years DCs mean snowfall has gone from ~22” to ~14” in a very steady rate of decline. This (the fact it’s warning and snowing less) doesn’t seem debatable Imo. The cause may be but we’re not getting into THAT! 

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

In 130 years DCs mean snowfall has gone from ~22” to ~14” in a very steady rate of decline. This (the fact it’s warning and snowing less) doesn’t seem debatable Imo. The cause may be but we’re not getting into THAT! 

it is frustrating when you think about it. This same exact winter 130 years ago probably would have produced already double digit snowfall for the season by now. You remember that storm back in December where you mixed to sleet, that would have been all snow for you and you would have gotten probably a foot of snow out of it. And now that I am thinking about it with a colder background state, the baroclinic zone  would have been further south for that storm so I am sure some of these misses to the north so far this winter would not have been back then. 

35 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

What about Bwi, philly, pitt, Boston, NY, Rich ? 

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Was there asphalt in DC in 1890 ? Or 1930? 

Huge Urban development, UHI,population changes 

2 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Replying to this in banter.

I try to look around and be appreciative of the entire civilization that is associated with our warmer base state.  Flooding the atmosphere with "you know what" isn't just some enormous accident; it is the byproduct of a transformation in the world which has impacted every aspect of human life, and has led to this being the most materially secure, healthiest, best educated, well-fed generation in the history of the species.  Our warmer world is a price we are paying for the houses we live in, the food we eat, the cars we drive, the electricity we have, the medicine we take. the knowledge we have in our heads and the phones that we carry around in our pocket.  As much as I hate warming, so far I would say it has been a good bargain for our species.  Whether it remains so in the future remains to be seen of course.

Put it another way; we would all love to return to snowfall and cold from the 1880's, but would we be willing to take the 1880's standard of living that comes along with it? 

We could just move. God willing I’ll be in Colorado or New England ski country someday and not stressing model runs to get snow. I’ll still always do this...but it’s less stressful when you know even if this one misses there will be another and it will snow.