• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec (Edit: Jan1/..2 ) multi-faceted ptype mess potential...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, powderfreak said:

Euro stays the course.

Gets the mix line up to about here before it gets shunted south again.

ecmwf-deterministic-vt-total_snow_10to1-9621200.thumb.png.b6180cca9f18fa5e8fa59aadee7242bc.png

Should I expect some downsloping/precip holes here with the precip coming up from the SW? This is my first SWFE here I think (in the winter at least). Models have a kinda spotty look near here now (more over Whitefield but close enough to have me wondering). Maybe it's just noise.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Should I expect some downsloping/precip holes here with the precip coming up from the SW? This is my first SWFE here I think (in the winter at least). Models have a kinda spotty look near here now (more over Whitefield but close enough to have me wondering). Maybe it's just noise.

No. These are good events for you and me. The SW flow is in the upper levels. The low levels have a NE ageostrophic drain with the CAD. This run just has better forcing in S NH versus N NH so I end up with a good quick thump before the changeover. Sometimes it just happens.

Just now, dendrite said:

No. These are good events for you and me. The SW flow is in the upper levels. The low levels have a NE ageostrophic drain with the CAD. This run just has better forcing in S NH versus N NH so I end up with a good quick thump before the changeover. Sometimes it just happens.

OK, so just some model noise with banding/forcing instead of a fundamental geographic flaw. LOL 

No worries in that case.

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, so just some model noise with banding/forcing instead of a fundamental geographic flaw. LOL 

No worries in that case.

Your in a good spot, These SWFE are good events for here back to you and Brian, Just a matter of how far the WF pushes north before crashing back south once the SLP develops in the GOM, Probably a thump on the front end some frdz then back to snow when it develops, Back in 07/08 i had 35 events that winter, Many were these SWFE and ended up 3rd all time with 137.8" when we avg 72".

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No worries in that case.

Lol... so worried about a possible flaw, it cracks me up every time.

Models show 5” instead of 7” and I picture you going “uh oh did I buy the wrong place?  Someone tell me its just noise.  Can’t have an imperfect wind flow.”  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, powderfreak said:

Lol... so worried about a possible flaw or possibly not jackpotting, it cracks me up every time.

Models show 5” instead of 7” and I picture you going “uh oh did I buy the wrong place?”  :lol: 

You have to remember, Phin is from the mid atlantic where you had to scratch and claw for every inch possible............:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dryslot said:

You have to remember, Phin is from the mid atlantic where you had to scratch and claw for every inch possible............:lol:

Missing out on a storm like this down there means your whole winter might be over. The vibe in the MA forum right now is utter hopelessness. I think the bread and butter zone gang sometimes gets a little too high up into the clouds and forgets. LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Missing out on a storm like this down there means your whole winter might be over. The vibe in the MA forum right now is utter hopelessness. I think the bread and butter zone gang sometimes gets a little too high up into the clouds and forgets. LOL

Been tough down there the last few years after that epic 09/10 that i love to forget about but can't.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Lol we are a little too high in the clouds.  It’s true though even 5 years ago it used to bother me missing an event but since about 2015-16, just wait for the next shortwave.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dryslot said:

More generous then the 12km Nam....lol

Bufkit is spitting out some higher numbers (~3") but it's not the best look from the 12z. Most of the lift is below the DGZ. Even though I think it'll thump for a couple of hours here, that's probably not going to be better than 10:1, so a couple inches and then mixy. 

Not totally sold on the backside snows either. Good lift in the DGZ, but who knows what the temps will be by then. Interior may be able to score some bonus out of it though.

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Bufkit is spitting out some higher numbers (~3") but it's not the best look from the 12z. Most of the lift is below the DGZ. Even though I think it'll thump for a couple of hours here, that's probably not going to be better than 10:1, so a couple inches and then mixy. 

Not totally sold on the backside snows either. Good lift in the DGZ, but who knows what the temps will be by then. Interior may be able to score some bonus out of it though.

Nam gets the WF pretty far north before retreating.

Just now, Modfan2 said:

I think this over performs south in of the Pike in the sleet department, maybe .15 ice in scattered locations

Cold layer below the warm tongue is pretty deep for the first several hours, so I wouldn't be surprised at a pretty good sleet-fest for a time. Esp in the zone between the pike and N CT/N RI. 

38 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

I think this over performs south in of the Pike in the sleet department, maybe .15 ice in scattered locations

I’m going under .5 of snow / sleet.. to prolonged zr at 30-31.. and then rots at 33-34 last few hours of precip here. I won’t be shocked if it comes in as straight zr. I know how these work here 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m going under .5 of snow / sleet.. to prolonged zr at 30-31.. and then rots at 33-34 last few hours of precip here. I won’t be shocked if it comes in as straight zr. I know how these work here 

I think you’ll pelt a lot and have at least 3-4hrs of ZR at like 30-31.