• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday-Monday Jan 3-4 potential rapidly intensifying ene moving nor'easter along the mid Atlantic coast with rain to snow mainly I84 to near I95 north through west of NYC

wdrag

January 2, 2021 605AM Update: Am probably not commenting for our NYC forum on anything beyond 9AM January 4, which is about the still possible extension for eastern New England. That part of our oncoming light to moderate Nor'Easter snow event for the entire I84 corridor, will not happen for us. The remainder of the NY Day comments below seem reasonable. My anticipation is a widespread plowable 2-6" elevation dependent snow event from I95 northward through the I84 corridor and probably I90 eastern NYS and northern NJ/ne PA eastward through southern New England.  I-84 valleys will manage this better because of marginal melting temps (32-34F)  and the southeast edge near I95 will also be manageable, in part because a little rain/freezing rain/sleet is possible there. as well as the daytime temps near 33F.  So, it's a mixed bag but the I84 corridor should enjoy this, with the primary event mainly Noon Sunday-6AM Monday. This storm will probably affect some of the return home holiday travel and also may force some Monday morning 2 hr cleanup delays, especially CT-MA portion where it still may be snowing a bit. NYC-LI should see a touch of snow/sleet but whether it measures or not and where, i don't know. My guess is eastern LI may do a little better and thats where there will probably be some wind gusts to 35 MPH but NYC might also see less than an inch??  There will be 1 or 2 brief periods of moderate snow with this event, but I'm not thinking of more than 10 to 1 snow ratios, possibly only 7 or 8 to 1 near I95. Will begin the OBS/NOWcast thread later tonight. Earliest part of snow/sleet/very brief ice arrival is around 8A-10AM Sunday for our NJ eastern PA membership. I don't anticipate adding any further potentially helpful information until maybe this evening. Noting the WPC ensembles for more than 2" are not very enthusiastic for this event, so we need to keep in mind failure. They also weren't as enthusiastic as they should have been for glaze this past night and the SPc SREF did much better. It already has 2-4" in ne PA by 7PM tomorrow night. Keep an eye on the SPC HREF MEAN snowfall after the 12z/2 cycle completes around 1030AM.  The HRRRX was all over the place for this freezing rain/sleet/snow event that is wrapping up now and am not referencing it today. I as others here , like consistency in the modeling.  One event at a time.  reposted here at 755A

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NepaJames8602 said:

Where in the Poconos are you? I’m in Southern Wayne county, the far northern portion of the Pocono Plateau. Located in Pocono springs, in Newfoundland. I’m at just under 2,100 feet, roughly 2,080’. 3 to 6 sounds very reasonable for us at and above 2k.

Penn Forest Township near Bear Creek and Lake Harmony, around the same elevation as you!

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

Don't unfortunately but it's about .5-.6 qpf for most of the region, temps never go above freezing in your area so would think that's a solid 3-6 inches at least, possibly more. 

3-6 is still a solid bet, maybe swing up to 4-8 depending. Going to be a nice event not unlike last January 18 (I think?)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Agree someone there will get crushed but possibly some elevated areas of this subforum may get 8 inches or so 

I'd favor 1250-1500+' areas for the 8 inch totals and a general 2-6 everywhere else. Ratios will probably not be the perfect 10:1 but still pretty close regardless.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Yeah, still looking like 2-4 in our area. 

Yea it’s pretty solid all snow event up there at this point. The iffy areas look like Westchester, Rockland and NE NJ. Depending on what model depends if it’s mostly rain vs a few inches of wet snow. Tough call because I think in this setup the rain/snow line won’t move that much.